dub, dubstep, reggae, ragga tip

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.

Is the ragga / dub tip rising into prominence at the moment

yes, and it is all good, i love reggae
54%
yes, but i wish it would go away, i hate reggae
12%
no, it is just you dboy that is getting into it
4%
no, it has always been large- are you blind kid?
12%
maybe, but im to stoned to really notice the music scene...
8%
i think princess D was hot, that women had some major stylee, bring her back.
12%

Total votes: 26

DBoy

dub, dubstep, reggae, ragga tip

Post by DBoy »

Anyone else noticed the increase in reggae, dance hall, dub, dub step and general ragga influence in Melbourne town and the beats scene in general. Not saying it is a new phenomena in itself, as it has always been part of DnB etc, but the rate of change and increased activity in the scene has been fairly prominent in the lead up to this summer.
On the local tip I know the Chant Down crew have been pulling in the numbers at the gigs and Jesse-I and Crucial have been getting respect from a more diverse fan base too. (check out RRR on Saturday arvos)
And they are not they only party on this weekend with the tip, check out the thread below for example.
On the production side although many have been using the ragga MC for a long time in both DnB and Breaks it seems much more prominent now. I know the dub step and dub sound is big in South Africa, the UK and elsewhere, could it be a changing face here too? Personally, I hope so. Not just an influence in the music either, I would like to see more dub stylee events coming up.
Respect Ja.

:wink:
Ag3nT[]0raNg3
old boy

Post by Ag3nT[]0raNg3 »

yeah. dnb has been going a bit dub crazy for a while now.

its all good. as long as they keep coming up with different ways of doing it.

i like dub.
charlie

Re: dub, dubstep, reggae, ragga tip

Post by charlie »

DBoy wrote:Anyone else noticed the increase in reggae, dance hall, dub, dub step and general ragga influence in Melbourne town and the beats scene in general. Not saying it is a new phenomena in itself, as it has always been part of DnB etc, but the rate of change and increased activity in the scene has been fairly prominent in the lead up to this summer.
On the local tip I know the Chant Down crew have been pulling in the numbers at the gigs and Jesse-I and Crucial have been getting respect from a more diverse fan base too. (check out RRR on Saturday arvos)
And they are not they only party on this weekend with the tip, check out the thread below for example.
On the production side although many have been using the ragga MC for a long time in both DnB and Breaks it seems much more prominent now. I know the dub step and dub sound is big in South Africa, the UK and elsewhere, could it be a changing face here too? Personally, I hope so. Not just an influence in the music either, I would like to see more dub stylee events coming up.
Respect Ja.

:wink:
I love the stuff but i think you will find Jesse I does Chant Down on a Saturday Arvo on PBS FM 106.7 I subscribe to the show and they have it on PBS every Saturday followed by a Soul Show.... (Soul Groove me tinks)

Yeah I have noticed peeps being more aware of it... but i put that down to MTV and that whole Sean Paul nightmare..... me shudders....
Kombat Bass

Post by Kombat Bass »

Biggups Kammo - Man loves his reggae...Just got a reggae mix cd off him last week that him and tekken did..perfect timing for the trend ;) hahahaha

Also biggups to Jesse I - Meet him for the first time not long ago, played a gig with him safe geeza who loves his weed!!!
Polecat

Post by Polecat »

i love dubby sounds, but i must say i havent yet been out to catch any since i was down the black cat cafe a million sundays ago. its something we usually listen to at home via radioactive, streamed from Wellington. must go out to catch some more dub djs and bands.
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

yeah Charlie right you are, I always get the two confussed.

I believe Chant Down is on this weekend at deep11, may have to get down and check it out.
charlie

Post by charlie »

DBoy wrote:yeah Charlie right you are, I always get the two confussed.

I believe Chant Down is on this weekend at deep11, may have to get down and check it out.
I was a big RRR listener b4 I went away but have found it hard to get back into since my return.....

Love my PBS tho...... This Saturday you say....hhhmmm I have a poolside BBQ to attend and then photo's taken for our xmas cards (friends and i are making our own this year) so I might see if i am not too wated that i pop down to Deep 11....... Last time I heard Jesse I play a set he pulled out some great tunes......
Amick

Post by Amick »

Ag3nT[]0raNg3 wrote:yeah. dnb has been going a bit dub crazy for a while now.

its all good. as long as they keep coming up with different ways of doing it.

i like dub.
Digital makes a lot of money with his dubby styleez.
factory worker

Post by factory worker »

And 2 years later peeps are still all over dub styles. 2
The best way to cure a broken heart is to give the pieces away
unsoundbwoy

Post by unsoundbwoy »

what did the rasta say when he ran outta weed?

whats that god awful music
factory worker

Post by factory worker »

unsoundbwoy wrote:what did the rasta say when he ran outta weed?

