Melbourne DnB MC's

This is the forum for all things Melbourne beats. Post your gigs and other Melbourne music related information here. Keep it about the music and music only, please keep on topic.
Cubist

Melbourne DnB MC's

Post by Cubist »

The state of Melbourne DnB MC’s is in a bad way. I mean Wasp is flying the flag and doing a wicked job and has for nearly 10 years now. But over the last five years I haven’t seen any new blood stepping up and making a proper name for themselves. I mean maybe it’s because over the last 5 years MC’s don’t really get booked for partys. Therefore, young kids don’t get the chance to see MC’s at partys. They got nothing to guage off. 5-10 years ago there were more MC’s and good MC’s. I wanna see quality young MC’s. Don’t be put off by people slagging off MC’s. If you wanna MC, practice, get in promoters ears and get on the mic at smaller nights and work yourselves up. Melbourne DnB needs better MC’s.
*catalyst

Re: Melbourne DnB MC's

Post by *catalyst »

Is it 'Sed MC' that has been doing stuff with Breaks crew? He's good.
"Anybody want some motherfucking Earl Grey?" -Cleveland
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Good on ya Mr. Cubist!
DEAN G

Post by DEAN G »

he, get skillz out of retirement.
aroes

Post by aroes »

Tunes coming out over the last couple of years might have something to do with it
The new guard, guys like lynx, perez, d bridge, instra:mental, icicle etc etc............they write a way more minimal style than was coming out previously
A good mc fits in really well over jump up/old jungle and even darkside stuff (when it's done tastefully)
Cutting edge dnb thats coming out lately sounds wack with a rapid fire mc spitting incessantly over the top
The only one i've heard even come close to nailing it is SP
I could be wrong, just my two cents
deviant

Post by deviant »

*catalyst wrote:Is it 'Sed MC' that has been doing stuff with Breaks crew? He's good.
I've DJ'ed with Sed MC..... he kills it.
Flash

Post by Flash »

Mcing isnt too crash hot atm probably because the amount of people playing/listening to jump up dnb in melbourne has reduced.
Its one of the only sorts of dnb that really needs Mcing to make it a complete experience i reckon.
Big ups cubist for keeping the sound alive and healthy.
other sub genres of dnb don't seem to need mcing as the tunes are whole enough by themselves imho.
grooki

Post by grooki »

I certainly am not missing any mcs, I find they generally detract from whatever is being played. A ragga style mc on jungle is aight, but usually they disturb the build ups and the movment
http://www.soundcloud.com/grooki

Poised above the void on a cloud of dreams, Everything I grasp is sand through my hands
Blaxter

Post by Blaxter »

Jump up and yell into the mike yourself.
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

-aroes- wrote:Tunes coming out over the last couple of years might have something to do with it
The new guard, guys like lynx, perez, d bridge, instra:mental, icicle etc etc............they write a way more minimal style than was coming out previously
A good mc fits in really well over jump up/old jungle and even darkside stuff (when it's done tastefully)
Cutting edge dnb thats coming out lately sounds wack with a rapid fire mc spitting incessantly over the top
The only one i've heard even come close to nailing it is SP
I could be wrong, just my two cents
Not everyone spits at 180bpm, the 'intelligent' half-pace dudes sound sweet to a more minimal backing IMO... ala SP.

TBH: MC's get the rough end of the stick, always have. They get fuck all gigs (generally), and when they do they always get bottom billing, more often than not they get atrocious pay (half of the DJ's isn't unusual - particularly in DNB) and cop a fair bit of flack.

Mind you, this is a generalisation - based upon my experiece. I'm not commenting on 'Wobble', as they seem to be very pro-MC. Bigups.
Blush

Post by Blush »

Direktor wrote: Not everyone spits at 180bpm, the 'intelligent' half-pace dudes sound sweet to a more minimal backing IMO... ala SP.
Or Lowqui :D So true. A good MC also makes a night of tunes a party, makes the harder music accessible to someone that might not otherwise get into it, and hides a rubbish/drunk DJ ... All music at all parties can benefit from a good MC I reckon..and suffer from a bad one.
Last edited by Blush on Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Professional Gift

Direkt

Post by Direkt »

With ya 110% there Blush.

