Teh Large Hadron Collider - Results?

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
mrj

Teh Large Hadron Collider - Results?

Post by mrj »

So, what do we think is going to happen when they turn this thing on?

100-1 - Opens up portal and Gozer the Traveller enters our world (for the first time since '85)
He's climbing in your windows, he's snatching your people up.
huge
old boy

Post by huge »

http://www.thelittlemule.com - tredleys and caffeine
http://www.dubstep.com.au - aussie dubstep forums
huge
old boy

Post by huge »

not just doom. but doom 2
cha_chaos

Post by cha_chaos »

Hopefully something interesting.... Hopefully it doesn't work :P

The rubber plant was surprised. If the rubber plant could have spoken, it wouldn't have said anything. That's how surprised the rubber plant was.
almax

Post by almax »

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle3689881.ece

THE internet could soon be made obsolete. The scientists who pioneered it have now built a lightning-fast replacement capable of downloading entire feature films within seconds.

At speeds about 10,000 times faster than a typical broadband connection, “the grid” will be able to send the entire Rolling Stones back catalogue from Britain to Japan in less than two seconds.

The latest spin-off from Cern, the particle physics centre that created the web, the grid could also provide the kind of power needed to transmit holographic images; allow instant online gaming with hundreds of thousands of players; and offer high-definition video telephony for the price of a local call.

David Britton, professor of physics at Glasgow University and a leading figure in the grid project, believes grid technologies could “revolutionise” society. “With this kind of computing power, future generations will have the ability to collaborate and communicate in ways older people like me cannot even imagine,” he said.

The power of the grid will become apparent this summer after what scientists at Cern have termed their “red button” day - the switching-on of the Large Hadron Collider (LHC), the new particle accelerator built to probe the origin of the universe. The grid will be activated at the same time to capture the data it generates.

Cern, based near Geneva, started the grid computing project seven years ago when researchers realised the LHC would generate annual data equivalent to 56m CDs - enough to make a stack 40 miles high.

This meant that scientists at Cern - where Sir Tim Berners-Lee invented the web in 1989 - would no longer be able to use his creation for fear of causing a global collapse.

This is because the internet has evolved by linking together a hotchpotch of cables and routing equipment, much of which was originally designed for telephone calls and therefore lacks the capacity for high-speed data transmission.

By contrast, the grid has been built with dedicated fibre optic cables and modern routing centres, meaning there are no outdated components to slow the deluge of data. The 55,000 servers already installed are expected to rise to 200,000 within the next two years.

Professor Tony Doyle, technical director of the grid project, said: “We need so much processing power, there would even be an issue about getting enough electricity to run the computers if they were all at Cern. The only answer was a new network powerful enough to send the data instantly to research centres in other countries.”

That network, in effect a parallel internet, is now built, using fibre optic cables that run from Cern to 11 centres in the United States, Canada, the Far East, Europe and around the world.

One terminates at the Rutherford Appleton laboratory at Harwell in Oxfordshire.

From each centre, further connections radiate out to a host of other research institutions using existing high-speed academic networks.

It means Britain alone has 8,000 servers on the grid system – so that any student or academic will theoretically be able to hook up to the grid rather than the internet from this autumn.

Ian Bird, project leader for Cern’s high-speed computing project, said grid technology could make the internet so fast that people would stop using desktop computers to store information and entrust it all to the internet.

“It will lead to what’s known as cloud computing, where people keep all their information online and access it from anywhere,” he said.

Computers on the grid can also transmit data at lightning speed. This will allow researchers facing heavy processing tasks to call on the assistance of thousands of other computers around the world. The aim is to eliminate the dreaded “frozen screen” experienced by internet users who ask their machine to handle too much information.

The real goal of the grid is, however, to work with the LHC in tracking down nature’s most elusive particle, the Higgs boson. Predicted in theory but never yet found, the Higgs is supposed to be what gives matter mass.

The LHC has been designed to hunt out this particle - but even at optimum performance it will generate only a few thousand of the particles a year. Analysing the mountain of data will be such a large task that it will keep even the grid’s huge capacity busy for years to come.

Although the grid itself is unlikely to be directly available to domestic internet users, many telecoms providers and businesses are already introducing its pioneering technologies. One of the most potent is so-called dynamic switching, which creates a dedicated channel for internet users trying to download large volumes of data such as films. In theory this would give a standard desktop computer the ability to download a movie in five seconds rather than the current three hours or so.

Additionally, the grid is being made available to dozens of other academic researchers including astronomers and molecular biologists.

It has already been used to help design new drugs against malaria, the mosquito-borne disease that kills 1m people worldwide each year. Researchers used the grid to analyse 140m compounds - a task that would have taken a standard internet-linked PC 420 years.

