Teh Large Hadron Collider - Results?

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
C.I.A.

Re: Teh Large Hadron Collider - Results?

Post by C.I.A. »

DBoy wrote:
mrj wrote:awesome, if life is becoming like a film i can't wait for the weekend.

first thing im gonna do is i'm gonna quit my burger flipping job for an entry level mail room job in a stock broking firm and then accidently run into a hot bird in the corridor who is totally into me but turns out to be the bosses daughter and then get promoted at work because her dad gives her anything she wants only to find out I have super powers and am the most special person in the world but find that with that power comes great responsibility, and then become a cop and then nearly be retired and visit several strip clubs during a murder investigation before waking up one day to find I’m trapped inside a dogs body/I’m young again/I’ve become an alien/lesbian/thespian and falling in love with a girl before we are tragically separated by a natural disaster/fate/her love of race hate and I get put in jail for a crime I didn’t commit and I get released and then Richard gere realises I actually did do it and then he forgets about it and picks me up in his friends lotus whilst im working the street in la and he takes me to polo or lacrosse or something and then he plays me like a piano.
fixed.
:smt005
I wanted to be a hero. I wanted to be the center of attention. I wanted the glory, I wanted the fame. I wanted the pretty girls to come up and say, "Hi, I see that you're good at Centipede."
Lephrenic

Post by Lephrenic »

A very good interview with Carver Mead of Intel on the wave structure of matter.
At the heart of laser action is perfect alignment of the crests and troughs of myriad waves of light. Their location and momentum must be theoretically knowable. But this violates the holiest canon of Copenhagen theory: Heisenberg Uncertainty. Bohr and Von Neumann proved to be true believers in Heisenberg’s rule. Both denied that the laser was possible. When Townes showed them one in operation, they retreated artfully.
apophenian

Post by apophenian »

Interesting stuff Leigh, though I am still a bit dubious. I just in fact finished reading this book Quantum about the intellectual battles between Einstein/Schroedinger vs Bohr et al.

Will be interesting to see if anything comes from WSM
Lephrenic

Post by Lephrenic »

Dubiousness is healthy. Still, the whole idea of WSM is that it can resolve precisely those debates and provide one model of physics that is consistent at all levels.

As an aside, WSM would probably mean there can be no extra dimensions, no wormholes and no time machines. I can hear sci-fi nerds crying already.

Meanwhile...

http://www.bet-on-the-higgs.com/
mrj

Post by mrj »

fixed
He's climbing in your windows, he's snatching your people up.
Lephrenic

Post by Lephrenic »

Sounds like Slogan Maker.

You can always bet on the Heggs.
apophenian

Post by apophenian »

Heggsactly
Amick

Post by Amick »

Heggscellent?

Lephrenic

Post by Lephrenic »

Natch.