A good MC can make a party, and a bad MC can ruin it...

Unfortunately a bunch of bad MC's have given the 'art' a bad name over the years... resulting in a lot of people generally hating and hating on MC's. Not saying that it's for everyone, just that there's been some tainting of the image. Even a lot of the internatty MC's are quite ordinary IMO.

Locals that I've dug over the years: Wasp, MCD, Brake and the Bass Addicts (Wasp and Sponk) were always tight when paired together. Rhyno was pretty sweet also.
same o
peteybear™

Post by same o »

a good mc makes are party so much better.

just look at people like, conrad, drs, lowqui, mighty mo and even melbourne's own dub fx.
FRAKSHA...

Post by FRAKSHA... »

its one of the reasons i aint really into going to dnb things as much in Melbourne 'cos i get a bit bored of instrumental music pretty quickly, just a personal opinion, just makes the party for me when you got some hype mc going on...used to love shockin out back home with mans like Shabba, Det, Riddla, Eksman etc...any of them 4 ever been over here?
Blaxter

Post by Blaxter »

Direktor wrote:With ya 110% there Blush.

Unfortunately a bunch of bad MC's have given the 'art' a bad name over the years... resulting in a lot of people generally hating and hating on MC's. Not saying that it's for everyone, just that there's been some tainting of the image. Even a lot of the internatty MC's are quite ordinary IMO.

Locals that I've dug over the years: Wasp, MCD, Brake and the Bass Addicts (Wasp and Sponk) were always tight when paired together. Rhyno was pretty sweet also.
Rhyno has gone to prove himself to be extrordinary. True Live are one the country's best live Hop Hop acts.
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

FRAKSHA... wrote:its one of the reasons i aint really into going to dnb things as much in Melbourne 'cos i get a bit bored of instrumental music pretty quickly, just a personal opinion, just makes the party for me when you got some hype mc going on...used to love shockin out back home with mans like Shabba, Det, Riddla, Eksman etc...any of them 4 ever been over here?
Not that I'm aware of mate...

My faves from your homeland: Fearless, SP, Conrad, DRS, Skibba (in moderation), and Trip's alright.
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Blaxter wrote:
Direktor wrote:With ya 110% there Blush.

Rhyno has gone to prove himself to be extrordinary. True Live are one the country's best live Hop Hop acts.
Certainly has. Great act. Good musical background that lad.
FRAKSHA...

Post by FRAKSHA... »

Direktor wrote:
FRAKSHA... wrote:its one of the reasons i aint really into going to dnb things as much in Melbourne 'cos i get a bit bored of instrumental music pretty quickly, just a personal opinion, just makes the party for me when you got some hype mc going on...used to love shockin out back home with mans like Shabba, Det, Riddla, Eksman etc...any of them 4 ever been over here?
Not that I'm aware of mate...

My faves from your homeland: Fearless, SP, Conrad, DRS, Skibba (in moderation), and Trip's alright.
Yeah Fearless and DRS are heavy, know what you saying about Skibba, he's much better going back to back with Dett or Shabba i reckon...he needs to lay off the bait hip hop he's been doing too!
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

For sure.

...oh, and I forgot, Dynamite... good party MC IMO.
aroes

Post by aroes »

mcing over dnb is subjective
i've been to gigs with drs and stamina toasting and thought it was awesome
then i've heard recorded mixes with the same mc's and just wanted them to shut up
regardless though, melbs needs some up and coming mc's
thats all
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Pretty standard about the live Vs recorded experience.

It's hard to capture vibe and atmosphere on a recording.
same o
peteybear™

Post by same o »

shabba has been here, him and mikey fin.

me and steve sat behinde the decks and rolled splif after splif after splif.

for me tho it's all about garage mc's sooooo much better than dnb mc's imo.
ctoafn_DMZ

Post by ctoafn_DMZ »

I think the MC has to fit the music. A lot of the beats these days dont fit well with MCs.

On the flip side, you can get a crowd going with some bad ass tunes but the same bad ass tunes with an MC hyping it up will make a club go twice as hard. Always works more for party dnb over the dark stuff i find.

Wasp & Sponk did well because they worked their asses off playing gigs for little money and not going overboard. They played with breaks as well and pad their dues.

As a promoter, I get hit by DJ's all teh time wantign to drop demos, but never had an MC do it (one guy did but he was totalling shit and tried freestyling to me on the spot which was very tragic). Hit the smaller gigs, bring your crew down, practice and then hit promoters up for bigger gigs as you get more skilled at it.

Promoters arent gunna chase you down unless your already showing mad skills and paying your dues.

Nice subject Eden.
spin

Post by spin »

heres a link from lowqui... badness

Also not sure if you have heard this set, it's skream & myself at melt festival germany...

http://rs34.rapidshare.com/files/139553 ... STIVAL.rar
ANYTHING:TEST
BOB DEEP
WOBBLE
REVOLVER
BLACK CAT
http://gutterhype.blogspot.com/
Keir
PLUS:ONE

Post by Keir »

a good MC is irreplaceable in my eye's

It's a pity there isn't more growth amongst them in Melbourne (within Drum&Bass).
FORWARD FOCUS PRESENTED BY KEIR. SUNDAY NIGHT'S 9-1030PM :: KISS FM
LISTEN LIVE FROM 87.6, 87.8, 88.0 or STREAM LIVE FROM KISSFM.COM.AU -> DOWNLOAD THE KISSFM iPHONE APP HERE
FACEBOOK || MYSPACE
Blush

Post by Blush »

Well stand by for their number to increase by 1 :lol:
Professional Gift

fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

-aroes- wrote:mcing over dnb is subjective
myspace / too much! / photos (flickr) / photos (tumblr)
aroes wrote:promising, but lost me at offensive mid range snarl
deviant

Post by deviant »

I have a hard time getting a "general" club crowd into dubstep for example. I reckon a good MC would nail it imo.
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

I think Dan Sponk is a big dubstep fan.

Most likely a well suited genre to MC'ing in general.... good tempo, plenty of space etc.
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

Direktor wrote:I think Dan Sponk is a big dubstep fan.

Most likely a well suited genre to MC'ing in general.... good tempo, plenty of space etc.
sgt pokes is an amazing host ... but hosting isn't mcing.
myspace / too much! / photos (flickr) / photos (tumblr)
aroes wrote:promising, but lost me at offensive mid range snarl
spin

Post by spin »

sponk is very good, not sure why he only plays club gigs... melbourne dnb is a hard nut to crack.
ANYTHING:TEST
BOB DEEP
WOBBLE
REVOLVER
BLACK CAT
http://gutterhype.blogspot.com/
same o
peteybear™

Post by same o »

fooishbar wrote:

imo pokes is a little overated, however i aint seen him live.

all about mighty mo, skepta, nomad and g double for dubstep mc's
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

What do you mean by only club gigs?
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

ctoafn_DMZ wrote: As a promoter, I get hit by DJ's all teh time wantign to drop demos, but never had an MC do it (
Freestyle MC's very rarely come across anywhere near as good on a recorded medium, compared to live.

Same as live scratch routines... check DMC comp MP3's for example.

And it's not the same freestyling in your bedroom over some beats and then recording it, as it is to performing live. And I'm talking about feeding off the crowd more so than nerves/pressure... studio environments are too sterile, more suited to written lyrics IMO.

Although sure, you'd at least get a better picture of their skills with a recording...
deviant

Post by deviant »

spin wrote:skream & myself at melt festival germany...

wah? :shock:
mrj

Post by mrj »

i can't think of a single time that I have thought that a D&B MC has added anything to the experience.
He's climbing in your windows, he's snatching your people up.
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

^ how many have you seen?
same o
peteybear™

Post by same o »

cuz i'm a rapper
dapper
slapper microphone attacka
computer hacka
ADD_Boy
like a tiger

Post by ADD_Boy »

mrj wrote:i can't think of a single time that I have thought that a D&B MC has added anything to the experience.
I'll second that !!

