Favourite Melbourne Suburb

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
Snowie

Post by Snowie »

Direktor wrote:
Fents wrote:I love warrandyte too, been swimming there about 10 times in the last month.
Where do you swim there? OB lives up that way...

Anywhere, but Pound Bend is a good spot that is very popular for families.
Easy @ Word - 23rd May Opening Night, every saturday
Everything You Want - Fridays @ Lounge Downstairs
OldSkool Hip Hop and Funk - Saturdays @ Red Violin
www.myspace.com/djsnowie

Friday

Post by Friday »

breaksRbest wrote:
mecka wrote:lol I know where Wonga Park is Glenny... its all huge blocks of land and housing estates.

yeah, pretty much. And a whole lotta nothin' else

my parents had a massive block, which is now a kind of housing estate. the good thing about the housing estates their is that all the houses aren't squashed into 1/4 acre blocks, you're not allowed to sub-divide your land into anything less than 1 acre blocks
yeah i grew up in warranwood. halfway between warrandyte and ringwood. just by wonga park. i loved it growing up!

we moved to camberwell when i was 13 though so it worked out well - just when i started to really get into music and shopping and stuff and less into playing in the garden we moved...

i love it out there though!

camberwell is great but some of the people piss me off a little. windsor where we are at the moment is aces.
drew

Re: Favourite Melbourne Suburb

Post by drew »

Direktor wrote:It's just lacking a decent pub/bar as the Palace sucks balls IMO.
come on...the palace isnt that bad :teef: its got level 1!!!

we also have bar non as well...thats a good place, but a bit $$$ though, but ur right, we do need a good pub/ bar or something there

i would ahve to say richmond/ north fitzroy/ middle park are my top suburbs... just something about 3 of them are just nice, good locations, good pubs, nice architecture, nice enviroment...their just nice :D

edit: also added East melbourne onto the list!!! same reasons as above...
Last edited by drew on Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

I grew up in Camberwell, but it's changed a lot now.

There's a Range Rovers/Mercedes in every driveway now, for a start. :teef:
DRS wrote:It’s uplifting while we drift through time,
‘cause we keep pushing the vibe.
djboganofbeatz

Post by djboganofbeatz »

yeahh wazza d reprezent...
i live right near pound bend...some guy drowned in the tunnel there and they have fenced off parts of it which is kinda gay...
mountain biking in the hills is always good yeahh
huge
old boy

Post by huge »

east melbourne is pretty special.

one day i will own a mega house there and it will be awesome.
http://www.thelittlemule.com - tredleys and caffeine
http://www.dubstep.com.au - aussie dubstep forums
jungirl

Post by jungirl »

Defo St Kilda East, Malvern area ish. Wish I still lived there, lotsa great cafes, the wall does the best coffee in the world, and the Jewish Bakeries are off the hook!

Im in Southbank right in the city now, Its great being right in the centre, close to everything... but i do Imiss suburban living :(
lynt

Post by lynt »

huge wrote:east melbourne is pretty special.

I shared a Victorian on Grey St for $40 a month when I first moved to Melbourne. We had a floor each!

My flatmates uncle owned it and wanted us to live there while he saved $$ to reno. Then he kicked us out.
cj the taniwha

Post by cj the taniwha »

djboganofbeatz wrote:yeahh wazza d reprezent...
i live right near pound bend...some guy drowned in the tunnel there and they have fenced off parts of it which is kinda gay...
yeah?

always looking for new places to ride, went out on the billabong trails off the eastern freeway last night and smacked my head into a tree at pace. :oops:
Back from the desert to stir things up a little :)
Stray

Post by Stray »

Snowie wrote:
Direktor wrote:
Fents wrote:I love warrandyte too, been swimming there about 10 times in the last month.
Where do you swim there? OB lives up that way...

I've done from jumping creek to eltham about ten times. That's a great trip.
scotty woo hoo

Post by scotty woo hoo »

warrandyte is a great place.

northcote is my favorite inner city suburb tho. i dont think i could go back to living in the burbs.
numz

Post by numz »

calstro wrote:
stovequeen wrote:I like..