whats that god awful music
how many threads is that joke going on
?
unsoundbwoy

Post by unsoundbwoy »

huh?
its a bad joke i heard years ago?
factory worker

Post by factory worker »

I saw it ona dubstep thread or somethign lese the other dad. its not a bad one.
unsoundbwoy

Post by unsoundbwoy »

oh yeh and i just got a track on a ragga-jungle compilation
will have copies when im back
its called survival story

CD1
Mainframe - "Revelation"
Illicit - "Consciousness"
The Archangel - "Time"
Diamond Geezer - "Gun Man"
Clip and Carbine - "Hot It Up"
D.I.S. - "Gone" (Anthem)
Osci - " Herbsman Smuggling"
Diamondeye - "Horns"
Zebo - "Whether Or Not"
Jungle Raiders feat. Shocking Murray - "Stick It Up"
Jacky Murda - "Three Piece Suit"
Scottfro feat. Stada - "Clean Living"

CD2
Dj Bon's - "Litta Ting"
Dabbler - "Hard Times
Nickynutz feat. Simpleton - “I Spy”"
+2h-2n - “Kayaman”
Obookubo - "Missile Man"
KGBKid - "Step Into A Jungle"
The Artbreaker - "Badman Soundbomb"
Rcola feat. Top Cat - “Coded”
The Bro - “Babylon DC”
Unsoundbwoy - "Glauacoma"
Paulie Walnuts - "Plead My Cause"
Deos - "Ghetto Story"
sneaky hands

Post by sneaky hands »

some of my reggae/dancehall favourites:

Capleton
Sizzla
I-Wayne
Midnite
Groundation
Mykal Rose
Anthony B
Mr Perfect
Turbulence
Jah Cure
Ras Shiloh
Lutan Fyah
Beres Hammond
Richie Spice
Chuck Fender
Dezarie
King Tubby
Fantom mojah
sneaky flow like cash flow
on the first of the month
for broke cats that's thirst for the blunt
FoundationStepper

Post by FoundationStepper »

Polecat wrote:i love dubby sounds, but i must say i havent yet been out to catch any since i was down the black cat cafe a million sundays ago. its something we usually listen to at home via radioactive, streamed from Wellington. must go out to catch some more dub djs and bands.
that would be mine and jarhreds session

now 6-10 fortnightly sundays
factory worker

Post by factory worker »

FoundationStepper wrote:
Polecat wrote:i love dubby sounds, but i must say i havent yet been out to catch any since i was down the black cat cafe a million sundays ago. its something we usually listen to at home via radioactive, streamed from Wellington. must go out to catch some more dub djs and bands.

Do you play any other sesions FS? Chant down etc?
FoundationStepper

Well time for some spamming from someone whos been DJing reggae, dub, ragga jungle for a good few years now... mixes!

Black cat session: roots reggae
http://www.croakinglizard.com/audio/fou ... o_192k.mp3

Glitchy outernational dub recorded at horse bazaar
http://www.croakinglizard.com/audio/fou ... stereo.mp3

Dancehall niceness
http://www.croakinglizard.com/audio/fou ... stereo.mp3

these mixes go down well overseas, few thousand downloads on each of them... so pay attention in melbourne kids or it will pass you by!

lots more at www.croakinglizard.com as well as more mental dub/ragga/breakcore stuff

(feedback turns me on)
Last edited by FoundationStepper on Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
factory worker

Post by factory worker »

Nice one Foundation. I'm glad I resurrected this thread, and like I've said before on these hallowed boards, yourself and Unsound are doing much greatness in Melburn.
FoundationStepper

factory worker wrote:
FoundationStepper wrote:

Do you play any other sesions FS? Chant down etc?
yep

guested chantdown a number of times... from some of thier earliest sessions to more recently as well

used to do kent st on fridays but that stopped recently...

due to the pressures of family life with new baby, no energy to actively promo myself at the moment, so do guest at other nights sporadically

bio on my site!
FoundationStepper

sorry jahred is my black cat partner in crime

not jarhred!

black cat this sun

I should be doing 6-8 if baby is all good
FoundationStepper

factory worker wrote:Nice one Foundation. I'm glad I resurrected this thread, and like I've said before on these hallowed boards, yourself and Unsound are doing much greatness in Melburn.
why thank you!

repping reggae vibes strong, also we are some of the handful to keep the strong link between reggae other stuff in melbourne. many reggae djs are pretty much purists.
factory worker

Post by factory worker »

FoundationStepper wrote:
factory worker wrote:Nice one Foundation. I'm glad I resurrected this thread, and like I've said before on these hallowed boards, yourself and Unsound are doing much greatness in Melburn.
why thank you!

repping reggae vibes strong, also we are some of the handful to keep the strong link between reggae other stuff in melbourne. many reggae djs are pretty much purists.
so are d'n'b dudes. I love the cross over flava's. havin grown up with older bros sitting around ghetto blaster with black uhuru crankin, marley styles and that pass the dutchie single. radness 83 styles.
unsoundbwoy

Post by unsoundbwoy »

you mean this guy??

