the official console and PC nerdy thread!

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
Hardy

Re: the official console and PC nerdy thread!

Post by Hardy »

kronz wrote:
Hardy wrote:
kronz wrote:I have the 3 lights of death on my 360.

Can this be fixed? Where? How much?
If it's not modded, send it back to Microsoft (go to their website).

If it's modded, take it... somewhere else.
It's not modded but i dont have a receipt, will microsoft still take it?
yep. Send it off, you'll have it back in a week.
kronz
Location: so a family walks into a talent agent and the talent agent says "what's your act"?

Post by kronz »

Zerotonine wrote:

Most people have this problem because something has fried inside (common overheating problem, i believe). Microsoft can do repairs within and I think without warranty, but it will cost a fee if out of warranty. I personally had this issue, went through the troubleshooting steps and it turns out the harddrive thingo was a little loose. I removed it, then reinserted and the three red rings were gone. Been stable for 12 more months :)
Yeah i tried taking the hard drive out but that didn't fix it. Kind of pissing me off.
GO CATS! GO CATS!
Stray

Post by Stray »

There are so many things that can break.. almost all due to overheating.
Just go to the website and follow their instructions.. they will send you a replacement.
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Honestly, this was one of the biggest turnoffs in buying a 360. Unreliability.

Although they do seem to be supported well, they don't seem to be designed and/or built well.
Zerotonine

Post by Zerotonine »

Direkt wrote:Honestly, this was one of the biggest turnoffs in buying a 360. Unreliability.

Although they do seem to be supported well, they don't seem to be designed and/or built well.
I could be wrong, but the red rings of death problem was more prevalent in the previous revisions of the hardware. They did some internal design changes starting with the 360 Elite console released last year to reduce overheating. They did another change recently. The red rings also have a 3 year warranty.

Taken from some blog :
As of October 2008, a new motherboard configuration called "Jasper" which uses a 65nm CPU & GPU is used in the newer manufactured Xbox 360 models. Because this new motherboard configuration is said to produce less heat, it might have a positive effect on the failure rate. The "Jasper" consoles require less power to run and use a 150w power supply unlike the previous revision "Falcon" which used a 175w power supply. It has been noted that these newer models have 256mb built in flash memory instead of the 16mb memory from previous models which many people believe is for the installation of the New Xbox Exprience, which requires 128mb of free storage space to function correctly, the remaining space can also be used for the users to save games and other content onto it, rather than an external storage device such as the memory unit. Exact figures on the drop of the failure rate are not available however.

If your console gets replaced, chances are you'll get one of the newer hardware revisions which will reduce the chances of of the RRoD.
Allons-y!
kronz
Location: so a family walks into a talent agent and the talent agent says "what's your act"?

Post by kronz »

Hardy wrote:

If it's not modded, send it back to Microsoft (go to their website).

If it's modded, take it... somewhere else.
Big Ups Hardy, i had no idea i could do it through website, going to do it for free coz it's the 3 red lights and less than 3 years old. Fucking stocked!
GO CATS! GO CATS!
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

I hear ya... but still... "reduce chances", "might have a positive effect on failure rate" etc - don't sound overly convincing.

3yr warranty is good, hence my initial "well supported" statement. But I don't want to even have to mess around with the process of sending something back if there's an inherent design fault present that should have been picked up and remedied during initial testing.
kronz

Post by kronz »

Agreed.

I got my 360 for free and really only use it as a DVD player, sometimes play games, so i cant really complain.

Big Ups to free 360 and free service.
GO CATS! GO CATS!
Stray

Post by Stray »

Zerotonine wrote: If your console gets replaced, chances are you'll get one of the newer hardware revisions which will reduce the chances of of the RRoD.
Not true. You could get an early model.
Last edited by Stray on Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stray

Post by Stray »

Direkt wrote:I hear ya... but still... "reduce chances", "might have a positive effect on failure rate" etc - don't sound overly convincing.

3yr warranty is good, hence my initial "well supported" statement. But I don't want to even have to mess around with the process of sending something back if there's an inherent design fault present that should have been picked up and remedied during initial testing.
They knew about the defects but decided to go ahead with production so they could beat Sony to market.
In hindsight they should have fixed the issues as Sony delivered late with the PS3.
Zerotonine

Post by Zerotonine »

Direkt wrote:I hear ya... but still... "reduce chances", "might have a positive effect on failure rate" etc - don't sound overly convincing.

I know what you mean, I feel the same way. Shit should be stress tested, left on, in-game, in warm rooms for extended periods of time to make sure the product leaves the lab without faults.

I love how Microsoft just throws money at problems :lol:
Allons-y!
Zerotonine

Post by Zerotonine »

Stray wrote:
Zerotonine wrote: If your console gets replaced, chances are you'll get one of the newer hardware revisions which will reduce the chances of of the RRoD.
Not true. You could get an early model.
That's why I said "chances are", there's an element of chance in there ;). But you're right, it would make financial sense to replace with an early model refurb. I've never had to replace mine, so I don't have any personal anecdotes to share with what I've got back from M$.
Allons-y!
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Stray wrote:

They knew about the defects but decided to go ahead with production so they could beat Sony to market.
In hindsight they should have fixed the issues as Sony delivered late with the PS3.
Fo sho. Really bad idea in the context of building a trusted brand name.

