Andy C ... A cheat?

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
Focus

Andy C ... A cheat?

Post by Focus »

I have heard from a few different people, that Andy C has all his plates at certain BPM and thats how he can mix so fast. I don't think this is true myself, what he does is not impossible but requires a lot of skill. I would like to here what other think of this, if they have heard anything at all.

So what do others think?

Is Andy C a cheat?
Ag3nT[]0raNg3
old boy

Post by Ag3nT[]0raNg3 »

true
one more medicated peacefull moment
www.dubstep.com.au
Dark Lord Piddle Bottom

Post by Dark Lord Piddle Bottom »

hes a genius
Everything is proceeding as I have Foreseen

http://www.myspace.com/dark_lord_piddle_bottom
Guyno

Post by Guyno »

Alot of producers make tunes at a preferred BPM. I dunno if i'd call it cheating.
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

Lets be honest, even if he didn't (which he might), after doing the same set for 50 dates on a tour you're gonna know how fast each tune is anyway.
Don't hate me for house
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

Guyno wrote:Alot of producers make tunes at a preferred BPM. I dunno if i'd call it cheating.
He means getting other producers tunes and cutting them to acetate at a different BPM to what they were orginally.
Don't hate me for house
Guyno

Post by Guyno »

jbs wrote:
Guyno wrote:Alot of producers make tunes at a preferred BPM. I dunno if i'd call it cheating.
He means getting other producers tunes and cutting them to acetate at a different BPM to what they were orginally.
I understand what plates are jbs. I probably wasn't too detailed in my response though. :wink: I just don't really see the issue with either producing your own tunes or if you can be fucked and can afford to recut others at a particular speed. I think that basic beatmatching would be like breathing for a dj like Andy C anyway so it would be a bit suprising that he'd need to imo.
Last edited by Guyno on Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stovequeen

Post by stovequeen »

:smt006 Guy

I like your avatar :D
factory worker

Post by factory worker »

It would be interesting to see him play some one else's crate of records though.
The best way to cure a broken heart is to give the pieces away
Guyno

Post by Guyno »

Hiya Stovie :smt039

Yeah, she cool. I'm thinking she is gonna be on the next Gimme poster in Gimme girl style. 8)
shepherd

Post by shepherd »

how can you call it cheating - it takes about 10 secs tops to cue a record to the right bpm.
stovequeen

Post by stovequeen »

Guyno wrote:Hiya Stovie :smt039

Yeah, she cool. I'm thinking she is gonna be on the next Gimme poster in Gimme girl style. 8)
:D :smt023
satori

Post by satori »

well for starters I have never heard this about Andy, but he wouldnt be alone... a lot of big name [mostly producers] do this. Andy however is an awesome dj, I am sure he can mix anything in, despite the BPM. The boy has skills.
One thing is for sure, Ray Keith doesn't... hahah, 3 train wrecks in a row last time I saw him, you'de have to be pretty bad to loose a mix that was set at the same BPM. hahahah
there is a particular Aust crew who must have taken a leaf out of Andys book. bwahahah.

Word just in, 2 real djs known as Loxy and Ink are coming to Australia ssssh, May next year! BOH! actually make that DOUBLE BOH!

:)
Good goss thread. hahah
HAUNTED
Fents

Post by Fents »

Yea look when he played here in melb last NYD and i was front and centre loosing my shit, someone whispered that in my ear too, and it shattered me. Too think andy c cheats no way couldnt be, cant be, hes da man etc...

Anyways i stood there and watched him for a bit - You would assume if all his dubs were cut at lets say 170 then he wouldnt need the pitch at all, just slap a plate on and cue it up. But i stood there and watched and he sure as hell was using the pitch - not much but he still was.

Hes been doing it long enuff that you would think its second nature to beatmatch. But seriously there is so much more to DJ'in than beatmatching. OBVISOULY u need to beatmatch first - but what about tune selection - and knowing when to drop a tune.

Is it possible for one man (Or GOD) to pull off that many double drops - Yes it is....Just check Keirs AUTOMATE cd that he was giving out a while ago.

If he does cheat he'll never admit to it - The only real way to find out is to get a proper VIDEO FOOTAGE of him playing somewhere - check DnB Arena they have loads of andy c video sets.

I still think hes a GOD among DJ's and nothing will change my mind. 8)
D-finna

Post by D-finna »

factory worker wrote:It would be interesting to see him play some one else's crate of records though.
cant see how it could make a difference anyway, anyone who can mix well should knows it takes only 5 - 10 seconds to get records in time to the point where you might need to work the platter a little.
Dark Lord Piddle Bottom wrote:hes a genius
:script:
Fents

Post by Fents »

shepherd wrote:how can you call it cheating - it takes about 10 secs tops to cue a record to the right bpm.
I think what ppl are reffering to is the fact that he can pull it off in 1 sec. Like he'll have a brand new smashing pendulum dub on which we all know are made pretty fast then somehow in a split second he lines up some old jungle tune, i dont know like valley of the shadows or somthing and they just blend right in - You try it at home and sometimes one tunes at +8 and the other wont even fit at -8 pitch..

There is no denying the man has skills tho.

what.a.fucking.legened.

All bout his tune selection anyways ;)
dust

Post by dust »

I saw him play at Fabric, some years back now and I was standing right on the stage in front of him, looking down at what he was doing and there is no way in hell that what he was doing could be classified as cheating.

The guys just has skills. Plain and simple.
Zero Hour

Post by Zero Hour »

Wot about levels? He's got alot of cuting between tunes & layering goin on wif a couple of tunes goin at once. We all know how messy it can sound even if it is perfectly in time when two tunes are goin at once but both tunes are pretty busy brake wise + with two arguing basslines.....and then cuing up another tune ontop of this which is obviously wots goin on. I think its all about knowing your tunes really well.
D-finna

Post by D-finna »

Fents wrote:
shepherd wrote:how can you call it cheating - it takes about 10 secs tops to cue a record to the right bpm.
I think what ppl are reffering to is the fact that he can pull it off in 1 sec. Like he'll have a brand new smashing pendulum dub on which we all know are made pretty fast then somehow in a split second he lines up some old jungle tune, i dont know like valley of the shadows or somthing and they just blend right in - You try it at home and sometimes one tunes at +8 and the other wont even fit at -8 pitch..

what.a.fucking.legened.

sounz like you need some 1210's m8 :D good fun for mixin old wit new

i reckon beatmatching on the pitch can be done is 1-3 secs no probz,

:!:
satori

Post by satori »

Fents wrote:

what.a.fucking.legened.

you know I really haven't thought about it, but you have a point here. maybe he does cut plates at the same bpm, so that he can do this well... hmmm, either way though, it makes for an awesome power set. I am not the biggest Andy fan, but lord o mighty that boy can drop a dope set. He knows how to work a crowd thats for sure...into a frenzy! That is a skill in itself.
HAUNTED
Fents

Post by Fents »

D-finna wrote:
Fents wrote:

what.a.fucking.legened.

sounz like you need some 1210's m8 :D good fun for mixin old wit new

i reckon beatmatching on the pitch can be done is 1-3 secs no probz,

:!:
Why would 1210's help my cause?
Focus

Post by Focus »

Cos they're black haha
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

Guyno wrote:
jbs wrote:
I understand what plates are jbs. I probably wasn't too detailed in my response though. :wink: I just don't really see the issue with either producing your own tunes or if you can be fucked and can afford to recut others at a particular speed. I think that basic beatmatching would be like breathing for a dj like Andy C anyway so it would be a bit suprising that he'd need to imo.
Heh, sorry.

I seem to remember Andy C looking really "busy" last time I saw him - If he cut all plates at the same speed then wouldn't the only correct to the pitch fader be the orginal one to correct any turntable drift?
Don't hate me for house
lynt

Post by lynt »

Focus wrote:Cos they're black haha
:lol:

The darkness!!
D-finna

Post by D-finna »

errr, sorry~ 1210 MK5 with the +16 pitch,
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

D-finna wrote:errr, sorry~ 1210 MK5 with the +16 pitch,
+/- 16 is a joke.

Tunes sound so bad all streched out or squashed up
Don't hate me for house
sweetcheeks

Post by sweetcheeks »

satori wrote: there is a particular Aust crew who must have taken a leaf out of Andys book. bwahahah.
so wrong right now :lol:
Ag3nT[]0raNg3
old boy

Post by Ag3nT[]0raNg3 »

Zero Hour wrote:Wot about levels? He's got alot of cuting between tunes & layering goin on wif a couple of tunes goin at once. We all know how messy it can sound even if it is perfectly in time when two tunes are goin at once but both tunes are pretty busy brake wise + with two arguing basslines.....and then cuing up another tune ontop of this which is obviously wots goin on. I think its all about knowing your tunes really well.
yeah. blew my mind at the espy when he does that shit with switching tunes back and forth, jsut the basslines, then back. highs, whatever. fucken nuts.

dunno about his selection tho!

i wanna hear him to a drumfunk set. :teef:
one more medicated peacefull moment
www.dubstep.com.au
Focus

Post by Focus »

Personally i don't know how people can say Andy C is a cheat, sometimes i'm on fire at home, double drops, teases, switching basslines etc and all around good mixes but thats not very often and i'm not even a good DJ imo and have been doing it for almost 3 years now when Andy C has been doing it for at least 3 times longer.
Fents