FoundationStepper

some black uhuru in that blackcat mix BTW

follow UK reggae a fair bit

oh and for a wikkid mix of all new jungle with a total dancehall/dub apporach there is my jungle soundclash set...
http://www.croakinglizard.com/audio/fou ... k_mono.mp3

This is a killa!

(self spamming stops now hopefully)
factory worker

Post by factory worker »

FoundationStepper wrote:some black uhuru in that blackcat mix BTW

follow UK reggae a fair bit

oh and for a wikkid mix of all new jungle with a total dancehall/dub apporach there is my jungle soundclash set...
http://www.croakinglizard.com/audio/fou ... k_mono.mp3

This is a killa!

(self spamming stops now hopefully)
don't be shy. I can't D/L at work but will check these at home later. appreciate the linkage. keep us informed of when you is playing though as well.
Grey Son

Post by Grey Son »

I didnt listen to any until i heard Ninja Man - Picture Frame and then it was a matter of finding as much as i could. Had a mate get 100's of 7" so i went through em and got some dope shit. Yeah i love it!!
Well at least i will be the fattest guy on the street gettin a boat
HEY HEY HEY im gettin a boat!!!!
www.myspace.com/greysonsoul
factory worker

Post by factory worker »

My bro is onto a good source of jamiacan dubs etc in London. Took a bunch back over to NZ and hooked a few brothers up.
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

woah. old thread.
FoundationStepper

BTW I really wouldnt put dubstep into the dub, ragga, reggae influence category...

moreso another style influenced by those elements... its really quite far removed.
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

when the thread started 2 years ago, i may not have know much different.
factory worker

Post by factory worker »

FoundationStepper wrote:BTW I really wouldnt put dubstep into the dub, ragga, reggae influence category...

moreso another style influenced by those elements... its really quite far removed.
I hadn't htought about it too much. I guess the purists of any genre would puish dub step away except for the dubstep camp. Where does it sit. defnitley the snares are dub, the tempo is close, even the 2nd and 4th stabs are on point.
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

It is an influence for sure, you can not deny that. A lot of the earlier stuff i heard from that style was more "drill and bass"? (is that right?). you can definately here the dub influence in some later stuff, just need some more reverb and watnot.
factory worker

Post by factory worker »

DBoy wrote:It is an influence for sure, you can not deny that. A lot of the earlier stuff i heard from that style was more "drill and bass"? (is that right?). you can definately here the dub influence in some later stuff, just need some more reverb and watnot.
drill and bass would be more like hardcore??? not sure about all the genre names all the time.
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

right. Not sure either. When i first heard some of the Pinch Mixes though it was not called dubstep.
Not bothered about genre names, i can barley remember peoples names.
factory worker

Post by factory worker »

DBoy wrote:right. Not sure either. When i first heard some of the Pinch Mixes though it was not called dubstep.
I can't even remember last week.
FoundationStepper

yes, i can see the use of a production technique or two really... the snares are reverb laden... but is doesnt amount to that much in terms of a strong "dub" influence...

tempo wise, i can see the resemblence to UK dub for eg, but its not really close at all when you consider the other elements in UK dub: intrumentation, density, vibe...

As for the "drill and bass" influence? Dont know what your on about there! I might not get what your saying... its a funny term but i have seen it most apporiately applied to somtimes cut up and usually distorted d+b...

I think people draw dubstep as being closer to dub than it really is, whereas i see it as a grime/breaks/dnb cousin which are all influenced by dub to some degree... just with a more overt influence from some production techniques and the bass sensibility than its other genres relations...
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

factory worker wrote:
DBoy wrote:right. Not sure either. When i first heard some of the Pinch Mixes though it was not called dubstep.
I can't even remember last week.
I certianly don't remember srarting this thread.

:teef:
factory worker

Post by factory worker »

FoundationStepper wrote:yes, i can see the use of a production technique or two really... the snares are reverb laden... but is doesnt amount to that much in terms of a strong "dub" influence...

tempo wise, i can see the resemblence to UK dub for eg, but its not really close at all when you consider the other elements in UK dub: intrumentation, density, vibe...

As for the "drill and bass" influence? Dont know what your on about there! I might not get what your saying... its a funny term but i have seen it most apporiately applied to somtimes cut up and usually distorted d+b...

I think people draw dubstep as being closer to dub than it really is, whereas i see it as a grime/breaks/dnb cousin which are all influenced by dub to some degree... just with a more overt influence from some production techniques and the bass sensibility than its other genres relations...
the real telling thing is the place ment of snares. I agree on the connection between jungle and dubstep, especially the rolling bass and sub bass noise. I haven't checked out a lot of dub step.