I bet they're paying for it now.
Stray

Post by Stray »

Direkt wrote:
Stray wrote:

Fo sho. Really bad idea in the context of building a trusted brand name.

I bet they're paying for it now.
The extended 3 year warranty cost them 3 Billion. But they were first to market and have beaten Sony this generation.. How much is that worth?
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Yeah who knows mate, although you'd reckon the PS3 still has some sales numbers to grab being a much newer unit.

3 billion hey? That's quite a lot of money! And still a lot more to come from that I'd think.
Zerotonine

Post by Zerotonine »

Not that much of an impact as you would expect this time around, however how this hurts MS in terms of reputation going into the next generation remains to be seen. Remember also that 360 was out pretty much a full year before Sony's black beast.

Xbox 360 Sales :

Canada - 870,000
United States - 11.6 million
Europe - 7 million
United Kingdom - 2.3 million
Japan - 748,992
Worldwide - 22 million as of September 30, 2008

Playstation 3 Sales :

Canada - 520,000
United States - 5.7 million
Europe - 5 million
United Kingdom - 1.4 million
Japan - 2,369,484
Worldwide 16.84 million as of September 30, 2008

Q4 2008 is going to be interesting in terms of sales, most of the big titles are cross-platform.
Last edited by Zerotonine on Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Allons-y!
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

I would have thought there'd be more of a difference between 360 and PS3 sales worldwide TBH.
Zerotonine

Post by Zerotonine »

I just looked at my stats, and I wonder what category Australia fits into? My guess is Europe seeing how we're a PAL territory, thank god we're phasing that shit out.
Allons-y!
Stray

Post by Stray »

Current Figures for Hardware Sales ::

Wii - 39.00M
Xbox360 - 24.23M
PS3 - 17.57M

However it's the software sales that really count, as that is where they make all their money.

Attach rates ::

Wii - 5.5
Xbox360 - 8.1
PS3 - 5.3

In reality the Wii should be 4.5 as every unit comes with Wii Play.

Software Sales based on attach rate ::

Wii - 175.5M
Xbox360 - 196.26M
PS3 - 93.12M
Stray

Post by Stray »

In other news...

FunkyJ

Post by FunkyJ »

Sony are idiots.

It's like they're able bodied runners in the disabled olympics, and yet they still can't win!

They can't beat a broken system nor a pathetically retarded one.

They banked all their money on bluray, and it's basically failed. It's minidisk all over again.

They should have taken a whack on the chin and offered it cheaper by now.

With no reduction in price this christmas, and economic gloom certain for next year, I know I won't be getting a PS3 anytime soon, even if they bring out a game that gives you headjobs whilst simulating the effects of candyflipping...
Ready to drop, Audio rock, here comes the boy from the South!
-= www.funkyj.com =-
lynt

Post by lynt »

FunkyJ wrote:With no reduction in price this christmas, and economic gloom certain for next year, I know I won't be getting a PS3 anytime soon, even if they bring out a game that gives you headjobs whilst simulating the effects of candyflipping...
I'd buy it for that.
Stray

Post by Stray »

Stray wrote:In other news...

So this looks like 180 + 180 = 360 to me. With the green xbox colours and a very similar power switch icon.
Now just need to know what form it's going to take.
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

Zerotonine wrote:I just looked at my stats, and I wonder what category Australia fits into? My guess is Europe seeing how we're a PAL territory, thank god we're phasing that shit out.
yeah, europe = emea.
myspace / too much! / photos (flickr) / photos (tumblr)
aroes wrote:promising, but lost me at offensive mid range snarl
huge
old boy

Post by huge »

lynt wrote:
FunkyJ wrote:With no reduction in price this christmas, and economic gloom certain for next year, I know I won't be getting a PS3 anytime soon, even if they bring out a game that gives you headjobs whilst simulating the effects of candyflipping...
I'd buy it for that.
me too.

gg
http://www.thelittlemule.com - tredleys and caffeine
http://www.dubstep.com.au - aussie dubstep forums
Stray

Post by Stray »

Stray

Post by Stray »

Bad economy? What bad economy?

Despite terrifying news to the contrary, it appears that the economy (at least in the land of videogames) did quite well for what is typically the biggest shopping month of the year. The industry as a whole grew ten percent over 2007, rising from 2.64 billion in sales to 2.91 billion in total sales for this November. The same goes for videogame hardware sales which were up 10 percent from 1.1 billion to 1.21 billion, as well as videogame software which is up 11 percent from 1.31 billion to 1.45 billion. Add hardware, software and accessories sales together and thus far in 2008 people have spent 22 percent more this year than last, totaling out at 16.04 billion as opposed to 13.14 billion this time last year.

