The running thread

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
JAMESSSS

The running thread

Post by JAMESSSS »

So I have discovered I like to run recently. Which is actually kinda weird as I thought I hated it for the last ten years, but it turned out that I had actually been having dreams about running slowly which I was confusing with reality. True story.

Anyway, where do people run? I do Yarra Bend, but am on the lookout for more places.

Your thoughts?
Don't hate me for house
aroes

Re: The running thread

Post by aroes »

running rules.......cheapest way to keep fit, all you need is some shoes and a pair of shorts

i run 5km 3-6 times p/w. the same circuit every time, in dandenong. those crazy streets
mecka

Post by mecka »

It's pretty useful. I would miss trams all the time if I couldn't run.
almax

Post by almax »

aroes wrote: i run 5km 3-6 times p/w. the same circuit every time, in dandenong. those crazy streets
is that planned, or do you just get mugged on your way home from work?

:teef:
aroes

Post by aroes »

bahahahahaha
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

I run. but I has metal ankle so not on roads.
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

I don't really like running on streets, too much stop / start and car nuisance.
Don't hate me for house
mrj

Post by mrj »

I've started running a lot more over the past year and a half. Had to stop late last year due to back injury but am about to start again this week (tomorrow actually).

I sometimes cheat quite a bit and just do treadmill action, and this prolly will be the case again in the short term so I don't immediately re-injure my back - Id much rather wait 3-4 months and THEN re-injure it. LOL.

For outside running I usually do princess park.

For all the runners out there who also own a first gen 1 gig Ipod, I just bought a pair of these and they are easily the maddest running headphones in the world.

http://www.monstercable.com/productdisplay.asp?pin=4449
He's climbing in your windows, he's snatching your people up.
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

Ooooh. Princess park eh.

I don't really like running with music. One of the reasons I like it so much is that it is good thinking time.

Also I always piss myself off by trying to sync my feet up to the drums when running, which annoys me no end.
Don't hate me for house
almax

Post by almax »

JAMESSSS wrote:Ooooh. Princess park eh.

I don't really like running with music. One of the reasons I like it so much is that it is good thinking time.

Also I always piss myself off by trying to sync my feet up to the drums when running, which annoys me no end.
do you try not to step on the cracks in the pavement too? one step in each bit o pavement, then big leap in driveway ones lol
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

Well I don't want to marry a rat!
Don't hate me for house
mrj

Post by mrj »

lol James
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

where in yarra bend do you run & how long is it?
myspace / too much! / photos (flickr) / photos (tumblr)
aroes wrote:promising, but lost me at offensive mid range snarl
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

Last night I ran from our house (near your old house) over to Wellington, up to Gipps, across to the river, across the bridge, up the hill, up past the motorway turnoff, through the tunnel, down toward the Boat House, across the bridge, up past the cricket ground and gold course, follow the river to Dights Falls then keep going up to Heidelberg road, come back to Dights Falls on the other side of the river then round Collingwood Children's Farm and back to to the bridge off the end of Gipps St then home via the same route.

Just shy of 15km I think?

I normally do about 10 though, which is the same minus the Heidelberg road bit.
Don't hate me for house
deviant

Post by deviant »

how long does 10km take you? roughly?
quiet roar

Post by quiet roar »

Impressive Jamesss! I don't think I would make 400 metres before having to stop and walk.
The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

50 mins or something Dan?

We don't go all out, just cruise.
Don't hate me for house
Lil MiSbreaks

Post by Lil MiSbreaks »

mrj wrote: For all the runners out there who also own a first gen 1 gig Ipod, I just bought a pair of these and they are easily the maddest running headphones in the world. http://www.monstercable.com/productdisplay.asp?pin=4449
Oh YEAH!! And totally ARE the coolest headphones ever!

I want.....
youthful_implants

Post by youthful_implants »

I want to start running.

And swinging.

Both definitely on the agenda.
Strontium Music

SOUNDCLOUD | FACEBOOK | TWITTER | TUMBLR
Lil MiSbreaks

Post by Lil MiSbreaks »

:lol:

I asked my chiro the other day if he ran and his reply:

I know better..... :lol:
deviant

Post by deviant »

swimming ftw imo
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

however i was told by my osteo that i am not allowed to do breaststroke anymore as its fucking my neck up.
some days i was almost doing a km.

so, freestyle or bust it seems.
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

We will have no talk of running being bad until I break myself or get over this fad.
Don't hate me for house
almax

Post by almax »

i seem to get shin splints when i run, whats the preventative measure for this?
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

No you don't, you are fine.
Don't hate me for house
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

:lol:

run faster!
retzie

Post by retzie »

I also used to hate running, but I think that was from always being forced to run laps. It is now my exercise of choice :)

In Melbs, I used to run around Princes Park. It got a bit boring just doing laps, but it was convenient, not concrete and pretty safe to do at night. I once had a plan to do the Capital City Trail (which it sounds like you're doing a chunk of now) - I think the whole thing is in the region of 20km, so you wouldn't be far off it.

