MELBOURNE BREAKS UNITE // SAT APRIL 29TH, 2006 // THIS SAT!!

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
obliveus

MELBOURNE BREAKS UNITE // SAT APRIL 29TH, 2006 // THIS SAT!!

Post by obliveus »

2006 Melbourne Breaks Unite Line-Up

BREAKS ROOM (5pm - 7am):

5pm same'O
6pm Feigan
7pm Luke McD
8pm Brewster B
9pm Brainstorm
10pm Blueprint (DJ Set)
11pm Lil MiSbreaks
12am Lynt
1am Guyno
2am Roln Connection
3am Little Evil
4am The Alias
5am Heath Myers
6am Sleiker

With MC Dr. Sponk

DNB ROOM (6pm - 7am)

6pm Agent Orange
7pm Tobias J & Teilhard
8pm Fenton
9pm Fickuss
10pm Dust
11pm Livewire
12am Finna
1am Keir
2am Seven
3am Beatski
4am Cliffery
5am Sholtzy
6am Cubist

With MC Wasp

FUNK/HIPHOP/DANCEHALL ROOM (7pm - 6am)

7pm Lucas Chan
8pm Jesse I & Ras Crucial
9pm Paz
10pm Obliveus with MC Direkt
11pm Ben Stacey
12am Nick Thayer
1am Gsan
2am Ides
3am Lindemon
4am Snowie
5am Mr. Lob

AFTER PARTY (7am - 12pm)

7am Ferris
8am Hans DC
9am Scotrod
10am Deviant
11am Shifty Sly

Alright, here it is. MBU 2005 was quite a success with over 650 punters in attendance for an all-local, all-breaks event over 3 rooms at Colonial Hotel. Those that were there know what I'm talking about and those that weren't wish they'd have been there.

So here's the deal:

It was my intention all along for this to be a charity event and we made just enough after paying everyone (DJ's, MC's, Live Acts, Equipment Hire, Promotion, etc) for some money left over for this years event...which was the plan so we could do this years event the right way. So basically, this years event will be a 100% charity event with ALL proceeds going to the Starlight Foundation.

If you dont know about them, go here: www.starlight.org.au

They basically go into hospitals and provide much needed distractions for terminally ill children from poor families. Examples range from a trip to Movie World all the way to a local Footy game or concert. They are a non-profit, non-government organization which means they get no federal funding. They aren't a religous organization, in fact they refuse to make any decisions on religous, cultural or racial grounds. Basically, they're a top notch organization that does a lot of good for the community and doesn't ask for much in return except donations to keep the organization afloat.

When I was in the hospital in 2004, I spoke with many of the nurses about the organization, and all, without 1 being opposed, supported Starlight. So that was good enough for me to want to get involved. We've wanted to do a benefit for them with BW for years, but last years SE Asian Tsunami meant that we reaised money for World Vision instead.

So here's where you come in.

Because last years event was organized at such short notice, we had no ability to open up the event for possible ideas from others in the scene. This was unfortunate, but unavoidable due to the time constraints we were under. Thank God for Drew and Guyno last year; could not have done it without them, without a doubt. But it was a bit too much for 3 people to organize.

This year will be different.

This year, I'd like to offer everyone here on this website the opportunity to come to a general meeting so that we can discuss some of the issues we'll face with the event, i.e. venue, date, promotion, DJ's and money making ideas so that we can raise the most money possible for donation to this great cause.

I've already drawn up 2 pages of matters I'd like to discuss with all of you who want to be involved; the fact that I want drum'n'bass to be represented this year will be a good starting point.

SO!!!!

General Meeting will be held when? I want to hold it in the city somewhere for closer convenience for everyone. I'd prefer to hold it in the afternoon on Saturday January 21st, just because BW 4-Year Anniversary and Local Line-Up is on that night, so a lot of heads will be in or near the city anyways, including myself. But if everyone cant make that or ya'll think a meeting isn't something that needs to happen, then please tell me here. The reason for this thread is to gauge people's enthusiasm for the event, so if nobody is interested, tell me now. Like I said, it'll be a 100% charity event, so no money will be made by anyone running or playing at the event, which isn't everyones cup of tea and I understand that.

So Saturday January 21st, unless ya'll overide the idea. Let's get some ideas on possible venues for the meeting and a good time that wont conflict with BW or Local Line-Up.

Hope this wasn't too long, but the organization is legit and the cause is worthwhile. Let's get some talking started, because any ideas brought up in this thread will be brought up at the meeting, that I can assure you.