- North Melbourne
- North Carlton
- Northcote
- North Fitzroy

Anwhere north basically :teef:
how bout North Dandenong?
I'm a nth dandy boy... for life.

But its Richmond and Prahran for me..
huh
dengelman

Post by dengelman »

I'm in Carlton now which is just so ridiculously convenient for city and fitzroy nightlife and PT aplently. We use the car once a month. Lygon doesn't really do it for me though - just no soul.

Lived in 5 different places in the inner north last 8 years. North Fitzroy is cool, and I miss the ethnic mayhem of Brunswick/Sydney Rd. East Melb soulds a dream but imagine it's priced through the roof.

Gotta have a garden, street-level cred. and parks nearby. Could never go back to apartment living.

Interesting to hear people rave about Northcote - do you find it a pain to get to/home from city or Brunna St? Is it very anglo or lots of ethnic stylings?

When I'm buying I'll be looking for a bit of quiet and suburban life within the inner city. Must have a good variety of non-pretentious food places though! Either that or fuck off down the coast.
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

dengelman wrote:Interesting to hear people rave about Northcote - do you find it a pain to get to/home from city or Brunna St? Is it very anglo or lots of ethnic stylings?
Northcote is a quick tram ride, either on St Georges Road or High Street.
Only the meek get pinched...the bold survive
quick

Post by quick »

lynt wrote:

I shared a Victorian on Grey St for $40 a month when I first moved to Melbourne. We had a floor each!

My flatmates uncle owned it and wanted us to live there while he saved $$ to reno. Then he kicked us out.
true story!
I kissed a squirrel and I liked it... taste of her acorn chapstick
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

jungirl wrote:Defo St Kilda East, Malvern area ish. Wish I still lived there, lotsa great cafes, the wall does the best coffee in the world, and the Jewish Bakeries are off the hook!

Im in Southbank right in the city now, Its great being right in the centre, close to everything... but i do Imiss suburban living :(
The Wall's coffee kicks ass... I live in E.Malvern now... nothng to report there except that Ardrie Park kicks ass!
deviant

Post by deviant »

dengelman wrote:Lygon doesn't really do it for me though - just no soul.
it's the restaurant owners that try and block your way as you walk to get you into there joint that shit me, even if you have just eaten :roll: I find it really annoying. One of the reasons I also hate China Town.

grumble.

brunny st/smith st are much more enjoyable places (except on a fri/sat night.... could not)
Lauer

Post by Lauer »

Snowie wrote:Warrandyte, I love the bush . Yeah, it abit out of town, but with freeways it make everything alittle closer. In the early 80's, the city was easily 50min+ away, but now it's realistically only 30 mins. The size of properties and the governance on removal of tree's has ensured that this quite little community remains some of it natural bush charm. You have the yarra right on your doorstep, and even better is that it is clear and clean that far up. The community is basically surrounded by national/state parks, with heaps of wildlife, You couldn't ask for more. Serenity.
Its taken me 15 minutes to get from the city to warrandyte at 12 o clock at night.

But your right it takes about 30 minutes normally.

I really like East Melbourne, pretty pricy though, median house price is 1.15 mil and apartments is something like $370k which is not much under the average house price across melbourne.
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

Stray wrote:
Snowie wrote:
Direktor wrote: Where do you swim there? OB lives up that way...

I've done from jumping creek to eltham about ten times. That's a great trip.

Brunswick to Eltham is a great bike ride! Even better if you go all the way to Hurstbridge, then get a slapup fish and chip feed on the way back.
DRS wrote:It’s uplifting while we drift through time,
‘cause we keep pushing the vibe.
Lauer

Post by Lauer »

lynt wrote:

I used to work in Fitzroy for Peter Markovic :x , Did an appraisal on a house in Hotham St.

3 stories, 4 bedrooms, 4 kitchens and 4 bathrooms, all levels had different theme, one was japanese and different shit from around the world. Another was old gothic style and another was 70's art deco style. with a lush garden and pond.

Would be 2.3 to 2.5 mil at least.

Check the one on the corner of Gipps and Powlett :o
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

I have lived in

Rosanna
Camberwell
North Balwyn
Greensborough
Westgarth
Northcote
North Fitzroy

i think that is all...done more moving than that, just can't remember right now.