In fact the only MC experience i dig is the dude on Stantons sessions 1.. Nice minimal, no screaming, no shouting over the tunes etc etc...
PUCK YOU MISS ~~!
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

...and people wonder why there's not too many people picking up the mic for DNB...
ctoafn_DMZ

Post by ctoafn_DMZ »

Direktor wrote:
ctoafn_DMZ wrote: As a promoter, I get hit by DJ's all teh time wantign to drop demos, but never had an MC do it (
Freestyle MC's very rarely come across anywhere near as good on a recorded medium, compared to live.

Same as live scratch routines... check DMC comp MP3's for example.

And it's not the same freestyling in your bedroom over some beats and then recording it, as it is to performing live. And I'm talking about feeding off the crowd more so than nerves/pressure... studio environments are too sterile, more suited to written lyrics IMO.

Although sure, you'd at least get a better picture of their skills with a recording...
It was more of a drunken semi audition - pretty funny...............and pretty crap.
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

:lol: I bet.
Scotrod

Post by Scotrod »

If I listen to an old Bukem progression session CD. The "instrumental" Cd (no Conrad) puts me to sleep. But quite often I'll listen to a D&B podcast with MC's and think "mate...WILL YOU SHUT UP!!!!"
MCing is just like scratching, it's a balance of hyping up the crowd but still sounding like it's part of the record.
FRAKSHA...

Post by FRAKSHA... »

sAme'0 wrote:
shabba has been here, him and mikey fin.

me and steve sat behinde the decks and rolled splif after splif after splif.

for me tho it's all about garage mc's sooooo much better than dnb mc's imo.
Shabba and Mickey Finn, perfect combo, must have seen them like 100 times i swear!

sAme'0 wrote:
fooishbar wrote:

imo pokes is a little overated, however i aint seen him live.

all about mighty mo, skepta, nomad and g double for dubstep mc's
Yeah man Might Mo is too much, if someone brought Heartless Crew over here i'd lose it! No one smashes a dance like Heartless!!!
Foreign Fanny Flaps

Post by Foreign Fanny Flaps »

Hello, I agree... so lets step up Melbourne. I like the MC's to compliment the Dj and hype up the crowd. WASP + HARZEE are good examples so get down and support the local nights (New Grounds + Wobble). If you think you can step up ( or your a big African American with a deep voice) come down and don't be shy. If your shit we will tell you.. Joking, ill text you :lol:
eN

Post by eN »

Foreign Fanny Flaps wrote:Hello, I agree... so lets step up Melbourne. I like the MC's to compliment the Dj and hype up the crowd. WASP + HARZEE are good examples so get down and support the local nights (New Grounds + Wobble). If you think you can step up ( or your a big African American with a deep voice) come down and don't be shy. If your shit we will tell you.. Joking, ill text you :lol:

hahaha nice to see you've finally accepted your new dj name.
tee193

Post by tee193 »

FRAKSHA... wrote:
sAme'0 wrote:
FRAKSHA... wrote:
Yeah man Might Mo is too much, if someone brought Heartless Crew over here i'd lose it! No one smashes a dance like Heartless!!!
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=Dm7Qe28ZBRg
out to maaa sexy ladies! ahhaa heartless would be the illest
FoundationStepper

Post by FoundationStepper »

We need toecutter to move down to melbourne
same o
peteybear™

Post by same o »

FRAKSHA... wrote: Yeah man Might Mo is too much, if someone brought Heartless Crew over here i'd lose it! No one smashes a dance like Heartless!!!
dont think they would get a crowd really. garage unfortunatley was never really big here.

god they would smash it tho. really wanna catch em when i go to uk next year
ctoafn_DMZ

Post by ctoafn_DMZ »

sAme'0 wrote: dont think they would get a crowd really. garage unfortunatley was never really big here.
Pete - You're you forgetting something??? You seem to have forgotten how undeniably gay Garage is :smt005