:D
Last edited by obliveus on Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:46 pm, edited 12 times in total.
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

:smt047

another MBU!!!

you have 100% of my support
I think I am, Therefore I am. I think
Cubist

Post by Cubist »

I'll be there. We could meet at Bunker...Although somewhere outside would be nicer...Or on the balcony of Mercat would be better!
obliveus

Post by obliveus »

Cubist wrote:I'll be there. We could meet at Bunker...Although somewhere outside would be nicer...Or on the balcony of Mercat would be better!
Good idea. Bunker would be cool, as would Mercat. Didn't want to say anything, in case ya'll thought I was trying to get people to BW. We've actually got a pre-BW/pre-party planned for BW@Mercat that starts at 9pm. So I'm thinking 6-7pm-ish for the MBU meeting, maybe 5. Ideas?

BRB - Wouldn't dream of doing this thing without yer support.
Cubist

Post by Cubist »

Yep, make it 5 at Mercat. Therefore, you don't get 3 pages of discussion regarding venue. :wink:
obliveus

Post by obliveus »

Alright. Is everyone down for this?

Melbourne Breaks Unite General Meeting
5pm @ Mercat Cross Hotel on the upstairs balcony
Saturday January 21st

Give me the go-ahead and I'll sort it with the venue.
Feigan

Post by Feigan »

Lock me in OB - I'm in like Flynn
Little Evil

Post by Little Evil »

Just talked with OB1 for close to 40 mins on what we want for this event.
Will be bigger, better, and badder than last year (if that is possible :D ), with heaps of input from Melb punters and DJ's alike.
The whole thing is to be a charity event, as mentioned by OB1, and will go the fuck off! 8) - While raising heaps of money for an awesome cause.

I think a big part of this event should be about really keeping our fingers on the pulse of Melb breaks, looking to the future, and giving the playing spots to the people who've really put in the hard yards through the course of the year, and know how to rock a dance-floor - regardless of who they are aligned with, or who they know. Merit and hard work, as well as playing abilty should be major factors in who plays when and where.
It should all be about what you've done, and how you've done it - IMO. :D
I personally, would like to see a really high standard of player, as a whole, representing our city, and putting us on the map. Pushing the Melbourne scene forward in every aspect - getting back to what dance music was about before it became a business - which for me personally is seeing incredibly talented people doing totally amazing things, purely for the love of the music. 8)

Would like to see some of the ultra talented newbies on the cards, and will be gunning for that in a big way for this gig.

After MBU last year, breaks just went nuts in this town for a short period. Would like to get it back that way again. Playing in front of a breaks educated crowd on a regular basis gives me a warm feeling of pride in my heart, just for the fact that Melbourne knows it's beats through educative/innovative parties such as this, and as a consequence makes it that little bit easier for performers wanting to push sounds that are new and original. It truly was a fantastic party last year. IMO it did lots for the scene.

So, with everyone's input and help, we can put on a party of the likes Melbourne has never seen, with an incredibly high standard, and I sincerely hope that as many of you will be involved as possible.

We can throw a rocking party without internationals - we have all the talent in this town to throw a world class party on our own for sure.
Lets do it.

Looks like the gig will be mid year, so we have plenty of time, but this year we will go all out, and make this a party one you tell your grand-kids about. :D

Last years party created much solidarity in the scene, and people that wouldn't even usualy talk to eachother played side by side.
It was an awesome experience, and one that I can't wait to re-live. :D

OB1 - I can't do the meeting on the 21st man. I have an important gig, and you know what I'm like before-hand.
Can someone record it for me or something - I really want to be there, but that date is impossible for me. Sorry. :cry:

MBU - Returning for 2006 - Exciting stuff. :smt026
D&B playing a major roll in this party too - if we get the support from the d&b community.
Looking forward to it in a big way. :smt023
Brain

Post by Brain »

[Mod Edit: Removed]
lucas
emission reductionist

Post by lucas »

Definitely down.

:smt041
"Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted." - Martin Luther King Jr.
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

obliveus wrote:Alright. Is everyone down for this?

Melbourne Breaks Unite General Meeting
5pm @ Mercat Cross Hotel on the upstairs balcony
Saturday January 21st

Give me the go-ahead and I'll sort it with the venue.

