Pope John Paul II

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
DBoy

Pope John Paul II

Post by DBoy »

Got to say, this is a unique moment in our lifetimes. Despite peoples religions, faith, background or knowledge on the subject it is impressive and humbling to see so many people care so much about a person that represents something outside of material needs and science.

Can anyone think of an event that compares?
stovequeen

Re: Pope John Paul II

Post by stovequeen »

DBoy wrote:Got to say, this is a unique moment in our lifetimes. Despite peoples religions, faith, background or knowledge on the subject it is impressive and humbling to see so many people care so much about a person that represents something outside of material needs and science.

not that i cared.. but Lady Di's death was pretty big :shock:
Rob M

Post by Rob M »

Pish posh, I still have no respect for the institution that confounds itself in hypocrisy. But I do respect the man for his journey. he was really the peoples man, so i don't see why he shouldn't get all the recognition he deserves. he gave his all even to his dying hours.

If only the virtues of 1 man could be disseminated to others in his institution, I think my faith would be stronger.

This I know for sure. The vatican will have troubles trying to emulate a figure of his stature. But isn't it freaky all the world-wide deaths that are currently occuring at the same time considering how each death has been a social impact in some way in our history and possible future.
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

and there is an eclipse on the day of his funeral, as there was on the day Jesus was hung up on the cross.

theoriest unite on that one.

Despite the institution, and the whole religion or church thing this seems to have brought people together, in spite of their problems with the institution. I can not remember an individual that had an impact on the world in this particalar way, since the rise of globalised media etc.

Di does not compare to me, although she had her do good side, she still represented something similar to a celebrity.

it is all very interesting though.
lynt

Post by lynt »

DBoy wrote:Got to say, this is a unique moment in our lifetimes. Despite peoples religions, faith, background or knowledge on the subject it is impressive and humbling to see so many people care so much about a person that represents something outside of material needs and science.

Michael Jackson going to trial.
tripongale

popey carcs it

Post by tripongale »

remember he was the guy who stopped condoms in africa, abortions everywhere and who knows wot else a popstar for the fuct and oldies .
definately think we should keep all religions out of this site
spazz

Post by spazz »

I agree with that - the problem with religion is that it becomes organised. Everyones religion is their own spirituality and beliefs.

Personally I am a bit over the whole pope thing.......
Ag3nT[]0raNg3
old boy

Post by Ag3nT[]0raNg3 »

when i stepped outside my office for lunch today a rather large crowd gathered around me and basked in my glory.
tripongale

popes carcas

Post by tripongale »

its syill not over he' not in da ground yet
DBoy

Re: popey carcs it

Post by DBoy »

tripongale wrote:remember he was the guy who stopped condoms in africa, abortions everywhere and who knows wot else a popstar for the fuct and oldies .
definately think we should keep all religions out of this site
good idea. Was more interested in the interest in the death of an individual than the church biz.
tripongale

ded popey

Post by tripongale »

with ya 100000% the guy was a true popstar and we all know you dont have to be good to be that he even made and sold, yeahsold millions of cd's
B0mBjAcK

Post by B0mBjAcK »

':smt022' NOT! I'm so over it, tho I wish he was still alive we heard less about him when he was alive! Yes im a fucking athiest! Yeah I hate religion too I don't need some one or a group or organisation to tell me how to be a good person or how to live my life what to do what to beleive what not to belive etc...

I know lets make a new reality TV show called 'Pop Star Pope' to see who will be the next pope! It's bound to be a smash hit!
That's so plausible I can't believe it!
XVi32 - It's a blog
Kulture - Melbourne Jungle/D&B blog
Melbourne D&B - Melbourne D&B Forum
Mellogs

Post by Mellogs »

He was a symbol of light and hope to people all over the world.

Why the angst and need to dishonor that?

I personally find it poor taste to discuss religious beliefs with other people, so I will leave it at that.
Ag3nT[]0raNg3
old boy

Post by Ag3nT[]0raNg3 »

Mellogs wrote:He was a symbol of light and hope to people all over the world.

