New licence for DJs to format shift music

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
Stray

New licence for DJs to format shift music

Post by Stray »

DJs are the latest targets in the war against illegal copying of published music.

ARIA the Australian Recording Industry Association has set up a new licence to let DJs format shift their music to use at gigs.

Yep, they need to pay a licence fee to copy music they already own legally to their iPods, laptops, or compilation CDs.

Criminal penalties for DJs involved in music piracy are up to sixty thousand dollars and 5 years imprisonment. There are also on-the-spot fines of over one thousand dollars.

For more info ::

www.aria.com.au

Media Release from MIPI

This is so many levels of wrong! :shock:
enigneyratorelknaw

Post by enigneyratorelknaw »

Fu#kin L.O.L!!!
Last edited by enigneyratorelknaw on Wed May 07, 2008 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blaxter

Post by Blaxter »

That's fucked. The way things are gong with 2AM lockouts and fining Dj's for copying their own music onto different formats, I'm definitelt gonna stya at home and play poll while my mates spin tunes.

Post by 10.15 »

Triple J's 'Hack' program did a thingy on this: http://www.abc.net.au/triplej/hack/notes/s2230819.htm
Sat 1st May: TREVOR LOVEYS (UK)
Sun 30th May: OXIA (8BIT RECS - FRANCE)
http://the-late-show.blogspot.com/
a1studmuffin

Post by a1studmuffin »

I thought this was an april fool's joke at first, it was announced right around that time.

What a load of fucking bullshit. $800 is probably more than I'd earn in a year from DJing - there's no way in hell I'd pay for this. I'm already paying for my tracks off Beatport, DJDownload etc. Why should I fork out $800 for this as well? Is this meant to be targetting DJs that play pirated music? If so, they're punishing all the legitimate DJs too. And explain to me how playing MP3s off a laptop, which you downloaded directly from Beatport/DJDownload, would constitute a format change? Hell, how does a data CD full of MP3s being played on CDJs constitute a format change? I don't think it would hold up in court.

DJ Format's opinion...
http://www.abc.net.au/triplej/hack/note ... 576906.mp2

Anyone actually know of anybody that has this license?

Anyone ever heard of the APRA police making surprise appearances at nightclubs?
Direkt

Re: New licence for DJs to format shift music

Post by Direkt »

Stray wrote:DJs are the latest targets in the war against illegal copying of published music.
How is it illegal copying?

Or do they mean NOW it's illegal copying?

Doesn't Beatport (or provider) or the artists publishing company have anything to do with this (ownership of media)?

Sounds ridiculous, as the whole point of LEGAL digital downloads from sites such as Beatport is that you now OWN the media.

Are they only targetting DJ's? Or everyone who downloads?

APRA can get fucked if this is for real. I'm all up for supporting artists, I pay for my stuff legally - but this is just crazy talk.
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

You pay to "buy" the track.

Clubs pay APRA (or whoever) to play the music.

APRA just raised their fees.

Now there's an additional cost? Suck my balls.
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

you local DJ's get paid way too much anyway

:teef:
I think I am, Therefore I am. I think
*catalyst

Post by *catalyst »

And if the music isn't from an Australian label??

I noticed this ages ago, just you fucking try and enforce bullshit rules on me playing music somewhere.

I FUCKING DARE YOU ARIA. TAKE YOUR SHIT MUSIC AWARDS AND GO BACK INTO THE CAVE YOU OBVIOUSLY DWELL IN.

/vent

-Lachie
Andrez

Post by Andrez »

Oh crap.

Anyone out there who wants to use my own muzak or the stuff we put out on our label, IF? Records, can do so while ignoring this legislation!

You have our complete permission - go for it.

We're off-shore anyway!!

:wink:
almax

Post by almax »

could this possibly put an end to part-time DJs who cant afford the $800 licence, i wonder if clubs will make you have a licence to use their gear in the future.
lynt

Post by lynt »

breaksRbest wrote:you local DJ's get paid way too much anyway

My 3rd job helps.
Snowie

Post by Snowie »

What a typical bullshit money grabbing stunt from Apra, we pay for the record/cd/wav file, the question should be why isn't that money making it back to the artist, or does Apra exec's need a new tennis court added to the mansions ?

As many working dj's spend atleast a couple of hundred dollars nearly every week when going record shopping, we now need to find an extra $800 for a licence to play what we already bought...WTF ????

BITE MY HAIRY LEFT NUT BIARCHES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Easy @ Word - 23rd May Opening Night, every saturday
Everything You Want - Fridays @ Lounge Downstairs
OldSkool Hip Hop and Funk - Saturdays @ Red Violin
www.myspace.com/djsnowie

obliveus

Post by obliveus »

I only play op shop records of artists who died a looong time ago. Does this still count?

Lephrenic

Post by Lephrenic »

I used to think highly of APRA some years ago. But with the rise of digital media, they have consistently refused to come to the party. It's not helping anyone.
Hardy

Post by Hardy »

Pfft. 'Sif this is gonna happen. I don't even see how it's legal.
CoB

Post by CoB »

well thats fucked!
o/ . . . \o . . . -o . o- . \o/ \o/
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

Funnily enough this doesn't give you permission to format shift anything but music from labels on the "list". It also doesn't give you permission to mix with the tunes.

