Street Press vs Unbiased Gig Related Info

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
Blaxter

Street Press vs Unbiased Gig Related Info

Post by Blaxter »

So its pretty clear that both local strert presses, Beat and Inpress have obvious advertising for editorial policues.
Apart from token gig listings it's prrtty near impossible to find out about anything that isn't already slapping you round the fave via posters and other forms of advertsiing.

So where do you guys get you tips for interesting events, new music etc?
Jinx

Re: Street Press vs Unbiased Gig Related Info

Post by Jinx »

Blaxter wrote:So its pretty clear that both local strert presses, Beat and Inpress have obvious advertising for editorial policues.
Apart from token gig listings it's prrtty near impossible to find out about anything that isn't already slapping you round the fave via posters and other forms of advertsiing.

melbournebeats.com 8)
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Yup.... MB.com.
Feigan

Post by Feigan »

I just ask Spiesy - he's all over it.
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

Blaxter wrote:So where do you guys get you tips for interesting events, new music etc?

Inpress & Beat
I think I am, Therefore I am. I think
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Feigan wrote:I just ask Spiesy - he's all over it.
I'm all over you big boy! :P
FunkyJ

Post by FunkyJ »

Melbourne Beats and inthemix
Ready to drop, Audio rock, here comes the boy from the South!
-= www.funkyj.com =-
obliveus

Post by obliveus »

Spiesy gets my vote, too. He's all knowing.

8)

Way too much dnb and breaks on mb.com for my tastes...

:teef:
Hardy

Post by Hardy »

breaksRbest wrote:
Blaxter wrote:So where do you guys get you tips for interesting events, new music etc?

Inpress & Beat
:scr1pt:

And MB of course.
witty_pseudonym

Post by witty_pseudonym »

MB's my pick for clubbing events, but it's a fairly narrow perspective of what's on though. parties put on by promoters that aren't on here rarely get a mention, and there's very little mention of music outside the electronic 'scene'. i wouldn't have been to a lot of stuff this year had i solely relied on MB.

i grab street rag every now and then to see what's on. i like them.
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

MB, posters and Mecka (who is walking gig guide)
live your life like every week is shark week
click here fo fotos
universal sea

Post by universal sea »

much better gig/party guide needed. MB is decent but not comprehensive.

rumour has it there's something called GASHE hitting the streets in July that will put an end to the Beat/Inpress rule...
shepherd

Post by shepherd »

universal sea wrote:
rumour has it there's something called GASHE hitting the streets in July that will put an end to the Beat/Inpress rule...
just like scene mag, lucky, 3D World etc ... they all squashed the duopoly ... i think some people completely underestimate the resource needed to unseat these two publications. big barriers to entry
deviant

Post by deviant »

One thing I find extremely strange is the THEY ARE EXACTLY THE SAME :?

surely they could be more beneficial if they were both slightly different.
Feigan

Post by Feigan »

massive barriers I reckon Shep - how long did Scene last in Melbs? wasn't more than a year was it?
universal sea

Post by universal sea »

I think an unconventional approach is needed, instead of, Oh lets start the same thing as Beat and do it the same way. Boring, unimaginative, destined for failure.

step up, Melbourne.
Blaxter

Post by Blaxter »

deviant wrote:One thing I find extremely strange is the THEY ARE EXACTLY THE SAME :?

surely they could be more beneficial if they were both slightly different.
Your right, they are both a waste of paper.
gnat

Post by gnat »

mb for electronic and panNik for anything on the edge

i also check street posters and after almost missing black crowes this year i now religiously get inpress every week
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss
Hardy

Post by Hardy »

As far as advertising events, I don't really see we people are having a go at Beat and Inpress. Surely it's up to the promotors to PROMOTE the gigs, and to let B and I know about the events, yes? If no one knows about the events, there's only one person to blame.
Feigan

Post by Feigan »

does anyone use ticketek or ticketmaster for gigs & events?

I get a weekly email from them with what's on..

I hardly read it - but I do get it.

Then there's this newish site -

http://www.mytickets.com.au/

I did some work for them recently - why not give them a plug....
Hardy

Post by Hardy »

Feigan wrote:does anyone use ticketek or ticketmaster for gigs & events?