:smt023

do they do a good Parma at the Mercat?
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

I'll be there
Don't hate me for house
obliveus

Post by obliveus »

Awesome to see so much support so quickly. I'll call Mercat and get some space set aside for our meeting. Thanks so much everyone, you really are what makes this town so cool.
Nick Thayer

Post by Nick Thayer »

The Parma at the Mercat is TOP NOTCH

I'd love to be involved with this....
Dunno if I can make the meeting tho :-(
Beats Electric - Tuesdays 8-10pm on Triple R 102.7fm

Late Show 4 Eva

http://www.myspace.com/djnickthayer
http://www.myspace.com/beatselectric

In Istanbul, we won it 5 times.....
obliveus

Post by obliveus »

Nick Thayer wrote:The Parma at the Mercat is TOP NOTCH

I'd love to be involved with this....
Dunno if I can make the meeting tho :-(
Good to hear, my man. I'll keep everyone in the loop on developments who cant make the meeting. Cheers. :D
DC

Post by DC »

Im in.
Dedicated Breakbeat Shananigans
lynt

Post by lynt »

Good to see it under way Eric.

Will be at the meeting.
obliveus

Post by obliveus »

lynt wrote:Good to see it under way Eric.

Will be at the meeting.
Nice. Thanks for making it "sticky".
obliveus

Post by obliveus »

BTW I've had 10 people already get in touch either through this thread or by PM who say they'll be at the meeting. So it's a go. Will call Jane @ Mercat tomorrow. So cool to see people wanting to do some good.
8)
lynt

Post by lynt »

We always want to do good :)
stovequeen

Post by stovequeen »

I would love to get involved .....if i was in the country :? :roll:

Best of luck with it guys and girls 8)
deviant

Post by deviant »

^^ Luck will not be a factor ;) :D

I'm there, with bells on :)
mrj

Post by mrj »

I'd love to help in anyway that I can, not sure what I can add though.

will def pop my head in though, more foot soldiers never hurts, Shredder knew that!
betson

Post by betson »

I'm keen to lend a hand if needed. You city folk will have it covered I reckon, will try to make the meeting and meet some crew.
Don't forget to bring a towell!!
Feigan

Post by Feigan »

mrj wrote:I'd love to help in anyway that I can, not sure what I can add though.

will def pop my head in though, more foot soldiers never hurts, Shredder knew that!
Shredder!!!
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

Little Evil wrote:
D&B playing a major roll in this party too - if we get the support from the d&b community.

nothing against the dnb community, but I thought this was Melbourne BREAKS Unite?

I'd personally like to keep it that way.

:waits for drama & bass crew to flame me:
Broken Beat Assault

Post by Broken Beat Assault »

breaksRbest wrote:
Little Evil wrote:

nothing against the dnb community, but I thought this was Melbourne BREAKS Unite?

well BBA will be playing a major role in organising the DnB entertainment, and looking forward to it!~ why wouldnt you want DnB? its only going to bring more headz which means more money raised for starlight foundation, you can stay in the breaks room (yes dnb will have its own room) all nite by choice if you want! DnB is a form of breakbeat, just not slowed down, haha! :lol:
Well done Eric for putting the wheels in motion, should be fun.

lynt

Post by lynt »

Best reply ever BBA! :thumbup:

You got off light, BRB! :D
dj awesome

Post by dj awesome »

did someone say parma?? 8)

http://www.djawesome.com

Live fast - yeah live too bloody fast sometimes; die young ... Die Young? No ... die old.
dust

Post by dust »

Broken Beat Assault wrote:
breaksRbest wrote:
Little Evil wrote:

well BBA will be playing a major role in organising the DnB entertainment, and looking forward to it!~ why wouldnt you want DnB? its only going to bring more headz which means more money raised for starlight foundation, you can stay in the breaks room (yes dnb will have its own room) all nite by choice if you want! DnB is a form of breakbeat, just not slowed down, haha! :lol:
Nice one once again BBA. You guys rock! I'll put my hand up to help out with the d'n'b, play, do a little jig, whatever.

Brb - you'll keep my friend. Flaming forthcoming. :wink:
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

Broken Beat Assault wrote:
I love Drum and Bass, but will be a little concerned if the Drum and Bass room takes over a breaks room. There were three 100% Breaks rooms last year from memory?

Other than that bring on the DnB!
Don't hate me for house
DC

Post by DC »

Damn....gonna be another huge night next Saturday with work all day, meeting, BW....and then some. Shieeettt......

Someone say D&B? HA! It aint my choice of music but I think it needs to be represented nontheless. Only gripe I have with it - promoters never seem to have enuff sound (or at least good quality sound). Maybe this is something that we can look into for the party. A decent system for the D&B (and of course the other) room. Cos if its gonna sound shit, there really is no point. Doesnt do the music any favours. But if it sounds tops - you know we're gonna convert more than a few heads.
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

DC wrote: Someone say D&B? HA! It aint my choice of music but I think it needs to be represented nontheless. Only gripe I have with it - promoters never seem to have enuff sound (or at least good quality sound).
Some promoters do sound correctly. Elementz being an example.
Don't hate me for house
DC

Post by DC »

Bring your formula to the table then. Im sure many can learn from it.
Brain

Post by Brain »

JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

Brain wrote:
jbs wrote:
I love Drum and Bass, but will be a little concerned if the Drum and Bass room takes over a breaks room. There were three 100% Breaks rooms last year from memory?
Perhaps more versus sets this year to accommodate more folks?
Personally I hate watching versus sets most of the time (some exceptions obviously), altho more people playing can only be a good thing
Don't hate me for house
betson

Post by betson »

vs room? depends how many rooms there are I spose.

the room at the espy rocked.
Brain

Post by Brain »

lilstormer

Post by lilstormer »

Brain wrote:
betson wrote:
the room at the espy rocked.
It sure did. :smt023
I'd second the versus idea. It means more Dj's can be on the roster thus presenting a more united breaks gig.

... and it worked well on nyd.
Free to those that can afford it, very expensive to those that can't.
SHIFTY

Post by SHIFTY »

would def be keen to help out any way i can OB1 this will be large :shock:
Collision - Featuring Earthcore, Lectro and Dirty Deeds.
Sat 29th of July @ the Mercat Cross (456 Queen st. Melb)
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

I don't want this thread to turn into a shit fight, so I'll just PM Eric my thoughts.

have a nice day.
obliveus

Post by obliveus »

Sweet as. This is what good forums are all about. Ideas springing forth and debate taking place. My 2 cents...

1. Drum'N'Bass IS breaks to me...just faster. I've always felt this way. I wanted d'n'b to be represented last year, but due to time constraints and what could be done in such short time, d'n'b got the short end of the stick. I've already spoken to Dan about him coming on board, because he runs top quality nights, can rip it up on the decks and has plenty of friends and contacts in the d'n'b scene of which I am in short supply of.

2. Versus sets are something I've begun to look at in the past day, due to the overwhelming amount of support that's been offered by DJ's wishing to donate their time to this cause, BUT, and it's a big "but", I HATE VERSUS SETS!!! Too hard to really show what you can build in an hour versus set and 30 minutes each leaves you with the same thing IMO. I'm in the process of contacting a few different venues before the meeting so that we have a better idea of what will be available to us and I'd much rather do the event over 2 venues within walking distance than 1 venue with versus sets all night. But that's just my opinion and nothing has been decided yet....that wont come until everyone has had a constructive say in the matter.

3. Already sent an email to Gia regarding sound availability. Waiting for his reply, but I can assure you I will have spoken to him by the meeting. Sound will not be an issue. Wouldn't dream of doing the dnb room without, at least, the Function 1 and the other rooms will be on point as well.

Alright, I'm writing all of this stuff down so it can also be addressed at the meeting. Hopefully, I wont be the only one talking. :wink:

Keep it all coming,

OB1
Guyno

Post by Guyno »

:twisted:
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

Great work people. Love your work. No point in getting involved in this process cause there are enough experienced peps here to manage that. But happy to help once fliers printed etc.
Little Evil

Post by Little Evil »

obliveus wrote:, I HATE VERSUS SETS!!!
Word.
Done in moderation they are ok, but a whole night of verses sets would suck ass.
A gig of this stature needs to let each individual dj shine.
They've worked their guts out all year to get a gig of this calibre, and should be rewarded accordingly - with a solo set in front of a breaks loving crowd.

I'm up for the whole d&b thing, as I'm a big fan of the world scene.
I'm tired of the whole 'breaks is better than d&b and vice versa' argument.
They are both quality forms of music, and both breakbeat in essence.
Sorry BRB - I can see where your coming from though.
But it would definately be good to have some quality d&b on board. :D

I have to go back to work.
See ya's! 8)
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Count me in - great work OB1. See ya there.

D'N'B - for sure!

Verus - not keen on the idea personally.

deviant

Post by deviant »

outdoor?
betson

Post by betson »

^^^^^^^
outdoor would be sick, but not in winter.

Cold and rain could just fuck the whole thing up. I spose that can happen at anytime of the year down hear in VIC.(looks out window now)
obliveus

Post by obliveus »

I'd love to do a festival type bush doof for this, but I dont see it happening. Will cost too much to stage and cost is the one thing I want to keep down so more money can be raised for SF.

Keep em coming...

8)
Cubist

Post by Cubist »

Cause it's Breaks and DnB you could call it Melbourne Beats Unite...(not refering to MB.com but simply Melbourne Beats)