Post by Fents »

^^^ spot on.
D-finna

Post by D-finna »

jbs wrote:
+/- 16 is a joke.

i think its a gr8 feature, really depends how you utilise it. never used to be able to mix music is the key with new calibre stuff :D
lotta older tunes runs out of pitch at 165 on + 8 decks, this way you can boost them to 170 if ya want,
each to their own :D
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

D-finna wrote:
jbs wrote:
+/- 16 is a joke.

i think its a gr8 feature, really depends how you utilise it. never used to be able to mix music is the key with new calibre stuff :D
lotta older tunes runs out of pitch at 165 on + 8 decks, this way you can boost them to 170 if ya want,
each to their own :D
I know what you mean, but one of my personal hates is jungle plus too much.

Fucks with all the freqencies.

Didital turntables go some way to fixing this tho I beleive? Anyone?
Don't hate me for house
satori

Post by satori »

sweetcheeks wrote:so wrong right now :lol:
hahahahah, yes yes... hahahah.

-16 is good for Pink Noise. :)
HAUNTED
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

it doesn't matter. practise overcomes all. timing counts for more than beat/pitch matching anyway.
DRS wrote:It’s uplifting while we drift through time,
‘cause we keep pushing the vibe.
satori

Post by satori »

Hey System, was that you playing at Inhale last week?
HAUNTED
RMHC

Post by RMHC »

cant agree more, dont know if its true but que in points, track selection and the actual mix are way more important than beat mixing, mearly a means to and end
Fents

Post by Fents »

Valley of the shadows was just an example i tease that into new tunes all the time i just couldnt think of somthing really slow...
valuetime

Post by valuetime »

if true, it prolly wouldn't bring andy c down from god status for me, for reasons detailed above.

in my limited experience, it's easy to remember the speeds of most of your records. if you spin them enough, it just becomes part of putting the record on the deck. any matrix tune i put on gets shifted to +6, high contrast to +4, etc. i don't even think about it anymore.
shepherd

Post by shepherd »

system wrote:it doesn't matter. practise overcomes all. timing counts for more than beat/pitch matching anyway.
:word:
Hardy

Post by Hardy »

I couldn't be arsed reading all this, but I can tell you that it's bullshit.
quick

Post by quick »

Hardy wrote:I couldn't be arsed reading all this, but I can tell you that it's bullshit.
yep, Tom and Andy go way back... Tom actually taught him how to mix...

I always thought Andy C was a shit dj :teef:
I kissed a squirrel and I liked it... taste of her acorn chapstick
lynt

Post by lynt »

quick wrote:
Hardy wrote:I couldn't be arsed reading all this, but I can tell you that it's bullshit.
yep, Tom and Andy go way back... Tom actually taught him how to mix...
I believe Klaus "Heavyweight" Hill had something to do with that .....
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

satori wrote:Hey System, was that you playing at Inhale last week?
yep. :)
DRS wrote:It’s uplifting while we drift through time,
‘cause we keep pushing the vibe.
PahMaLa

Post by PahMaLa »

Andy C is a fucken ledgen, nuff said!
Rumours only start because there are some that can't handle not being so fucken great as he is! So rumours are made up to try and damage a person's rep, it's just a sad fact/trait to being human.
quick

Post by quick »

D wrote:Andy C is a fucken ledgen, nuff said!
Rumours only start because there are some that can't handle not being so fucken great as he is! So rumours are made up to try and damage a person's rep, it's just a sad fact/trait to being human.
Well said, rumours are made up about me all the time.... but it don't phaze me...
I kissed a squirrel and I liked it... taste of her acorn chapstick
menace

Post by menace »

this thread !!! should be closed ... come on guys it's "ANDY C" .... :notworthy: :notworthy:
HE is justed a freak !!
menace

Post by menace »

quick wrote:
D wrote:Andy C is a fucken ledgen, nuff said!
Well said, rumours are made up about me all the time.... but it don't phaze me...
:script:
same o
peteybear™

Post by same o »

he does... i have heard from reputable sources... i have heard that he gets all his dubs pressed around the same speed.. that said he is still a fucken bad man.. he tears it apart.. and is still the number 1 dj..
Terry Tate
Location: come in! this is lonely soldier! my location is....bookshop!

Post by Terry Tate »

in the long run what does it matter?
hes still a badass dj.
that new years set was killer.
the only set my gf (who likes dnb but isnt really a fan) has seen that she has absolutely loved. and uses as the benchmark for all the djs ive taken her out to see since.
New Hampshire's alright if you like fighting.
yenks

Post by yenks »

sAme'0 wrote:he does... i have heard from reputable sources... i have heard that he gets all his dubs pressed around the same speed..
yeah i heard the same thing ! :shock: