Technics inthemix50 results

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
Stray

Technics inthemix50 results

Post by Stray »

http://www.inthemix.com.au/50/2005/

1 Kid Kenobi NSW
2 Nik Fish NSW
3 Mark Dynamix NSW
4 Bexta NSW
5 Ajax NSW

I wonder what the ratio of people voting from VIC and NSW is
Looking at the list it seems a bit one sided

:?
great_magnet
crazy diamond

Post by great_magnet »

Hmmm... :roll:
This ain't no party
This ain't no disco
This ain't no foolin' around
Penno

Post by Penno »

AS IF AJAX IS SO BETTER THAN BEXTA WTF!?!?!!

Yeah fully.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.
dan

Post by dan »

Sa joke
www.digitalthugz.com life, n: The whim of 116189126151512 cells to be you for a while.â„¢
stovequeen

Re: Technics inthemix50 results

Post by stovequeen »

Stray wrote:http://www.inthemix.com.au/50/2005/

1 Kid Kenobi NSW
2 Nik Fish NSW
3 Mark Dynamix NSW
4 Bexta NSW
5 Ajax NSW

I wonder what the ratio of people voting from VIC and NSW is
Looking at the list it seems a bit one sided

:?
:smt012
Penno

Post by Penno »

12 Phil K VIC

Hmm... I would've thought closer to "1"

20 Grant Smilie VIC

:!:
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Yeah, like thats a real representation of the AUSTRALIAN DANCE MUSIC scene!!!!!!!
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

listings number 2 through 5 are brought to you by the vitamins K, E and MDA. whaddajoke.

Kid Kenobi is a worthy winner, however.
DRS wrote:It’s uplifting while we drift through time,
‘cause we keep pushing the vibe.
Hardy

Post by Hardy »

What a surprise.
Stray

Post by Stray »

I don't understand why they don't split it up into genres
What's the point in comparing bexta with dexter??
Penno

Post by Penno »

Stray wrote:I don't understand why they don't split it up into genres
To see who's BEST der...

Yeah it smells...
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

'tis a fair call.... the size of a scene's popularity shouldn't govern someones presumed and reported talents as a DJ. How many d'n'b heads check out ITM anyway -- there's nobody in the Top 50 is there???
LukeMcD

Post by LukeMcD »

What the F*#@k .

Funny they ask Boogs to do the mix CD.

The Dj with the most fans is never going to be the best Dj in my eyes but then its all a matter of taste anyway so if the majority like these guys then I just pitty the majority.

Kid Kenobi - Quality but not no one in my eyes but who cares what I think
!
You're the kind of person who reads things !

www.smashbangrecords.com
ADD_Boy
like a tiger

Post by ADD_Boy »

Direktor wrote:
'tis a fair call.... the size of a scene's popularity shouldn't govern someones presumed and reported talents as a DJ. How many d'n'b heads check out ITM anyway -- there's nobody in the Top 50 is there???
Yeah -- > A dnb/breaks head is worth 100 little candy raver fucks anyway . not fair!
PUCK YOU MISS ~~!
great_magnet
crazy diamond

Post by great_magnet »

I think it's fair to say that the ITM top 50 is based purely on popularity and not talent or ground-breaking skills. It's very much like Australian Idol in that regard. It's a pity that these kind of contests very rarely fall in favour of those truly pushing the boundaries and is rarely representative of what a broad cross section of people are going to see.

Having said that, in the scheme of things we are in the minority on MB.C, with the majority of punters voting on ITM generally preferring other ends of the dance music spectrum.

Have to say I'm not suprised at all at the result.
This ain't no party
This ain't no disco
Penno

Post by Penno »

Yeah. Should be on % of votes from that genre, and then an overall one as well. Like how they've set up the states...
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

someone needs to start an Oz Broken Beats Awards - with the whole gamut of awards for breaks and d'n'b... maybe in conjunction with other states web sites, that'd be cool!!! 8)
lynt

Post by lynt »

I hope that mass email out actually worked! And to think my Mum got her office to put in for Lyntyboy.

:roll: :lol:

I wonder what the Kid is going to do with 2 sets of Tech DZ-12's.
lucas
emission reductionist

Post by lucas »

Direktor wrote:someone needs to start an Oz Broken Beats Awards - with the whole gamut of awards for breaks and d'n'b... maybe in conjunction with other states web sites, that'd be cool!!! 8)
http://australianbeats.com/

:shock:
"Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted." - Martin Luther King Jr.
cobbernuts

Post by cobbernuts »

ho hum. every time the itm top fifty comes out, or the djmag one hundred or the fuckitmynoseisrunning top onety four comes out, this piss taking of the polls gets rolled out too.

its a popularity contest not a dj contest.
it doesn't matter what genre they play.

to use a football comparison, its not a best and fairest award, judged by peers or umpires, its a crowd favourite award.

they're not trying to figure out who is the most capable dj, they're trying to figure out who the most people would pay to go and see, so they can sell the info to smirnoff and vodaphone and whoever else wants to invest money in the scene.

which as far as i'm concerned is fine, because :
a)smirnoff, vodaphone etc throw events that consume a whole bunch of people that i don't want in clubs that i go to and
b)without that money we wouldn't occaisionally have the lineup like we had at good vibes last summer for example.
How far down the rabbit hole do you want to go?
shepherd

Post by shepherd »

why do people hate on this competition?

it does everything it says it will - it's a public poll across genres.

it reflects where genre popularity lies in australian dance music, like it or not.
sweetcheeks

Post by sweetcheeks »

s'like those reality tv progs where perth and adelaide always win because people from perth and adelaide are the only ones who can be bothered taking the time to vote. hard house motherfuckers still jacked on meth up their bumholes click 1 for Nik Fish! suck mine you wankers
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

lucas wrote:
Direktor wrote:someone needs to start an Oz Broken Beats Awards - with the whole gamut of awards for breaks and d'n'b... maybe in conjunction with other states web sites, that'd be cool!!! 8)

hehe. :smt023
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

shepherd wrote:why do people hate on this competition?

it reflects where genre popularity lies in australian dance music, like it or not.
very true. I take back part of what I said earlier. more people need to vote, obviously.
Penno

Post by Penno »

shepherd wrote: like it or not.
not
shepherd

Post by shepherd »

Penno wrote:
not
system raises a valid point - how many people voted?

if you want to see your scene represented you need to make noise and vote ... i think in many ways it shows the passion other genres exhibit is far greater than perhaps breaks and drum&bass.

It's such a cop out to dismiss results based on the placegetters genre.
dan

Post by dan »

I think it just shows what genres are popular with InTheMix users.

Im a little surprised that so many of the Aus DJ's I rate highly didnt get a mention. Maybe ive just got shit taste.

On digitalthugz we had the voting button on the front page throughout. Trying to increase the bbeaters standings this year. Admittedly we are a small site, we've only had 500 000 hits all year 8) So im not sure how much it helped but still ..its the thought that counts right? :lol:
www.digitalthugz.com life, n: The whim of 116189126151512 cells to be you for a while.â„¢
Stray

Post by Stray »

I voted for DJ Awesome :smt023
SoulWhiteMan

Post by SoulWhiteMan »

I voted for Phil K and Lyntbwoy
fikuss

Post by fikuss »

i voted
killeye

Post by killeye »

i voted...i vote every year!
kinda suprised not to see El Hornet/Pendulum on the list considering those guy's success/exposure (maybe thats more so on an inernational scale) :smt017
"That's my desire, keep pushing, keep striving"

killeye myspace
TimmyG

Post by TimmyG »

Yep it's an uninformed vote that's for sure

..but
system wrote:
lucas wrote:

hehe. :smt023
WTF?! Cool!
same o
peteybear™

Post by same o »

every one would like it if it had more people from the genre of music that they like, however i think people tend to forget that although d'n;b is fucken wicked it aint the most popular genre, and with a place like sydney where d'n'b is next to non existant i dont think it is possible.. however all i can say is congrats to those that got in they obviously do what they do very well, even if it is beatmatching a metronome with a bassline
great_magnet
crazy diamond

Post by great_magnet »

shepherd wrote:
Penno wrote:
not

if you want to see your scene represented you need to make noise and vote ... i think in many ways it shows the passion other genres exhibit is far greater than perhaps breaks and drum&bass.

I don't think it's right to question the passion of anyone commenting in this thread, it's fair to say that everyone within this community exhibits an extremely high level of passion about music and their chosen genres.

I understand your viewpoint Ben, but it doesn't disguise the fact that much like many of the popularity contests that pass as entertainment these days, online polls are more reflective of the online community not necessarily the dance music consuming public. It's definitely not a definitive guide to passion levels of the dance music populis at large.

It's just a trend I don't personally enjoy seeing in society. Music is not a popularity contest or a tool for generating demographic data for marketing campaigns. Nothing seems to be sacred these days and it's a distressing state of affairs.
This ain't no party
This ain't no disco
Terry Tate
Location: come in! this is lonely soldier! my location is....bookshop!

Post by Terry Tate »

didnt greg packer use to poll pretty highly in the top 50?
i think i remember him getting 3rd or something a few years back.
if it bothers people that much. vote heaps.
i dont see things changing.
kid kenobi = itm #1 just like andy c = dnba #1 every year.
New Hampshire's alright if you like fighting.
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

does it really??? i would have voted, but i didn't even know the comp was on! I really don't think a shitload of breaks and d'n'b heads visit ITM. I might be wrong, but I thought that's why this site exists (alongside other Beats-related sites in other states)...
great_magnet
crazy diamond

Post by great_magnet »

Doesn't really bother me that much, just like raining down fire and brimstone from my high and mighty pulpit... It's all good, just feeling all righteous this morning.

Might go watch that Terry Tate ad to cheer me up... :wink:
This ain't no party
This ain't no disco
Sooty the rabbit

Post by Sooty the rabbit »

Who the hell are half of those dudes that got voted in the list....????

Seriously, I think Melbourne should seek independance from the rest of Australia.... we're already in another world down here....
shepherd

Post by shepherd »

great_magnet wrote:
I don't think it's right to question the passion of anyone commenting in this thread, it's fair to say that everyone within this community exhibits an extremely high level of passion about music and their chosen genres.
OK fair point - but don't you find it weird there's so much passion thrown around after the fact - not much passion beforehand ... it's a long bow but one could assume that it's easier for people to be negative and can the contest and it's concept rather than proactively try and support it.

I understand your viewpoint Ben, but it doesn't disguise the fact that much like many of the popularity contests that pass as entertainment these days, online polls are more reflective of the online community not necessarily the dance music consuming public. It's definitely not a definitive guide to passion levels of the dance music populis at large.
i'd disagree but that's my opinion - itm has a pretty solid monthly reach (approx 60k according to May Neilsen Netratings) so has to be the highest reaching dance music content provider. I personally don't mind the popularity contest component of it - and I hazard to say that most promoters/DJs would definitely leverage the exposure and recognition if they charted. ALSO - and I'm rapt Blueprint won this and think he desevred it - but Nokia Connecting Beats is equally a popularity contest if you want to argue that anything public voted is always going to be skewed ... no one has mentioned this ...
It's just a trend I don't personally enjoy seeing in society. Music is not a popularity contest or a tool for generating demographic data for marketing campaigns. Nothing seems to be sacred these days and it's a distressing state of affairs.
but you work in marketing dude - don't you - i think if companies like diageo want to spend six figures on something like this it's far better than them spending 6-7 figures on some shit campaign that isn't going to cut through to the market they want to target. this comp won the 2004 AWWWARD for best integrated campaign and I think initiaitves like this should be celebrated - Diageo wanted to penetrate the dance audience and realised to do so they needed to provide something of real value. I think it's a bit cynical to look at it purely as a marketing vessel and nothing else.

edit: i should disclose i was involved in the comp last year - 2004.
great_magnet
crazy diamond

Post by great_magnet »

I think we have this discussion before mate, there's absolutely always more involved than what's at face value and I am looking at it with a pretty broad brush approach.

It's a complex argument with a lot of grey area and very easy to misconstrue when discussed in a forum environment and without all the relevant information.

Without doubt it's not just a cynical marketing exercise and I don't doubt that the ITM team approach this with strong levels of integrity and equal levels of passion that many people on here exhibit.

It's just hard to get frustrated when those within your state or your preferred genre(s) are not rewarded for their talents, much like Blueprint was rewarded for his obvious talent in the Connecting Beats. Not saying it's wrong, just hard to swallow when practically the same 5 dj's win a national competition two years in a row.

Populist is as populist does I guess...
This ain't no party
This ain't no disco
shepherd

Post by shepherd »

Not saying it's wrong, just hard to swallow when practically the same 5 dj's win a national competition two years in a row.
i think that's the crux of it and i agree with you ... but this result says more about the industry nationally in general than anything else.
great_magnet
crazy diamond

Post by great_magnet »

shepherd wrote:
Not saying it's wrong, just hard to swallow when practically the same 5 dj's win a national competition two years in a row.
i think that's the crux of it and i agree with you ... but this result says more about the industry nationally in general than anything else.
Agreed, lack of progression and general staleness is what I'm taking away from this. That and most of us Melburnians forgot to vote!
This ain't no party
This ain't no disco
Penno

Post by Penno »

shepherd wrote:
Penno wrote:
not

Shepherd I'm not being a hater I just don't like it. I didn't vote because I didn't even know it was on. I don't treat the results too seriously because as GM put it it's a marketing campaign/populartiy contest, although it is really interesting to see where people placed.

And yeah sure it's a really good advertising campaign which prolly deserved the award it got. If I was into advertising I'd care but I'm not, I'm into music.
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

who the hell is DJ Jewelz??

she/ he is from Vic and polled fairly high and I've never heard of her/him
I think I am, Therefore I am. I think
sweetcheeks

Post by sweetcheeks »

breaksRbest wrote:who the hell is DJ Jewelz??

she/ he is from Vic and polled fairly high and I've never heard of her/him
again, hard house. billboards bunny.
Feigan

Post by Feigan »

she used to work @ that PHD record store near Coles I think
patch

Post by patch »

i got #3 in SA representing drum and bass.

we're in there..be good to see a bit further down the list too
http://www.facebook.com/patchsauce
BBA PODCAST 008 - THE OUTLOOK PROMO MIX

View this on Soundcloud

same o
peteybear™

Post by same o »

nice one patch it would be nice to see where u placed overall
mrj

Post by mrj »

:smt011
He's climbing in your windows, he's snatching your people up.
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

sAm0 wrote:a place like sydney where d'n'b is next to non existant i dont think it is possible..
D&B exists in Sydney. :smt018

there just aren't the amount of venues that there are in Melbourne.

I do find it very interesting though that the 'ravier' genres get so many votes in these contests.