Anyways, i gotta say North Fitz for the win! But if i bought a place, i would go North Fitz (really close to a park, pref facing one) or Northcote.....or fuck off out of the city altogether and live by the beach < i did just win my millions of course. hmmmm millions
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

Lizkins wrote:I have lived in

Rosanna
Camberwell
North Balwyn
Greensborough
Westgarth
Northcote
North Fitzroy

i think that is all...done more moving than that, just can't remember right now.

Anyways, i gotta say North Fitz for the win! But if i bought a place, i would go North Fitz (really close to a park, pref facing one) or Northcote.....or fuck off out of the city altogether and live by the beach < i did just win my millions of course. hmmmm millions
Was Nth Fitzroy the place next to mine off spring st?

Good times :D
Only the meek get pinched...the bold survive
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

The Mixtress wrote:

Rosanna
Camberwell
North Balwyn
Greensborough
Westgarth
Northcote
North Fitzroy

i think i am up to 2nd or 3rd place in North Fitz. i forget :? still in North Fitz now :wink:
spiral

Post by spiral »

north melbourne for me..
I lived on rathdowne st for a while, was all a bit chi chi tho
..suburbs give me the fear
FoundationStepper

Post by FoundationStepper »

spiral wrote: ..suburbs give me the fear
hahaha :lol:
Rob M

Post by Rob M »

Portsea + Rye is awesome ... wish I had a beach house :)
Lephrenic

Post by Lephrenic »

North Melbourne and Kensington ftw.
db

Post by db »

Elwood all the way... Best suburb in the state, imo.

Prahran is a close 2nd.

8)
Pimpin' since pimpin' was pimpin'

DOPEBEAT'S MYSPACE
paranoid edge

Post by paranoid edge »

The Mixtress wrote:

Rosanna
Camberwell
North Balwyn
Greensborough
Westgarth
Northcote
North Fitzroy

Spring st is jus Fitz...
paranoid edge

Post by paranoid edge »

Footscray aka "THA CRAY" is tha new black :wink:
djboganofbeatz

Post by djboganofbeatz »

cj the taniwha wrote:
djboganofbeatz wrote:yeahh wazza d reprezent...
yeah?

always looking for new places to ride, went out on the billabong trails off the eastern freeway last night and smacked my head into a tree at pace. :oops:
theres a few fire trails etc. behind the main road... One called fourth hill by the name its extremely hilly but you will find alot of great trails round there...my dad came off the other day :roll: and broke his arm haha...
soo theres some difficult parts but if you have a decent mountain bike u shouldnt have any trouble.
Just ask any of the locals on bikes where some good trails are...chances are they will tell you
*catalyst

Post by *catalyst »

I haven't lived in Melbourne for a long time, only about 12 months. Lived in Brunswick West and now Northcote.

I like both but I think the place I was living in Brunswick was cooler, also had cooler housemates.

I find where I am in Northcote (near Dennis station) a bit 'nothing' its not cosy and its not exposed, not busy, not quiet. I dunno. Not much 'soul' where I am.

Wouldn't mind chillin back in brunswick or something.
"Anybody want some motherfucking Earl Grey?" -Cleveland
bassfreak

Post by bassfreak »

I have been in Melb a year now and have been living in the city the whole time (corner of Bourke and Spencer). City life is fun, great in the weekends, but tends to make you party too hard!
After a year of living in an apartment (never lived in one before) I am starting to feel claustrophobic. The concrete jungle starts getting to you after a while. I want a backyard and a real house!
So thinking about moving to one of the inner suburbs soon.
Blaxter

Post by Blaxter »

It's all down to how you choose to live, not what the suburb has to offer. Small town FTW.
unsoundbwoy

Post by unsoundbwoy »

black star wrote:It's all down to how you choose to live, not what the suburb has to offer. Small town FTW.
hmmmmmm.
RMHC

Post by RMHC »

Richmond, you get to play both sides :love:
andy_hoffman

Post by andy_hoffman »

I really can't believe mooroolbark hasn't had a mention on this thread! What a great place to live!

