DJ Shadow in june!

This is the forum for all things Melbourne beats. Post your gigs and other Melbourne music related information here. Keep it about the music and music only, please keep on topic.
Neapolitan

DJ Shadow in june!

Post by Neapolitan »

He's coming out for We love sounds in Sydney!
DJ Shadow, Kool Kieth LIVE and Daddy G playing on 6th and 7th June in MELBOURNE!!

All things house on the @ metro on the 9th.... 8 of the headliners or some shit..
www.loadedentertainment.com.au will release it all next week!

this is the lineup for we love sounds in sydney.
DJ Shadow
Tiga
James Zabiela & Nic Fanciulli (back2back)
Ben Watt
Daddy G
The Infadels (live)
Kool Keith (live)
Alan Braxe & Kris Menace
D Ramirez
Hernan Cattaneo
Sharam Jey
Audiofly
Spirit Catcher (live)
Headman
Surkin
Spencer Parker
Riton
Zoo Brazil
Paul Mac (live)
Van She (live)
Midnight Juggernauts (live)
TZU (live)
Deepchild (live)
Infusion (live)
Poxymusic (live)
Dances With Voices (live)
The Heat (live)
Bang Gang DJs
Riot In Belgium
Kid Kenobi & MC Shureshock
Goodwill
Ajax
K.I.M.
Ben Morris
James Taylor
Robbie Lowe
Minimal Fuss DJs
Noodles & Noel Boogie

Plus more TBA
have a twinkie, snapperhead
J Gal

Post by J Gal »

ahh so the rumors are true! Wasn't that long ago he was here... Bring the shadow i say
These are the days of our lolz
elysium

Post by elysium »

nice
I'm in a loop, I am the loop...
PahMaLa

Post by PahMaLa »

Nice, now I know what I'm going to be doing for my bday celebrations!
Lil MiSbreaks

Post by Lil MiSbreaks »

OOOOOO!!!!!! :smt049
Blaxter

Post by Blaxter »

Just a Shadow of the former producer/ DJ that he use to be.
mecka

Post by mecka »

who the fuck is dj shadow?

:P
HA! expected a teef?
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

he's the dj icey of hyphy.
myspace / too much! / photos (flickr) / photos (tumblr)
aroes wrote:promising, but lost me at offensive mid range snarl
lynt

Post by lynt »

that's awesome.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

black star wrote:Just a Shadow of the former producer/ DJ that he use to be.

:scr1pt:

he lost me a bit last time he was here.

will go, venue depending....
LuKo

Post by LuKo »

last show he played here was pretty good, altho he sorta dissapointed me as well ^^

I was expecting a much more party rocking atmosphere, lots of tuntablism

he was rarther boring to be honest, and i dint find his latest material all that inspiring - altho at leats is was more uptempo that listening to his older material
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

it was 40% of the show he put on at the forum a couple years ago (shit it might be more than a copule!)

mos def had my heart last time, not shadow.

:wink:
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

That Syndey lineup is insane
Don't hate me for house
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

:smt041

:smt049
I think I am, Therefore I am. I think
drew

Post by drew »

as long has he doesnt play his crunk....
LuKo

Post by LuKo »

ghetto kitty wrote:it was 40% of the show he put on at the forum a couple years ago (shit it might be more than a copule!)

mos def had my heart last time, not shadow.

:wink:
i mos def have a soft spot for mos def :lol:

BUT his tunes last time, altho lyrically amazing were all out of time and that dubsteppy bullsh*t, like not even the good kind...the kkind where everyone is trying to dance in a hiphop rythm, but instead just fall over themselves on the dancefloor deciphering what time signiature they should be stepping too! :lol:
scattermish

Post by scattermish »

danm that festival looks unreal, i might consider a trip up to sydney
Kimplicit

Post by Kimplicit »

Caught Shadow at Sonar 2006 in Barcelona - was one hour of old-skool beats followed by one hour of the "nu-skool Hyphey sound" as his 3 MC's kept reminding the crowd every 4 bars... some loved it - I am not some.
nic

Post by nic »

Ill definately go if he promises not to play any old bullshit and only does hyphy bay area stuff, as if no one likes him and e40 together or kean the sneak? carn' nigga.

he cant stay the same stale old sample driven man for ever. give him some room to make sum new stuff up.

he is probably working with JT and Nelly night now and collaborating on phagrells crap new icecream van signage with prince charles in a gothic revival catholic themed trailer park with missy higgins presiding over stale acoustics whilst trying to appear natural after swallowing 20 xanax given to her by the living end on the run after merking xavier rudd for being smelly.

err yes. im sure there are a whole new group of people around who liek his new stuff anyway and he told me to tell youse that he doesnt care what you think and he would prefer if you didnt come anyway.
abstar

Post by abstar »

OMG missed out last time, gotta go to this one! 8)
dengelman

Post by dengelman »

nic wrote:Ill definately go if he promises not to play any old bullshit and only does hyphy bay area stuff, as if no one likes him and e40 together or kean the sneak? carn' nigga.

he cant stay the same stale old sample driven man for ever. give him some room to make sum new stuff up.

he is probably working with JT and Nelly night now and collaborating on phagrells crap new icecream van signage with prince charles in a gothic revival catholic themed trailer park with missy higgins presiding over stale acoustics whilst trying to appear natural after swallowing 20 xanax given to her by the living end on the run after merking xavier rudd for being smelly.

err yes. im sure there are a whole new group of people around who liek his new stuff anyway and he told me to tell youse that he doesnt care what you think and he would prefer if you didnt come anyway.
lol-didili-ol :lol:
shepherd

Post by shepherd »

he's not on the lineup for sounds in melbourne so assume he's playing a solo gig.
Blaxter

Post by Blaxter »

ghetto kitty wrote:
black star wrote:Just a Shadow of the former producer/ DJ that he use to be.

:scr1pt:

he lost me a bit last time he was here.

will go, venue depending....
There were a lot of comments on here when I was staunchly opposed to going to the Palace to see him on his second visit to melbourne. Good opn him for making a living out of music though, but not anymore from my wallet.
SoulWhiteMan

Post by SoulWhiteMan »

i love shadow for his ability to make both "party" kind of beats, as well as cinematic/atmospheric stuff.

I think his latest album was shit in parts because he was deliberately trying to be 'different' when he should stick with what he knew best: abstract, atmospheric hip-hop.
dengelman

Post by dengelman »

breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

:smt041

thanx for the heads up, gonna grab a couple from DMC tonight :smt023
marcus

Post by marcus »

Fucking fuck. I have an exam the next day.

:(
dengelman

Post by dengelman »

BrB/Lynt: let us know if they are at DMC.

Moshtix only available to pick up on the door, and not certain I'm gonna be in the country, so wanting some of that paper-transferable ticket action.
stovequeen

Post by stovequeen »

Forum.. nice!
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

DMC only installed their Moshtix system yesterday and it wasn't fully functional when I went there last night.

There are no 'paper-transferable' tickets available @ DMC, only Moshtix

I'll be heading down there at 10 to see if it's been worked out yet
dengelman

Post by dengelman »

thanks for the update :wink:
witty_pseudonym

Post by witty_pseudonym »

at the forum? oh man.

i'll be in london....lol...no complaints here.
well maybe just one.
Stray

Post by Stray »

Last time was a bit of a let down.. I don't think I'm going to fork out $80 for this.
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

mecka wrote: :P
HA! expected a teef?
:lol:

Was so not impressed by his last outing. I was so close to falling alseep that I was too scared to smoke the joints I brought with me in case I did.

Will not be forking over the big $$$'s to see him again anytime soon.
By design

Post by By design »

missed the last one heard mixed reports, down for it
witty_pseudonym

it's a shame that after one performance that didn't live up to some peoples' expectations, that he's immediately scratched.

would have thought there'd have been a bit of room for recovery. you're a brutal lot. :P
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

For $80 I'm definately gonna be brutal.

Seen him once, have no inclination to do it again - especially with the way his sounds are heading.
witty_pseudonym

fair play....and i'd find it hard to part with $80 after last time too. but still, in my eyes, he's the man...and i will have his babies. and in order to action that, i'd be happy to the money. :P
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

witty_pseudonym wrote:it's a shame that after one performance that didn't live up to some peoples' expectations, that he's immediately scratched.

would have thought there'd have been a bit of room for recovery. you're a brutal lot. :P

WORD.

Shadow deserves more than that, he's a GOD amongst DJ's/producers.

ah well , their loss.
shepherd

Post by shepherd »

$80 seems excessive

last show was a total let down and it seems over the years he's become even more self-important than he was previously (no mean feat) so will let this one slide.
mrj

Post by mrj »

I agree. I thought about getting tickets for this. $80 convinced me otherwise.

I think the critiscisms are little to do with his skill level/abliity to peform, and everything to do with the direction his music is heading in. Therefore I think not going to this show based on last show is at least partially valid, unless he announces he's gonna do a whole lot of old stuff.
He's climbing in your windows, he's snatching your people up.
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

last tour was to showcase his last album, which most of you hated. This tour is billed as 'An Intimate Night with DJ Shadow'

It's at The Forum and Daddy G from Massive Attack is also playing

I highly doubt he'll come back and do a repeat performance of his gig at The Palace

I reckon it's gonna be wicked
witty_pseudonym

and Daddy G?

faaaark. that'll be mad. :shock:

:jealous:
Blaxter

Post by Blaxter »

breaksRbest wrote:last tour was to showcase his last album, which most of you hated. This tour is billed as 'An Intimate Night with DJ Shadow'

It's at The Forum and Daddy G from Massive Attack is also playing

I highly doubt he'll come back and do a repeat performance of his gig at The Palace

I reckon it's gonna be wicked
fair call about Josh not repeating the Palace gig. u reckon he'll do somethign a bit more like the early foum gigs?
I saw Daddy G a few years back and DJ Numark cleaned up the dance floor with him.
respect where its due, Shadow has made some amazing music. would love to have seen him do live vocals on that cut off the private press
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

I could be wrong BRB, and I know you are a die-hard (with a vengeance) fan of Shadow, but I find it unlikely that he won't be promoting his newer stuff...

I've never been an overly massive fan, just an avid fan.

I went to the last show based on a lot of people's hype (yourself included) and it wasn't my cuppa tea.

I can cross him off my things-to-see list and be happy with that.

Hope you have a good night!
nic

Post by nic »

are we gonna talk at length again about how no one likes his hyphy crunk new style? :teef:

fuck teh hatorz!

Ill def go, its only a few beers dollars worth more than any other inane international.
SoulWhiteMan

Post by SoulWhiteMan »

breaksRbest wrote:
witty_pseudonym wrote:it's a shame that after one performance that didn't live up to some peoples' expectations, that he's immediately scratched.

WORD.

ah well , their loss.
i think this argument is going to go around....and around....and around in circles.

It all boils down to the fact that, whether old or not, DJ Shadow has produced some music out there that touches your emotions.

It is similar to people who "don't like psy" but love Sphongle and Ott (myself being one of these people.)

There is a place for party music

and there is a place for meticulously placed beats, melodies, and sequencing of tracks.

Sphongle, OTT and Shadow deserve to be lumped in the same category of pushing electronic music forward, beyond the realm of just entertainment, to the point that they craft a unique listening and emotional experience.

Listen to smoked glass and chrome by OTT, straight, or otherwise, and tell me it doesn't stir your soul..... then listen to the usual assortment of electronic music that has a "life" of about three months, and you'll see where I'm getting at.

Some electronic music stands the test of time; a fair chunk of it is disposable::: respect must be paid to artists and their tracks for their emotional capacity and uniqueness to stand the test of time.....

PS:
it is for this very reason that Hybrids set at BA was a load of fucking shite compared to what they are CAPABLE OF! (ie: sunset performance at Parklife in Sydney.)
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

nic wrote: Ill def go, its only a few beers dollars worth more than any other inane international.
Try double the price with an additional $20 on top.... and booking fee.
shepherd

Post by shepherd »

SoulWhiteMan wrote:
breaksRbest wrote:

WORD.

ah well , their loss.
i think this argument is going to go around....and around....and around in circles.

It all boils down to the fact that, whether old or not, DJ Shadow has produced some music out there that touches your emotions.

It is similar to people who "don't like psy" but love Sphongle and Ott (myself being one of these people.)

There is a place for party music

and there is a place for meticulously placed beats, melodies, and sequencing of tracks.

Sphongle, OTT and Shadow deserve to be lumped in the same category of pushing electronic music forward, beyond the realm of just entertainment, to the point that they craft a unique listening and emotional experience.

Listen to smoked glass and chrome by OTT, straight, or otherwise, and tell me it doesn't stir your soul..... then listen to the usual assortment of electronic music that has a "life" of about three months, and you'll see where I'm getting at.

Some electronic music stands the test of time; a fair chunk of it is disposable::: respect must be paid to artists and their tracks for their emotional capacity and uniqueness to stand the test of time.....

PS:
it is for this very reason that Hybrids set at BA was a load of fucking shite compared to what they are CAPABLE OF! (ie: sunset performance at Parklife in Sydney.)
i am impressed and bewildered in how you managed to lump dj shadow in with a bunch of psy trance dudes - the master of the segue!
SoulWhiteMan

Post by SoulWhiteMan »

read what i am saying....

In my mind shadows tracks have the same element of "care" (for lack of a better word) as do the likes of masters such as Simon Posford / OTT and Hybrid.

The tracks these guys have released stands the test of time for good production, effect it has on the audience.

Also, the above artists go above and beyond their genre, they're a bit avant garde...which is why i like shadow so much, he's not some try hard sticking to tried and tested bullshit; he's doing his own thing.

There's fuckloads of binary, mechanical, shit psy, just as there is a fuckload of binary "dub" and "chill" - but Sphongle and OTT stand out, head and shoulders above the rest.

Same with Hybrids production : the pads, detail, arrangement, they don't just make "phat as" tracks that last two months....

Thats what I'm trying to say, not being "normal" and going above and beyond your genres "limits" and creating something unique that touches you emotionally......

Oh, and one last thing,
don't tell me Shadow hasn't hit the liquid and shrooms in his early years!