You can also negotiate directly with labels.
Don't hate me for house
deviant

Post by deviant »

the club PPCA fee thing comes in soon too

nice
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

This is actually really clever on ARIA's part.

My interpretation of what they are saying is:
So, you've downloaded this music you intend to DJ with. Legally you can't shift formats. How about you give us some money and we'll give you a license which allows you to do this inside these (very limited) bounds.

Wouldn't that be good?

Oh we will also be going after people without the license. You might go to jail. We realise people with the license will almost certainly be in violation of the law as well because our list of labels is really only majors, but [nudge nudge wink wink] look at all the ones that are.
Don't hate me for house
Stray

Post by Stray »

So if you download say beatport tunes directly your laptop, no format shifting is occurring. Do you still need a license?
universal sea

Post by universal sea »

fuck em, who cares? we do our own thing anyway.
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

So, I see you are illegally format shifting music you've bought from Beatport?

Would you like some help with filling out this application for a license to ARIA?
Don't hate me for house
Blaxter

Post by Blaxter »

GOLD!
deviant

Post by deviant »

BWAHAHA

lol
same o
peteybear™

Post by same o »

lynt wrote:
breaksRbest wrote:you local DJ's get paid way too much anyway

My 3rd job helps.
u retired remember.. :teef:

haha all i can say is vinyl ftw
CoB

Post by CoB »

yeah, thats what im thinkin too same'o!
Joe Seven

Post by Joe Seven »

exactly - just buy vinyl and you'll be ok...worked for everyone a few short years ago - why not now?

I think its a good thing - sure, some people buy digital downloads legally but most dont - and even the ones that do will almost always have a few illegal mp3s in their harddrive / cd wallet.
Blaxter

Post by Blaxter »

Play vinyl, or your music you have produced yourself.
That will kill the Trance scene nicely.
CoB

Post by CoB »

jbs wrote:
So, I see you are illegally format shifting music you've bought from Beatport?

Would you like some help with filling out this application for a license to ARIA?
haha, nice!
deviant

Post by deviant »

Joe Seven wrote:exactly - just buy vinyl and you'll be ok...worked for everyone a few short years ago - why not now?
of course you'd say that Mr I-work-in-a-record-shop :P
Joe Seven wrote:I think its a good thing - sure, some people buy digital downloads legally but most dont - and even the ones that do will almost always have a few illegal mp3s in their harddrive / cd wallet.
isnt't that like having a few white labels?
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

How can you think it's a good thing Joe?

Other than the fact that it will discourage people from buying legit digital downloads and perhaps entice them to buy more vinyl?

Even if you ripped all your shit illegally, paying the license doesn't mean your illegally obtained material is all of a sudden legal...

I can't see how it's going to persuade people to buy legal downloads over ripping illegal downloads.

Most legal downloaders will just say "fuck APRA, I'm going to do my own thing anyway".

If it was just about curtailing illegal downloaders - why don't APRA just ask for receipts to be kept from legal purchases, or something similar?

It's nothing short of another money grabbing exercise.
a1studmuffin

Post by a1studmuffin »

I think the result of this will be that a very small percentage of successful Australian DJs who play more commercial stuff and are concerned they might be checked up on by APRA will buy the license.

Everyone else will ignore APRA's bullshit, and if APRA actually come knocking on smaller DJ's doors and say you need a license, the DJ can just go and talk to the individual labels (who I'm sure will give permission when explained the situation and based on the utter stupidity of the license.)

How are they even going to know what tracks you played anyway, unless the club kept a record? It sounds like they don't want to throw out fines straight away - they're willing to give DJs the chance to "make it right" and get the license or contact the individual labels.

So in all honesty I don't think this is going to be a very big deal.
deviant

Post by deviant »

I'm not contacting any labels, nor am I paying the fee.....

Imagine having to contact every record label of every tune you play.... fuck that for a joke.
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Word.

APRA can commence the ball suckling IMO.
deviant

Post by deviant »

afaik ball suck tbh
almax

Post by almax »

Blaxter wrote:Play vinyl, or your music you have produced yourself.
WTF and who the fuck? you have over 4,000 posts and ive never noticed you here! lol
Did you just change your avatar or sumting?
Last edited by almax on Thu May 08, 2008 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

Joe Seven wrote:exactly - just buy vinyl and you'll be ok...worked for everyone a few short years ago - why not now?

I think its a good thing - sure, some people buy digital downloads legally but most dont - and even the ones that do will almost always have a few illegal mp3s in their harddrive / cd wallet.
This is doing absolutely nothing to target piracy.