If you don't do major increases, there's no reason to expect injuries. I think it's something like a maximum 10% increase per week. If there is anything bothering you at all, though, the answer is usually to head to a podiatrist.

For all your running-nerd needs, check out http://www.coolrunning.com.au
deviant wrote:how long does 10km take you? roughly?
Takes me about an hour :slow:
deviant wrote:I'm some sort of man-machine.
Lil MiSbreaks

Post by Lil MiSbreaks »

almax wrote:i seem to get shin splints when i run, whats the preventative measure for this?
Same, how much do they hurt. Wish i had mine from too much running!! sif.

There are things you can do for em tho Al, stretching for starters is the most important thing. If you stretch properly, have a proper pair of running shoes (like New Balance or Asics) and run on the ground and grass (not concrete) i think you can be ok.

:lol: @ James.
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

almax wrote:i seem to get shin splints when i run, whats the preventative measure for this?
Sounds like you're doing too much dorsiflexion (?). Bringing toes up towards the shin.

I like to run too, not as much as I used to - coz I'm a little unfit. But I've been doing 5kms 2-3 times per week for the past few months trying to get my cardio back up.

I'm planning to start swimming again also. I used to swim HEAPS... like 10+ sessions per week... back in the days when I was a fit young whipper-snapper.
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

Swimming is also good although last time I went I couldn't see for 6 hours.

Which is bizarre as I used to swim heaps. I think maybe there was heaps of pollen in the pool and that combined with the chlorine made them spazz out.

Non-Pro tip: NEVER EVER EVER EVER use anti histamine eye drops in eyes which have been exposed to chlorine recently.
Don't hate me for house
Amick

Post by Amick »

Not a fan of running, would rather achieve something whilst running like scoring points to win a game. eg. b'ball.

Running on a track for fitness kinda reminds me of driving in cruise control. Maybe some people enjoy cruise control? Meh...
mrj

Post by mrj »

yeh i hear ya on that, but i think that's why running is good, because it's undemanding on your brain and attention, so it gives your mind a lot of space to think about stuff you don't normally. That's why i like it because it lets me process a whole bunch of stuff that i didn't get time to think about, and that combined with the general endorphin effect means that it's probably the best exercise for stress release that I have found. Afterwards my mind is always clear and quiet, which is a nice feeling and one that is all too rare.
almax

Post by almax »

Amick wrote:Not a fan of running, would rather achieve something whilst running like scoring points to win a game. eg. b'ball.

Running on a track for fitness kinda reminds me of driving in cruise control. Maybe some people enjoy cruise control? Meh...

:scr1pt:

i will run, swim and go to the gym, but its generally to achieve a greater level of fitness so i can perform better in my sporting activities (B'ball and kiteboarding)
Hardy

Post by Hardy »

Running is for faggots.
retzie

Post by retzie »

mrj wrote:That's why i like it because it lets me process a whole bunch of stuff that i didn't get time to think about, and that combined with the general endorphin effect means that it's probably the best exercise for stress release that I have found.
:scr1pt:

What got me through the last of my stupid phd, let me show you. Mind you, it ended up with me running a lot more than I probably should have :lol:

When I was supposed to be running for sport fitness, I fucken hated it, avoided it and did it badly. Once it became a means unto itself, everything changed completely. It is not a 'sport' mindset - I actually find it very meditative/relaxing (once you get your fitness up a bit). I can actually think effectively about maths research stuff while running, but the physical exertion keeps the chatter down (which I find, say, a bike ride doesn't). That's not to say it's everyone's bag - it's just not necessarily what you'd think.
deviant wrote:I'm some sort of man-machine.
C.I.A.

Post by C.I.A. »

JAMESSSS wrote:So I have discovered I like to run recently. Which is actually kinda weird as I thought I hated it for the last ten years, but it turned out that I had actually been having dreams about running slowly which I was confusing with reality. True story.

Anyway, where do people run? I do Yarra Bend, but am on the lookout for more places.

Your thoughts?
The Tan is W1N, Princess Park is ok but is kinda boring (especially if you work up to doing 3 laps (9-10 km)) and the beachside path from brighton to Black Rock is quite lovely... you just have to look out for cyclists who will try very hard to run you over. Perhaps take a pre-recorded message and a megaphone so that you can yell things at their retreating backs like 'you have a hole in your shorts! I can see an asshole' or 'the road is that black thing with the cars on it; get off the footpath you fucking spandex-loving retard'.

I'm swapping running for snowboarding because, to be honest, snowboarding is more fun than running. Oh, did I mention I'm moving to Whistler with Theo in a few months? :teef:
I wanted to be a hero. I wanted to be the center of attention. I wanted the glory, I wanted the fame. I wanted the pretty girls to come up and say, "Hi, I see that you're good at Centipede."
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

i hate princes park runners because they're always millions of them out when you're hung over at 3pm trying to get to 7-11 for a coke and a sausage roll. smug fuckers.
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

mrj wrote:yeh i hear ya on that, but i think that's why running is good, because it's undemanding on your brain and attention, so it gives your mind a lot of space to think about stuff you don't normally. That's why i like it because it lets me process a whole bunch of stuff that i didn't get time to think about, and that combined with the general endorphin effect means that it's probably the best exercise for stress release that I have found. Afterwards my mind is always clear and quiet, which is a nice feeling and one that is all too rare.
word. i always try to find something i've not listened to before/in ages (i.e. not dubstep) to listen to if i take earphones, 'tis quite nice. 3 laps around princes park is 9km which isn't bad, but i'll try adding a bit of royal park or up the bike trail along park st or something for a bit of variety i think. used to do 10km in about 45min or thereabouts, but now i can barely run to the supermarket, haha.
nic

Post by nic »

fooishbar wrote:
mrj wrote:yeh i hear ya on that, but i think that's why running is good, because it's undemanding on your brain and attention, so it gives your mind a lot of space to think about stuff you don't normally. That's why i like it because it lets me process a whole bunch of stuff that i didn't get time to think about, and that combined with the general endorphin effect means that it's probably the best exercise for stress release that I have found. Afterwards my mind is always clear and quiet, which is a nice feeling and one that is all too rare.
word. i always try to find something i've not listened to before/in ages (i.e. not dubstep) to listen to if i take earphones, 'tis quite nice. 3 laps around princes park is 9km which isn't bad, but i'll try adding a bit of royal park or up the bike trail along park st or something for a bit of variety i think. used to do 10km in about 45min or thereabouts, but now i can barely run to the supermarket, haha.

:?
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

nic wrote:
fooishbar wrote:

:?
it's ok, i meant juke.
nic

Post by nic »

double :?
( :x )

:smt006
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

speaking of, fwd/numbers if plastic people reopen soon? will be deyah in a couple of weeks.
FliP

Post by FliP »

running is for suckers.
shepherd

Post by shepherd »

really enjoy running - was doing 10k 3-4x a week but pulled right back towards end of last year. find i do it in spurts ... 3 or 4 months then i go back to gym ... get bored of that then move back to cardio.

swimming is also great but a pain in the ass in summer as the pools get crowded. much better in winter for lappage. a good 2k in an hour is a great workout and low impact too.
youthful_implants

Post by youthful_implants »

fooishbar wrote:speaking of, fwd/numbers if plastic people reopen soon? will be deyah in a couple of weeks.
cereal? get there, its legendary soundsystem is phat as.
Strontium Music

SOUNDCLOUD | FACEBOOK | TWITTER | TUMBLR
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

youthful_implants wrote:
fooishbar wrote:speaking of, fwd/numbers if plastic people reopen soon? will be deyah in a couple of weeks.
cereal? get there, its legendary soundsystem is phat as.
yeah, have spent many a night in there ... calling someone so they pull their phone out which lights em up enough to see where they are, haha. love it.
nic

Post by nic »

yeh plasticpeople has excellent sound, my fave venue. fwd been closed for last month though
PM SENT ->

_ _ _ _ _
sorry for rave talk in ur running/poofta fitness thread james.
:(
gnat

Post by gnat »

i'd love to be able to run. knee will not take it. can do 15 mins max on treadmill.

and btw the parkville park is a willie, not a winkie
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

nic running lets you rave harder.
Don't hate me for house
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

same Gnat, high school knee injury prevents any serious pounding of the pavement. I started walking about a year ago and slowly slowly I'm working my way into jogging. But I want to be able to run in case I need to. If someone chases me down a dark alley I don't want them winning.
Only the meek get pinched...the bold survive