Why the angst and need to dishonor that?

I personally find it poor taste to discuss religious beliefs with other people, so I will leave it at that.
i tottally agree dude.
from andycole23_steve
ADD_Boy
like a tiger

Post by ADD_Boy »

Ag3nT[]0raNg3 wrote:when i stepped outside my office for lunch today a rather large crowd gathered around me and basked in my glory.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
PUCK YOU MISS ~~!
almax

Post by almax »

didn't NOStrodamus predict that the fall of this pope would start the end of the world
me thinks NOStrodamus should have another bulb :roll:
on tour

Post by on tour »

There is talk here that they will bury HIS HEART in Poland... Shit you not.
I reckon Woz should eat during some ceremony...
Bad taste i know...
Rob M

Post by Rob M »

on tour wrote:There is talk here that they will bury HIS HEART in Poland... Shit you not.
So it's ok for Pharlap [er, the horse..], but not a human :P

I'd do what the egyptians did. Jetisan my preserved organs in tiny capsules into space. then hopefully I will seed a desolate planet, and bring the emergence of new life on an otherwise dull universe.

/yes i know they didn't do this. but is there evidence to show they never did. and do you have evidence to suggest i am talking shit ;)

I will name them Roblians. And I will be their god.
lynt

Post by lynt »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

Cheap Car For Sale......

:lol:

my opinions on the Pope are unpopular ones
I think I am, Therefore I am. I think
shepherd

Post by shepherd »

DBoy wrote:
john paul young quitting popstars last year was pretty massive.
sneaky hands

Post by sneaky hands »

i think his death is such a huge issue because he was a very influential political figure, for most of the 20th century. the religious side of it doesnt mean that much..except to the millions of catholics.
sneaky flow like cash flow
on the first of the month
for broke cats that's thirst for the blunt
obliveus

Post by obliveus »

shepherd wrote:
DBoy wrote:
john paul young quitting popstars last year was pretty massive.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Who's john paul young?

:wink:
Hardy

Post by Hardy »

I'm actually pretty upset that the Pope is dead. Had he died on May 5th, I would have one a $10 bet with my old man. Now I gotta pay up.

But in reality, Catholicism is evil on par with Satanism, so I don't really care. Sorry to any Catholics out there. I'm not sorry that I offended you, i'm just sorry you're Catholic.
sneaky hands

Post by sneaky hands »

dont believe the hype...satanism is not evil.

buying into that means youre buying into christian rhetoric.
Hardy

Post by Hardy »

sneaky hands wrote:dont believe the hype...satanism is not evil.

buying into that means youre buying into christian rhetoric.
It's all evil. At least the Devil comes clean about it.
sneaky hands

Post by sneaky hands »

thats the point, satanism is not necessarily devil worshipping, and "satan" is not necessarily evil.

whereas fucking catholics*...

*sarcasm
Amick

Post by Amick »

I'm sorry to those who the Pope meant a lot to them. Especially the Polish because they really did look up to him (Catholic & non-Catholic). He was suffering during the later years of his life, that has now come to an end which is good.

Whether you hate/disbelieve the Roman Catholic Church I think the Pope as the man he was did a lot of good for the people (in general).

R.I.P Pope John Paul II/Karol Wojtyla.
Mellogs

Post by Mellogs »

Hardy wrote:I'm actually pretty upset that the Pope is dead. Had he died on May 5th, I would have one a $10 bet with my old man. Now I gotta pay up.

But in reality, Catholicism is evil on par with Satanism, so I don't really care. Sorry to any Catholics out there. I'm not sorry that I offended you, i'm just sorry you're Catholic.
Thats sad...

So then what are you thoughts on people who take up 'trendy' religions like Budhism and Kabbalah???