“Projects like the grid will bring huge changes in business and society as well as science,” Doyle said.

“Holographic video conferencing is not that far away. Online gaming could evolve to include many thousands of people, and social networking could become the main way we communicate.

“The history of the internet shows you cannot predict its real impacts but we know they will be huge.”
almax

Post by almax »

whoops, double post
Last edited by almax on Wed May 14, 2008 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
almax

Post by almax »

I wont post the whole article this time...

The first time travellers from the future could materialise on Earth within a few weeks.

Physicists around the world are excitedly awaiting the start up of the £4.65 billion Large Hadron Collider, LHC - the most powerful atom-smasher ever built - which is supposed to shed new light on the particles and forces at work in the cosmos and reproduce conditions that date to near the Big Bang of creation.

Prof Irina Aref'eva and Dr Igor Volovich, mathematical physicists at the Steklov Mathematical Institute in Moscow believe that the vast experiment at CERN, the European particle physics centre near Geneva in Switzerland, may turn out to be the world's first time machine, reports New Scientist.

Rest of article below

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/mai...scitime106.xml
Last edited by almax on Wed May 14, 2008 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ADD_Boy
like a tiger

Post by ADD_Boy »

i bet it does fuck all.
PUCK YOU MISS ~~!
Hardy

Post by Hardy »

I don't know, but I think the term "...to a gelatinous mess" will somehow be used to describe the aftermath.
deviant

Post by deviant »

they say it's cost $16Billion but I reckon it would be more......

funny if it does nothing.

If Higgs Bosom doesn't infact exsist, then the whole of what we know about particle physics will need to be re-thought. I guess this machine is giong to be the either the holy grail OR the nail in the coffin for current theories.
Reaper

Post by Reaper »

i just farted
Reap what you sow bitches!
almax

Post by almax »

Hardy wrote:I don't know, but I think the term "...to a gelatinous mess" will somehow be used to describe the aftermath.
Ive done some reading into what would happen if/when a black hole is to occur and here is how i understand it... there is always a "potential" for anything to happen - especially at such small scales HOWEVER ... *dramatic pause*

Any "black hole" is simply a matter of gravity. Get matter close enough, even a very small amount, very very small amount in this case-two protons, and the gravity will overpower all the other fundamental forces (electromagnetic, weak, strong) and enter into a vicious loop where the matter continues to get crushed down, which increases the gravitational power, which crushes it more, etc etc, "hole".

In the case of the LHC, maybe two protons are thrown into each other SO hard that a black hole forms. BUT the black hole is fucking tiny, its event horizon smaller then the radius of a proton, so it has to get ridiculously close to anything else to "suck it in" and increase its mass, then again, and again, and again about a trillion more times to get big enough to worry about. In the meantime, it's hovering in a magnetic tube not even remotely close to any other matter.

SO, "Hawking Radiation" in a grossly abbreviated nutshell: An observed fact of the universe is vacuum fluctuations - out of nothing (not really "nothing" it's actually the background energy that exists everywhere) a pair of particles will pop into existence traveling away from each other. They'll arc back together and POOF - annihilate each other because one is an electron (itty-bitty, negatively charged particle) and the other is its exact duplicate except positively charged, a positron. The latter is "anti-matter" so if it touches ANY electron it'll turn BOTH particles into energy. Already long story short, when this happens right next to the edge of a black hole's event horizon the anti-matter can get "captured" by the black hole while it's partner winks back out of existence without exploding.

This happens enough, and over enough time, like say around 60 trillion years, the black hole will explode.

In the case of a really TINY black hole, this only has to happen a couple times and the thing is done, and since vacuum fluctuations happen CONSTANTLY and EVERYWHERE the odds of the micro-black hole in the situation mentioned above (or any other) lasting more then a few nano-seconds is VERY low.

But yes, it could destroy us all. Science, Fuck yeah.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

almax wrote: But yes, it could destroy us all. Science, Fuck yeah.
word.

i hate to dumb it down, but digital fortress anyone?
deviant

Post by deviant »

let's say they do discover Higgs Boson, thus confirming the standard model as true.

what next?

I guess the next question is "what are fundamental particles made of?", "what are they made of that causes them to behave in the way that they do?"

The way I see it the universe is infinite.... in both directions, both large and small.

so, this persuit is like the opposite of astronomy. We will just have to keep on looking smaller and smaller.... it never ends. Pretty damn exciting though really.
Hardy

Post by Hardy »

deviant wrote:let's say they do discover Higgs Boson, thus confirming the standard model as true.

what next?

I guess the next question is "what are fundamental particles made of?", "what are they made of that causes them to behave in the way that they do?"

The way I see it the universe is infinite.... in both directions, both large and small.

so, this persuit is like the opposite of astronomy. We will just have to keep on looking smaller and smaller.... it never ends. Pretty damn exciting though really.
On one hand it excites the hell out of me and I want to know more, but on the other I think there's some things we're just not meant to know.
nic

Post by nic »

the LHC would generate annual data equivalent to 56m CDs - enough to make a stack 40 miles high.
good fact
FoundationStepper

Post by FoundationStepper »

how tall would a stack of dvds be though?
nic

Post by nic »

good honest everyday science for the common man, i wonder when / if this analogy will ever stop
mrj

Post by mrj »

deviant wrote: We will just have to keep on looking smaller and smaller.... it never ends.
yes it does

assuming quantum mechanics has got it right (I guess we are about to find that out) then we can assume that spacetime is not infinitley divisible.

its a point that Zeno proved in the year 400bc with his Achilles paradox (wiki it or something, its quite mind blowing).

so basically if we keep dividing up spacetime we should eventually get down to a base unit which are the lego of reality (or more accruately the tiny vibrating strings proposed by string theory).

the great thing about lego is, once you have all the pieces, you can start building!
deviant

Post by deviant »

isn't string theory (and super string theory) an alternative to the standard model?
mrj

Post by mrj »

I dunno. I don't really understand it tbh

I thought string theory was just part of quantum mechanics.

maybs I should google it.
C.I.A.

Post by C.I.A. »

There are several models.

Duh :roll:

:teef:
I wanted to be a hero. I wanted to be the center of attention. I wanted the glory, I wanted the fame. I wanted the pretty girls to come up and say, "Hi, I see that you're good at Centipede."
mrj

Post by mrj »

10000 - 1

The Large Hardon Collider reverses the Earths gay polarity, turning eveyone straight gay and everyone gay straight. This has the following knock on effects

- KD Lang and Julian Clary get married. Release combined cd called "Sticky Duets"

- Barbara Streisand rockets to the top of the charts and becomes the best selling recording artist of all time

- ABBAs "Dancing Queen" becomes the Australian National Anthem

- VB stops making beers and instead starts producing "The Flirtinee" which instantly becomes the national drink

- The divorce rate plummets as husbands and wives finally get honest with each other about not finding each other sexually attractive anymore

- Sales of Hummers way down. Sales of Ford Festiva's way up.

- Retro opens up 8 new venues in the CBD
mrj

Post by mrj »

C.I.A. wrote:There are several models.

Duh :roll:

:teef:
I thought they were all variants on string theory though - 1 with 5 dimensions, 1 with 7 dimensions, 1 with 13 dimensions etc etc
gnat

Post by gnat »

mrj wrote:10000 - 1

The Large Hardon Collider reverses the Earths gay polarity, turning eveyone straight gay and everyone gay straight. This has the following knock on effects

- KD Lang and Julian Clary get married. Release combined cd called "Sticky Duets"

- Barbara Streisand rockets to the top of the charts and becomes the best selling recording artist of all time

- VB stops making beers and instead starts producing "The Flirtinee" which instantly becomes the national drink

- The divorce rate plummets as husbands and wives finally get honest with each other about not finding each other sexually attractive anymore

:hahaha:

old skool j gold right there
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss
Hardy

Post by Hardy »

J, you make life almost tolerable.
spazz

Post by spazz »

deviant wrote:isn't string theory (and super string theory) an alternative to the standard model?
Yup.

String theory works in lots of dimensions, QM only 4.

LHC will be waaay cool. I like the image of physicists cycling around the thing.

I dont think there will be any black holes created.
Hardy

Post by Hardy »

spazz wrote:
deviant wrote:isn't string theory (and super string theory) an alternative to the standard model?
Yup.

String theory works in lots of dimensions, QM only 4.

LHC will be waaay cool. I like the image of physicists cycling around the thing.

I dont think there will be any black holes created.
Pffft. What would you know. Just cos you've got a degree in Astrolgy or Tarot or whatever.

Hi Jason!!!!!
huge
old boy

Post by huge »

please elaborate jase i know u wanna!!
Hardy

Post by Hardy »

huge wrote:please elaborate jase i know u wanna!!
It's a very unwise man whom asks Jason to elaborate...

DO IT JASE!!!
a1studmuffin

Post by a1studmuffin »

deviant wrote:The way I see it the universe is infinite.... in both directions, both large and small.
Of course you do, you're in it. :D Pacman probably thinks his universe is infinite to the left and right as well. :)
deviant

Post by deviant »

left and right weren't the directions I was talking about numb-nuts
Lós Kasino—

Post by Lós Kasino— »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qU1fixMAObI

this helps outline the 10 dimensions / string theory for anyone who hasn't seen it.

does my head in around the 7th dimension when everything we experience in our lifetime is simply one of many alternative timelines / infinities .... that we will never consciously live in.

:cyclopsani:
Last edited by Lós Kasino— on Thu May 15, 2008 4:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
a1studmuffin

Post by a1studmuffin »

deviant: Wukka wukka wukka

:D

That YouTube vid is a great watch too, although it somewhat ruins the charm when the title of the video is "Don't watch while stoned" :D

The physicists + engineers seem to know their shit though... from Wikipedia:
On March 27, 2007, there was an incident during a pressure test involving one of the LHC's inner triplet magnet assemblies provided by Fermilab and KEK. No people were injured, but a cryogenic magnet support broke. Fermilab director Pier Oddone stated 'In this case we are dumbfounded that we missed some very simple balance of forces.'
:D
deviant

Post by deviant »

mrj wrote:its a point that Zeno proved in the year 400bc with his Achilles paradox (wiki it or something, its quite mind blowing).
archillies paradox is flawed for a number of reasons... firstly it already asumes an end, before the motion even begun. there are always finite boundaries (as set out by matter and such) that can be reached.......

the paradox doesn't take into account speed and a posible reduction in speed.... if the speed was also halved with the distance it would make more sense.

when the racer gets to the end what is on the other side of the end?

if you have to go half the way first and can never make it, wouldn't time just colapse on itself? maybe that's the point? maybe there is another dimension present which prevents this from occuring?
mrj

Post by mrj »

deviant wrote:
mrj wrote:its a point that Zeno proved in the year 400bc with his Achilles paradox (wiki it or something, its quite mind blowing).
archillies paradox is flawed for a number of reasons... firstly it already asumes an end, before the motion even begun. there are always finite boundaries (as set out by matter and such) that can be reached.......

the paradox doesn't take into account speed and a posible reduction in speed.... if the speed was also halved with the distance it would make more sense.

if you have to go half the way first and can never make it, wouldn't time just colapse on itself? maybe that's the point? maybe there is another dimension present which prevents this from occuring?
Yes. You are absolutley right! Zeno's achilles paradox is flawed, but thats the whole point and therein lies its value (and this was Zeno's point too). Its counter to what we are able to observe and what we know to be true. Hence the term PARADOX!!!!! :gasp:

For the theory to work it would rely on the assumption that both Achilles and the tortise can be in constant motion. As we know the results are not replicable thus we know that this is not true. Have we not arrived at a pretty cool conclusion here? things cannot be in constant motion! Further to this we know that if spacetime was a single continum then things could stay in constant motion, extrapolate it out then we know that space time is not a one piece continuim, ie it must be made up of base units. Extrapolate the logic out further and we can concluse that those units cannot get infinitisimly smaller (which would be as good as a one piece continum for the purpose of this analysis). Thus at some point of drilling down into reality you must reach a base unit past which things cannot be reduced hence...........................time and space are not infintiley divisible.

or something. I probably stuffed up the reasoning behind it somewhere along the way, all I know is someone smarter than you, i and jesus put it together and it made sense.
same o
peteybear™

Post by same o »

mrj wrote:10000 - 1

ROFL
Hardy

Post by Hardy »

What I want to know is: What would happen if they put a bunch of mice in there?
deviant

Post by deviant »

dude.... minus 280degrees operating temp
Hardy

Post by Hardy »

Warm them up first. And put little helmets on them.
same o
peteybear™

Post by same o »

i think u would have dead mice.
deviant

Post by deviant »

with little scarves and jackets to stop them freezing
same o
peteybear™

Post by same o »

deviant wrote:with little scarves and jackets to stop them freezing
space suits perhaps?
deviant

Post by deviant »

hot cup of milo
Hardy

Post by Hardy »

sAme'0 wrote:
space suits perhaps?
Now we're on the same page! You could race the fuckers around the thing at lightspeed, it would be great!
same o
peteybear™

Post by same o »

Hardy wrote:
sAme'0 wrote:
space suits perhaps?
Now we're on the same page! You could race the fuckers around the thing at lightspeed, it would be great!
lol light speed mice racing ftw!
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

Hardy wrote:Warm them up first. And put little helmets on them.
:lol:
deviant

Post by deviant »

mrj wrote:
deviant wrote:

Yes. You are absolutley right! Zeno's achilles paradox is flawed, but thats the whole point and therein lies its value (and this was Zeno's point too). Its counter to what we are able to observe and what we know to be true. Hence the term PARADOX!!!!! :gasp:
patronizing much?

I mean, it is flawed in that it is not really a paradox.
mrj

Post by mrj »

lol true

sorry man, sarcasm bone took over.
deviant

Post by deviant »

thinking with your bone again... tsk tsk