But now for the section that everyone wants to know about: console sales. Here's the breakdown:

PlayStation 2 – 206K
PlayStation 3 – 378K
PSP – 421K
Xbox 360 – 836K
Wii – 2.04 Million
Nintendo DS – 1.57 Million

The biggest surprise in all those statistics is that Xbox 360 more than doubled the sales of PlayStation 3, despite both systems seeing monster titles release this past month. Of course, looking at the software breakdown reveals the reason why. Here are the top 10 selling videogames for the month of November 2008:

1. Gears of War 2 - Xbox 360
2. Call of Duty: World at War - Xbox 360
3. Wii Play w/Remote - Wii
4. Wii Fit - Wii
5. Mario Kart - Wii
6. Call of Duty: World at War - PS3
7. Guitar Hero World Tour - PS3
8. Left 4 Dead - Xbox 360
9. Resistance 2 - PS3
10. Wii Music - Wii
huge
old boy

Post by huge »

of the 10mins ive played of wii music, i would have to say its one of the stupidest games ever. lol wtf.
Stray

Post by Stray »

huge wrote:of the 10mins ive played of wii music, i would have to say its one of the stupidest games ever. lol wtf.
The TV ad makes me so not want to play it.
huge
old boy

Post by huge »

i downloaded it cos it was only 500meg and to test out the gamma loader.

lol it is as bad as the tv ad looks.

be good for kids tho. just shake the shit out of the controllers and omg you're playing music!
Hardy

Post by Hardy »

huge wrote:of the 10mins ive played of wii, i would have to say its one of the stupidest consoles ever. lol wtf.
Fixed.
Stray

Post by Stray »

Hardy wrote:
huge wrote:of the 10mins ive played of wii, i would have to say its one of the stupidest consoles ever. lol wtf.
Fixed.
lolz
Hardy

Post by Hardy »

Has anyone played the Princes of Persias yet?
skiba

Post by skiba »

FunkyJ wrote:I know I won't be getting a PS3 anytime soon, even if they bring out a game that gives you headjobs whilst simulating the effects of candyflipping...
lolz i would buy that =p
Hardy

Post by Hardy »

I bought Prince of Persia on saturday. The game looks brilliant and handles well, but there's one small issue: It's repetetive and boring as fuck. Major Assassins Creed syndrome.

Also got Far Cry 2 (thanks Ollie! :love: ) which is pretty cool so far.
huge
old boy

Post by huge »

fucken far cry 2 is epicly long lol. been playing it since it came out and only just hit 85% complete!
mecka

Post by mecka »

fucks sake hugh buy my 360.
Stray

Post by Stray »

Have been playing Deadspace. Is pretty much just Bio-shock in space. Is starting to suffer from the same repetition.
Hardy

Post by Hardy »

Stray wrote:Have been playing Deadspace. Is pretty much just Bio-shock in space. Is starting to suffer from the same repetition.
You what!?! It's nothing like Bioshock!
Stray

Post by Stray »

- You have someone telling you what to do who is located somewhere else.
- You can go back and forth between levels but there is no real need to
- It pretends to be open but it's very linear.
- You collect items and buy things through a terminal
- You can upgrade your abilities through a different terminal
- You have different abilities and weapons but you only ever use the same ones.

There aren't any big daddies or little sisters but apart from that it's exactly the same.
Hardy

Post by Hardy »

Man, you're stretching. Can't you just agree with me?
Stray

Post by Stray »

Hardy wrote:Man, you're stretching. Can't you just agree with me?
lol, no.
huge
old boy

Post by huge »

mecka wrote:fucks sake hugh buy my 360.
$175 and a kiss on the cheek
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

so which 360 games are good?
mrj

Post by mrj »

imo

good

Bioshock
Oblivion
Fallout 3
Call of Duty 3
GTA IV
Lego Star Wars I & II

ghey

Call of Duty 4
Fable 2
Gears of War
Lego Indiana Jones
Mass Effect
Might & Magic
He's climbing in your windows, he's snatching your people up.
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

cheers :) already got bioshock, gta4 and viva piñata from some mates.
huge
old boy

Post by huge »

CoD4 is awesome on the pc mrj.
Stray

Post by Stray »

CoD4 is awesome on the 360.. best multiplayer.. well it was until left 4 dead
Stray

Post by Stray »

GTA IV - The Lost and Damned

Watch the posted video on YouTube.

Stray

Post by Stray »

iinet - connect better - XboxLive

In partnership with Xbox, iiNet is now offering unmetered Xbox Live content on all iiNet broadband plans. This means you can play as long as you like without it coming off your download quota.

All iiNet broadband plans come with:

* No excess download charges
* 10 free email addresses and 1GB web space
* special 'Gamer' profile (for reduced lag)
* Plus sign up to Naked DSL and receive all your local and national calls at no additional cost with zero monthly line rental

Switch to iiNet before 31 December 2008 and you'll receive a 24 month Xbox LIVE Gold subscription valued at $159.95. If you're already a subscriber, you can add the 24 months to your current subscription to keep you gaming even longer.
To sign up to iiNet today visit http://iinet.net.au/xbox

Sweet, I'm already with iinet :D