I'm sure nobody is going to start bagging the fuck out of the Dali Lama!

edit: please note, im not referring to ALL people that take up relgions as stated, just to those that exploit them..
Rob M

Post by Rob M »

Religion shouldn't be an outlet for constructing your life and giving it purpose. It's the service you give of yourself that is enough of a measure to identify who you are and what your place is.
nosis

Post by nosis »

Mellogs wrote: I'm sure nobody is going to start bagging the fuck out of the Dali Lama!
Good point girl...

I think its kinda lame for people to knowlingly bag out the beliefs of others on the site after they've openly expressed their feelings on the matter. I'm all for jokes and playfulness but using harsh words and jokes to make fun of someones beliefs after they've already shown that its upsetting them is just rude. Shouldnt be happening in this place.

Is it more important to you to sound all cool and anti-establishment, or to treat another persons beliefs with some respect?

*And no, i am not religious in any way, shape or form.
ADD_Boy
like a tiger

Post by ADD_Boy »

nosis wrote:
Mellogs wrote: I'm sure nobody is going to start bagging the fuck out of the Dali Lama!
Good point girl...

I think its kinda lame for people to knowlingly bag out the beliefs of others on the site after they've openly expressed their feelings on the matter. I'm all for jokes and playfulness but using harsh words and jokes to make fun of someones beliefs after they've already shown that its upsetting them is just rude. Shouldnt be happening in this place.

Is it more important to you to sound all cool and anti-establishment, or to treat another persons beliefs with some respect?

*And no, i am not religious in any way, shape or form.
Good call!!
PUCK YOU MISS ~~!
Kirts

Post by Kirts »

mixtress

Post by mixtress »

Hey man, religion's not something to get upset about - mellow out y'all. I mean, no one's died upholding a belief. Sheesh!! :roll:
Only the meek get pinched...the bold survive
nosis

Post by nosis »

Kirts wrote:Image
Hehe.. thats a great picture =)
wasp

Post by wasp »

....oh dear....... oh dear, oh dear, oh dear, oh dear, oh dear....
I'm not going to bore u with my opinion of the man or what he represented, but please lets not get caught up in such fuckin bollocks.... to me the cancellation of the simpsons holds more relevance.......
ADD_Boy
like a tiger

Post by ADD_Boy »

wasp wrote:

....oh dear....... oh dear, oh dear, oh dear, oh dear, oh dear....
I'm not going to bore u with my opinion of the man or what he represented, but please lets not get caught up in such fuckin bollocks.... to me the cancellation of the simpsons holds more relevance.......
I'll second that !!! :P
PUCK YOU MISS ~~!
spazz

Post by spazz »

Fight fire with fire and bag people back......where do you draw the line with political correctness.....

If you feel strongly about the pope...ie thinks its sad or think its all bollocks, then so be it. Personal belief.

But a set of moral beliefs for the masses that were founded 2000 odd years ago..is a little regressive to adhere to - IMO

All organised religions are founded on the blood of non-believers yet preach love thy neighbour.........what a joke.

I think human beings are no longer scared of the world around them and do not need to believe in something bigger then themselves anymore.

Man is God!

Evolution baby! 8)
Trailer_trash

Post by Trailer_trash »

...atleast the Pope's passing has taken the focus away from this creepy turn of events....

Charlie don't surf!!
B0mBjAcK

Post by B0mBjAcK »

Hardy wrote:Sorry to any Catholics out there. I'm not sorry that I offended you, i'm just sorry you're Catholic.
LOL you like Bill Hicks too? I'm listening to him now 'Bill Hicks rant in e-minor' :lol:
That's so plausible I can't believe it!
XVi32 - It's a blog
Kulture - Melbourne Jungle/D&B blog
Melbourne D&B - Melbourne D&B Forum
Ani

Post by Ani »

Trailer_trash wrote:...atleast the Pope's passing has taken the focus away from this creepy turn of events....
the wedding is on 2 channels tonight :evil:

Image:smt072

Again I have no excuse not to do my reading :roll: