Your sample collection - How to organise

Tips, hints, help, tech support, setups, systems and all things related to making phat beats. Post your latest production for all to hear & review. Or quiz the resident nerds about that tech problem you just can't figure out.
Robot Rod

Your sample collection - How to organise

Post by Robot Rod »

I have a few sample packs and what not now and find it hard to find what i want quickly.
At the moment i have them in their kits ie : Smokers Delight, Jay Dee collection, Drum Machines etc etc. But i find this way a little hard get around.

I was thinking about placing all my kicks together, snares, fx and so on.
How does everyone else arrange their collections, their has to be an more organised way.

Cheers
RR
Direkt

Re: Your sample collection - How to organise

Post by Direkt »

Have tried putting all kicks together before etc... can be good, can also be a pain in the ass when you're looking for a specific one shot.

Now I've just got them organised a little more randomly... I.e. kick folder, with subfolders of different samples...

End of the day - whatever works for you I guess.
a1studmuffin

Post by a1studmuffin »

I wrote a Windows tool to non-destructively categorize + sort huge sample libraries into categories based on filename/path search criteria (eg. "kick", "bd", "kd"):

http://auralprobe.sourceforge.net

Now all I do when I buy a sample CD is copy it to my HDD under C:\Samples\<name of CD> and Aural Probe automatically picks it up and indexes the samples in the appropriate categories so I can audition them easily later on.
Robot Rod

Post by Robot Rod »

a1studmuffin wrote:I wrote a Windows tool to non-destructively categorize + sort huge sample libraries into categories based on filename/path search criteria (eg. "kick", "bd", "kd"):

Now all I do when I buy a sample CD is copy it to my HDD under C:\Samples\<name of CD> and Aural Probe automatically picks it up and indexes the samples in the appropriate categories so I can audition them easily later on.

Nice one, im on the download now............1.5kB/sec ????????
mrj

Post by mrj »

fuck A1, thats a wicked tool.
He's climbing in your windows, he's snatching your people up.
deviant

Post by deviant »

a1studmuffin wrote:I wrote a Windows tool to non-destructively categorize + sort huge sample libraries into categories based on filename/path search criteria (eg. "kick", "bd", "kd"):

that's pretty much the best answer to a question on a forum I've ever seen.
a1studmuffin

Post by a1studmuffin »

LOL... just glad other people are enjoying it. :)
fresh mess

Post by fresh mess »

simplify maaan! Keep the good ones you actually use, chuck the rest, then it'll be quick & easy to find the perfect ones for your tune. Yes you'll get an uneasy "oh god maybe i could've used that snare" feeling at first but it'll pass i promise.
flippo

Post by flippo »

no such thing as a bad sample imo!