:teef:

MOOROOLBARK REPREZENT!
...................................................................................................................................................
no more epilepsy raptor jesus
nhd

Post by nhd »

lived in Windsor since i came into this wide world.
love it, its good for me, its good for you.
some parts of prahran are ghetto, could not live around sth yarra end of chapel st.

i like port melbourne, middle park as well, i could hang out with mums all day ;)
PeACheSsS

Post by PeACheSsS »

Footscray!!!!
especially Buckly St!
OnlY Cuz l WAZza PimpiN' n A BlINgiN', TwASn'T Me_____Gigolos Vs Pimps
Andrez

Post by Andrez »

Direktor wrote:
shepherd wrote:coopers on tap 10 min walk from my house.
Niiiice

...indeed!!!
mecka

Post by mecka »

whoever said box hill was awesome mustve been joking.
Blaxter

Post by Blaxter »

no one jokes round here
quick

Post by quick »

black star wrote:no one jokes round here
oh the irony...
I kissed a squirrel and I liked it... taste of her acorn chapstick
nadine

Post by nadine »

quick wrote: true story!
"True story" always make me lmfao... don't know why :lol:

Kensington is so nice (if you can ignore the Edward Scissorhands style of housing ). Lived there for 2 years and it was about a $7 cab fare from the city. The pub (Hardimans) knew us by name after a while - are they the ones that have Coopers on tap? Drive thru every once in a while for a touch of nostalgia.

I always thought Fitzroy was the best suburb in Melbourne, but I think the core of Fitzroy has now moved north to Nth Fitzroy/Northcote/Brunswick.
obliveus

Post by obliveus »

RINGWOOD NORTH!!!

- Surrounded by parklands, cool hills, trails and paths to mountain bike on and can connect to a city ride if willing.
- Took me 25 minutes to get to my gig in the CBD last night, but usually 30 minutes. I got lucky and caught a few good lights. It used to take me 30 minutes to get to the CBD when we lived in Hawthorn, cuz of all the crap lights and my crap driving skills.
- 4 bedroom house, front/back yard = radness (way cheaper than a 3 bedroom with hardly no yard we used to rent in Hawthorn)
- The best schools in walking distance for my kids...govt all the way.
- Eastland Mall has all our shopping and banking needs. (walking distance)
- Ringwood North shops have a rad cafe, finally! (walking distance)
- Only 10 minutes from Warrandyte.
- Nice, quiet neighbourhood (good for kids and family).
- Seperate back bedroom for all my recs, etc.
- Only 20 minute drive from work in Box Hill and Doncaster.

I love this suburb. If we can afford it, we're buying here ASAP!!!
mecka

Post by mecka »

quick wrote:
black star wrote:no one jokes round here
oh the irony...
oh the ironing.

i'm going to make a great dad.
DEAN G

Post by DEAN G »

obliveus wrote:RINGWOOD NORTH!!!

- Surrounded by parklands, cool hills, trails and paths to mountain bike on and can connect to a city ride if willing.
- Took me 25 minutes to get to my gig in the CBD last night, but usually 30 minutes. I got lucky and caught a few good lights. It used to take me 30 minutes to get to the CBD when we lived in Hawthorn, cuz of all the crap lights and my crap driving skills.
- 4 bedroom house, front/back yard = radness (way cheaper than a 3 bedroom with hardly no yard we used to rent in Hawthorn)

As much as Ringwood gets paid out on, the cred belongs to the north of Ringwood. I thought it was a pretty decent place to grow up in, and OB did you know that Mullum Mullum creek has the highest platypus population in Australia?
nic

Post by nic »

lower cbd

great supermarkets!
No vomit or urine!
Nice and quiet!
No bogans!
Not many of those great cleaning trucks and ride on sweepers!
Cheap!
Fresh air, no smells!
ADD_Boy
like a tiger

Post by ADD_Boy »

^^ ur a funny khunt nic.

no bogans :lol:

Richmond 4 me.
PUCK YOU MISS ~~!
djboganofbeatz

Post by djboganofbeatz »

obliveus wrote:RINGWOOD NORTH!!!

Its home of lx productions aswell ... They supply me with all my lighting needs haha...
My mate works at ringwood north ritchies...u shud feel proud OB