It is targeting people who copy copyrighted media for professional use (ie: any digital DJ really) which is illegal under Australian law (there is an exemption for personal use to make a backup or put on an ipod etc..)
Don't hate me for house
same o
peteybear™

Post by same o »

man knows..

or u could also use serato, fuck the system!! :lol:
Stray

Post by Stray »

almax wrote:
WTF and who the fuck? you have over 4,000 posts and ive never noticed you here! lol
lol

Blaxter = Black Star
almax

Post by almax »

Stray wrote:
almax wrote:
lol

Blaxter = Black Star
ah seen
same signature, such a tricky lil fella that black star/factory worker/blaxter
Joe Seven

Post by Joe Seven »

I bet everyone who doesnt like this idea has illegal mp3's on their computer or on their cd's. downloading shit of soulseek is nothing like getting a tp or promo set to you from a label, artist or distro.

What motivated you all to stop playing vinyl in the first place when the digital medium came in? yep thats right, cash money - it was cheaper and soulseek etc is even cheaper still, so to get all up in arms about "fuck apra" and "its just a money grabbing excercise" is a bit rich when the switch from vinyl to mp3 is in itself a "money grabbing" excercise by your good selves.

And yeah i feel strongly about it because i work in a record store - but at the same time, i dont make a commision from any records i sell and i dont own the shop so i have no financial interest in how much vinyl goes out the door. It was the best thing since sliced bread for all of you before mp3's /cdj's came in - now its not and the only reason for that is more money in your pockets at the end of the week.

Thats all good and fine - but dont get so upset when labels, artists and their agents or representatives start asking for some money back too.
Blaxter

Post by Blaxter »

almax wrote:
Stray wrote:
almax wrote: WTF and who the fuck? you have over 4,000 posts and ive never noticed you here! lol
lol

Blaxter = Black Star
ah seen
same signature, such a tricky lil fella that black star/factory worker/blaxter
Tricky or Nearly God?

BTW I agree with J7 on this issue.
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

Joe Seven wrote:I bet everyone who doesnt like this idea has illegal mp3's on their computer or on their cd's. downloading shit of soulseek is nothing like getting a tp or promo set to you from a label, artist or distro.

What motivated you all to stop playing vinyl in the first place when the digital medium came in? yep thats right, cash money - it was cheaper and soulseek etc is even cheaper still, so to get all up in arms about "fuck apra" and "its just a money grabbing excercise" is a bit rich when the switch from vinyl to mp3 is in itself a "money grabbing" excercise by your good selves.

And yeah i feel strongly about it because i work in a record store - but at the same time, i dont make a commision from any records i sell and i dont own the shop so i have no financial interest in how much vinyl goes out the door. It was the best thing since sliced bread for all of you before mp3's /cdj's came in - now its not and the only reason for that is more money in your pockets at the end of the week.

Thats all good and fine - but dont get so upset when labels, artists and their agents or representatives start asking for some money back too.

It's a blatant money grabbing exercise which is being presented as a way of stopping piracy when it does nothing at all to do this.

A law change to allow format shifting for DJ use in the same way that is allowed for personal use would be much more appropriate.
Don't hate me for house
deviant

Post by deviant »

charge more for mp3s, build the cost in as a sales tax...

I aint lining major label's pockets with my $800 per year.

for me mp3s are about access to more tunes, conveniece and yeah, money.... but there are other factors.... I

would be more than happy to pay more per tune than some bullshit license to use what I already purchased for the intent it was meant.

do beatport and the others sell mp3s so that people can only listen to them off their PC at home??? I don't reckon.
Lephrenic

Post by Lephrenic »

I've been buying mp3's from bleep for the last two years. I've also digitised my entire CD collection. I use Traktor because I like the possibilities that the software allows. I can never go back to CDJs now and as for vinyl, I never really cared that much about it in the first place. I don't play vinyl, I play music.

And script to everything Deviant said.
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Joe Seven wrote:I bet everyone who doesnt like this idea has illegal mp3's on their computer or on their cd's. downloading shit of soulseek is nothing like getting a tp or promo set to you from a label, artist or distro.

Whoa there Nelly! :wink:

I PAY for my shit legally. I pay the price agreed to by the distro and record label, who owns the tune produced by the producer.
I have every right to complain about APRA, who have fuck all to do with the production and/or distribution of said tune, if they wanna "cash in" on something that has bugger all to do with them.

I'd much prefer to buy tunes on wax mate - MUCH.

If I earnt a decent wage, or if I received decent income from playing said tunes out (DJ'ing), then perhaps I could justify spending 10 times the amount on my preferred medium (vinyl). But unfortunately I don't.
Last edited by Direkt on Thu May 08, 2008 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

deviant wrote:do beatport and the others sell mp3s so that people can only listen to them off their PC at home??? I don't reckon.
Well according to the licensing of the ones I've looked at they actually do.
Don't hate me for house
a1studmuffin

Post by a1studmuffin »

And yeah i feel strongly about it because i work in a record store
You sure do, and you're obviously heavily jaded - you've watched the death of vinyl kill your sales as the digital format and decentralized sales have slowly taken over. Coming from a producer, DJ, and label owner, I find your opinion - that anyone who's gone digital MUST BE pirating - is about as offensive and ignorant as the new APRA licence.
deviant

Post by deviant »

dude.... vinyl has this written on it....

"not for public broadcast or performance"

or words to that effect.