Connecting Internet to TV

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
Cubist

Connecting Internet to TV

Post by Cubist »

Has anyone done this? Basically, it's my old mans birthday, he loves watching utube, but crouches infront of the computer. I was thinking of somehow connecting his computer to his TV. I read u can do it with an S Video lead...Has anyone done this? Would resolution be too shitty? Any suggestions? Thoughts?

Cheerzes
spiral

Post by spiral »

used to plug laptop in telly with s video, resolution is a bit tiny for reading web.. appletv does youtube vids
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

as a rule of thumb: the resolution on the tv screen will be as good as the output of the graphics card on the computer connected to it.
DRS wrote:It’s uplifting while we drift through time,
‘cause we keep pushing the vibe.
spiral

Post by spiral »

system wrote:as a rule of thumb: the resolution on the tv screen will be as good as the output of the graphics card on the computer connected to it.
if he has a standard def CRT telly then the best res it will support is 800x 600 NTSC, otherwise its 768 x 576 with PAL, which is pretty tiny for reading web and stuff, if he has widescreen telly you can up this to 1024 x576 PAL for widescreen, cant remember NTSC for that

if he has lcd or plasma telly then it should support better resolutions depending on its spec
nic

Post by nic »

i thought system would know this
cha_chaos

Post by cha_chaos »

get a wii, then he has a consol as well! it uses Opera and is quite handy

The rubber plant was surprised. If the rubber plant could have spoken, it wouldn't have said anything. That's how surprised the rubber plant was.
Mellogs

Post by Mellogs »

Wii or STFU
...and basically that's the situation
universal sea

Post by universal sea »

project the computer onto the living room wall or screen where he can sit on the couch with his computer and watch comfortably
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

universal sea wrote:project the computer onto the living room wall or screen where he can sit on the couch with his computer and watch comfortably
Expensive solution homeboy
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Re: Connecting Internet to TV

Post by Lizkins »

Cubist wrote:Has anyone done this? Basically, it's my old mans birthday, he loves watching utube, but crouches infront of the computer. I was thinking of somehow connecting his computer to his TV. I read u can do it with an S Video lead...Has anyone done this? Would resolution be too shitty? Any suggestions? Thoughts?

Cheerzes

yeah my boy has done it, sits on the couch with the keyboard and plays away on 53inch screen :roll: :lol:

will find out how he did it and report back.
live your life like every week is shark week
click here fo fotos
huge
old boy

Post by huge »

turn the middle side topwise
http://www.thelittlemule.com - tredleys and caffeine
http://www.dubstep.com.au - aussie dubstep forums
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

here ya go (hope this makes sense) -

relies on Graphics card > you a need TV out on video/graphics card

join the tv to computer with coax cable

set up through Graphics car > set to dual monitors and then do some other stuff which he can't remember off the top of his head.
click here fo fotos
huge
old boy

Post by huge »

Lizkins wrote:join the tv to computer with coax cable
lol not quite.

eden u have a couple of options. an s-video port for the best results (bar HDMI output or VGA in on your TV, which is possible if you have a new LCD/Plasma telly) or a normal RCA plug. which most tv's come with, at least an RCA plug.

S-Video Female Jack & RCA Composite Video Female Jack Yellow

you will find that not that many on board video cards have s-video on the motherboard (again totally can happen)

so get an s-video cable if you have s-video or just a normal yellow RCA lead if you dont.
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

huge wrote:
Lizkins wrote:join the tv to computer with coax cable
lol not quite.

eden u have a couple of options. an s-video port for the best results (bar HDMI output or VGA in on your TV, which is possible if you have a new LCD/Plasma telly) or a normal RCA plug. which most tv's come with, at least an RCA plug.

S-Video Female Jack & RCA Composite Video Female Jack Yellow

you will find that not that many on board video cards have s-video on the motherboard (again totally can happen)

so get an s-video cable if you have s-video or just a normal yellow RCA lead if you dont.

claps hands for Hugh, wish i could be you
click here fo fotos
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

spiral wrote:
system wrote:as a rule of thumb: the resolution on the tv screen will be as good as the output of the graphics card on the computer connected to it.
if he has a standard def CRT telly then the best res it will support is 800x 600 NTSC, otherwise its 768 x 576 with PAL, which is pretty tiny for reading web and stuff, if he has widescreen telly you can up this to 1024 x576 PAL for widescreen, cant remember NTSC for that

if he has lcd or plasma telly then it should support better resolutions depending on its spec
standard definition televisions can have support for higher resolution - Hz as well as pixel count, which was kind of my point.
cha_chaos wrote:get a wii, then he has a consol as well! it uses Opera and is quite handy
opera isn't free though.
DRS wrote:It’s uplifting while we drift through time,
‘cause we keep pushing the vibe.
Cubist

Post by Cubist »

Yo. Thanks for the replies peeps. Appretiated. I'm pretty sure his TV is plasma. He just got a new one. What are the options for plasma? And can anyone recommend a graphics card. I think I'll need to get a new one for his comp.

Ta.
Cubist

Post by Cubist »

OK. I just been chatting to the brains trust. VGA lead from computer to TV. Too easy. Obviously, I aint too computer savvy. Thanks again people.
Lephrenic

Post by Lephrenic »

Yup. I put my laptop through my housemate's new LCD TV with a VGA lead. Fun times were had.
system wrote:standard definition televisions can have support for higher resolution
Let me show you. :teef:
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

my laptop has S Video Out and my TV has S Video in, it's fine for watching movies etc but you can't really read the text on the screen if you're looking at the web

my TV's not a plasma or lcd tho'
I think I am, Therefore I am. I think
Stray

Post by Stray »

Kind of relevant..

Google plans to use the old analogue tv signal in the states once everything is switched to digital.
Something that can be replicated here after 2013.
Much much faster than current broadband.