I get said emails. Always handy, and usually contains info I haven't heard elsewhere.
gnat

Post by gnat »

oh yeh i get ticketmaster update too

and i used my ticekts for gurg tix last week

bases seem to be covered lol
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

yep i check that out i.e. the weekly emails. handy!
Last edited by Lizkins on Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
live your life like every week is shark week
click here fo fotos
Blaxter

Post by Blaxter »

Hardy - the diffcuilty with Street Prsess from my point of view is that they only interview and promote events/ artists etx that have an advertising spend with them.
I'm interested in a whole lot more than Judas Priests and Tiesto - the question really is where to peeps go to find out about other events that don't have the revenue to waste with trashy street publications.
lynt

Post by lynt »

Blaxter wrote:Hardy - the diffcuilty with Street Prsess from my point of view is that they only interview and promote events/ artists etx that have an advertising spend with them.
I'm interested in a whole lot more than Judas Priests and Tiesto - the question really is where to peeps go to find out about other events that don't have the revenue to waste with trashy street publications.
I reckon they'd have to go to someone who is happy to flip the printing costs of advertising events. ;)
Hardy

Post by Hardy »

lynt wrote:
Blaxter wrote:Hardy - the diffcuilty with Street Prsess from my point of view is that they only interview and promote events/ artists etx that have an advertising spend with them.
I reckon they'd have to go to someone who is happy to flip the printing costs of advertising events. ;)

Unfortunately J, I don't think you're going to find anybody willing to print street-press style/sized publications for free. Apart from being economically retarded, it would still most likely fail put up against Beat and Inpress. The only really economically viable way of doing what you ask is to do it online. And i'm sure they prolly exist, but you'll have to hunt them down.
lynt

Post by lynt »

Hardy wrote:
lynt wrote:

Unfortunately J, I don't think you're going to find anybody willing to print street-press style/sized publications for free. Apart from being economically retarded, it would still most likely fail put up against Beat and Inpress. The only really economically viable way of doing what you ask is to do it online. And i'm sure they prolly exist, but you'll have to hunt them down.
I'm sure most of them also come with advertising.

Not us. Which is why we're cunts.
Blaxter

Post by Blaxter »

Hardy wrote:
lynt wrote:

Thats what this thread is all about. Where do peeps get tip offs etc.
universal sea

Post by universal sea »

Im on the mailing list for various venues... the Prince one told me about Tricky I hadn't heard about, so I posted it.

Impress & Beat - try submitting your events to them. They don't add them all the time, and the process is a backwards pain in the ass, even Beat's new "Automated" system sucks. Fuck em.
Blaxter

Post by Blaxter »

universal sea wrote:Im on the mailing list for various venues... the Prince one told me about Tricky I hadn't heard about, so I posted it.

Impress & Beat - try submitting your events to them. They don't add them all the time, and the process is a backwards pain in the ass, even Beat's new "Automated" system sucks. Fuck em.
I'm not interested in advertising or promoting. I am soley interested in my own musical thirst for knowledge.

So it seems mailnig list are the go. I get the Ticketek one. The Tote mailing list and Faster Louder updates.
What elese is there out here?
Polecat

Post by Polecat »

I book and buy things because of the ticketmaster update emails.

I missed out on Kooks tickets (like a lot of ppl) because I couldn't find out where they were on easily because I don't pick up or see Beat or Inpress much these days. The info is there on your "my tickets" site, so I signed up for that.

Still crushed i missed out on The Kooks. Whaaaah.
Just because I rock, doesn't mean I'm made of stone.
Baby Ruth

Post by Baby Ruth »

I get the weekley ticketek, ticketmaster emails.

visa preferred seating is also good to find out who is coming, and to keep an eye out for them (tho i would never buy a single thing from them cos of their overinflated prices and inability to tell you what seats you are actually going to get for that!)

i also get the mailing list ones from my preferred venues, like the prince, northcote social, and east brunswick.
enigneyratorelknaw

Post by enigneyratorelknaw »

Meditate
nic

Post by nic »

forumz/blogs, boomkat n bleep for new music, mbc isnt really useful for music stuff (apart from local events)