David Gray last night - AWESOME!!

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
Little Evil

David Gray last night - AWESOME!!

Post by Little Evil »

Did anyone else manage to catch David Gray last night at Rod Laver?
I'm a HUGE fan, yet one of the biggest musical disapointments this year was his latest album - 'Life in Slow Motion' - so I was extremely skeptical last night for two reasons...
1. It was a staduim gig - and the two other times I saw him he played the Forum, and also Leciester Sqare in London.
2. His last album severely lacks anything his last 3 albums have delivered.

Straight out - he fucking rocked it anyway, and was as good, if not better than his show back at the forum in 2003.
I was blown away, and it aint easy to impress me musically, that's for sure. 8)

Anyone else go?
How was the atmospehere for a stadium gig? :smt026
I left utterly moved, and my girlfriend had to drive home - as I was totally blown away.
The guy is an absolute wordsmith, and absolute genius.
Only about 5 tunes off the new album , and the rest was 'White Ladder' and 'New Day At Midnight' the whole way - with a couple of Dylan and Tim Buckley tunes thrown in for good measure.
Loved it. 8)

Saw a few people I knew there from MB, anyone else? :D
Guyno

Post by Guyno »

Wanted to go to this so bad! Wish you had have said it was shit.... :cry:
gnat

Post by gnat »

Drew you noob- you saw him at the Palais last time- I was with you!

I didn't go last night becoz last gig was one of my fave of all time and I think it's futile to try and compete in such situations- you're inevitably disappointed. Rod Laver for DG just didn't appeal either- what a shame.

Anyway, Neets and Aardvark Racer called me while he was doing 'This Years Love' and it sounded schweeet....

David Gray is the shizzle. Glad you liked it Evil :smt006
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss
Little Evil

Post by Little Evil »

Guyno wrote:Wanted to go to this so bad! Wish you had have said it was shit.... :cry:
Yes, Guyno, you were another of my David Gray converts? :D
Man, it was inspiring - but I have the DVD (bought it last night) - I'll burn you a copy today. :D
Friday

Post by Friday »

shit!

i spent all night sitting on the couch last night thinking i knew there was something i was meant to be doing!!

that's what happens when i forget to take my diary home over the weekend :(

glad it was good but even more pissed i forgot now!
Little Evil

Post by Little Evil »

I always get the Palais and Forum mixed up?
Why is that? :roll:

I would go so far as to say it was better than the gig we all went to in 2003 Gnat. Seriously.
You missed out bad. :cry:

As stated, I was totally skeptical about the Rod Laver thing too, but I got my seats, 10 meteres away from the man himself - and I was as happy as a dog with two dicks.
He completely rocked it, and I think was a bit over-awed with the crowds reception. Everyone there abosolutely adores the dude.

If you haven't ever listened to David Gray before - forget the shit that's being played on the radio now, and do yourself a huge favour - and go buy yourself 'White Ladder' - it's the greatest. 8)
Last edited by Little Evil on Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Guyno

Post by Guyno »

Little Evil wrote:
Guyno wrote:Wanted to go to this so bad! Wish you had have said it was shit.... :cry:
Yes, Guyno, you were another of my David Gray converts? :D
Man, it was inspiring - but I have the DVD (bought it last night) - I'll burn you a copy today. :D
Cheers on the DVD geezer. Is it a live deal?

Actually Bek was a massive David Gray fan and had me onto it as soon as we met. Kinda became our Sunday session theme to chuck on White Ladder and New day at Midnight on repeat ALL day and never got tired of it. I was supposed to buy us tickets to this as a mothers day gift but unfortunately I'm just too broke right now. :cry:

[sulks]
Little Evil

Post by Little Evil »

Ahhh, James Taylor on the radio right now.
'Fire and Rain'
One of Dave's biggest influences. 8)
Miss Bee

Post by Miss Bee »

bummer :(

I luuurve David Gray, but didnt go because of it being at rod laver. Now I wish I went anyway. Gr.
Little Evil

Post by Little Evil »

Yep, the DVD is a live deal.
Haven't watched it myself yet.
But it's this footage of him playing in America.
Bought it last night, as it came with a David Gray compendium.

I'm sure it will rock. :D
Will give it to you at MBU this weekend.
gnat

Post by gnat »

Little Evil wrote:I always fet the Palais and Forum mixed up?

I would go so far as to say it was better than the gig we all went to in 2003 Gnat. Seriously.

As stated, I was totally skeptical about the Rod Laver thing too, but I got my seats, 10 meteres away from the man himself - and I was as happy as a dog with two dicks.
He completely rocked it, and I think was a bit over-awed with the crowds reception. Everyone there abosolutely adores the dude.

If you haven't ever listened to David Gray before - forget the shit that's being played on the radio now, and do yourself a huge favour - and go buy yourself 'White Ladder' - it's the greatest. 8)
Awesome! Remember he started the Palais gig and and we all got goosebumps and the tears on hard out when he did Say Hello, Wave Goodbye.

Ahh, David Gray = the greatest. Love him.

Your Rod Laver seats sound almost as good as my Bowie ones Drew- three rows from front right in the middle. Oh, yours were right up the back hey? Hehehehehe :lol: .
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss
Guyno

Post by Guyno »

Little Evil wrote:Yep, the DVD is a live deal.
Haven't watched it myself yet.
But it's this footage of him playing in America.
Bought it last night, as it came with a David Gray compendium.

I'm sure it will rock. :D
Will give it to you at MBU this weekend.
Cheers bruva. Muchly appreciated. 8)
Little Evil

Post by Little Evil »

gnat wrote:
Little Evil wrote:I always fet the Palais and Forum mixed up?

Awesome! Remember he started the Palais gig and and we all got goosebumps and the tears on hard out when he did Say Hello, Wave Goodbye.

Ahh, David Gray = the greatest. Love him.

Your Rod Laver seats sound almost as good as my Bowie ones Drew- three rows from front right in the middle. Oh, yours were right up the back hey? Hehehehehe :lol: .
He didn't do 'Say hello wave goodbye' at that gig.
He did every other song off both off the main albums.
He didn't do it last night either, but he did it when I saw him in London.
You must mean 'this years love' or 'sail away'. :D

I'm sort of glad he didn't do it last night, because it's the saddest god-damned song I've ever heard, and I was in such a rocking mood last night that I don't know if I would have stayed 'up' if he had of played it.
Still the best song on the album IMO. Love how it ends - 'we were born for the wind, who are we to understand, etc, etc."
Makes me ball.
(Don't tell anyone)

Saw your sis and Quin their last night Natty. 8)

I had good seats at Bowie. What you talkin bout Willis? :lol:
gnat

Post by gnat »

Yeps- you're right- Sail Away. I know the other one's your fave and it is sad as. Beautiful though. This Years Love is my personal fave.

'On a midnight street
Sweep me off my feet'...
Little Evil

Post by Little Evil »

'Singin - aint this life so sweet.
This years lovin it'll last"

What an album?
So many memories of so many different times on that album.
Never had an album stir emotion like that.
10 out of 10 for white ladder.
9 out of 10 for 'New Day at Midnight' (Only took one point off because of that 'kangaroo' song)
5 out of 10 for 'Life in Slow Motion'- as the songs don't lack. It's just incredibly over-produced, and doesn't have that emotion that the others have. Either that or it's so polished that the emotion doesn't come through.

Fuck, I wish you guys had of seen him last night - he was in fine form.
Even the new stuff, while live was absolutely magic. 8)

He'll be out again. He's only a few years older than us. Must be just pushing 40. :D
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Drew - sorry mate, but is this thread for real?

I only know who this fella is from ad's, but wouldn't have picked him for your cup of tea
Guyno

Post by Guyno »

Little Evil wrote: 9 out of 10 for 'New Day at Midnight' (Only took one point off because of that 'kangaroo' song)
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I hear ya. What the fuck was up with that?
Guyno

Post by Guyno »

Direktor wrote:Drew - sorry mate, but is this thread for real?

I only know who this fella is from ad's, but wouldn't have picked him for your cup of tea
Dun go der mate. Sheeeeeesh :evil: ..... We don't joke about David Gray. :wink: :D
gnat

Post by gnat »

Guyno wrote:

Dun go der mate. Sheeeeeesh :evil: ..... We don't joke about David Gray. :wink: :D
Direktor, get your coat.. :lol:
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

My coat?

Whatever do you mean dear Gnat?

I do believe I am lost
gnat

Post by gnat »

Direktor wrote:I do believe I am lost
dude, is this you?

:lol: :lol:
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

No love on that pic Gnat...

I know not what you imply.

Come again...
gnat

Post by gnat »

Direktor wrote:Come again...
Brick Top: 'In the quiet words of the Virgin Mary... come again'

:lol:
Guyno

Post by Guyno »

Get your tongue outa my arse boy. Only dogs do that. You're not a dog are ya boy?

Sorry Direktor. This is not at you bruva. :wink:
Guyno

Post by Guyno »

I think Gnat is saying you're the sheep that has lost his way (Luke 15:1-10)
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

gnat wrote:
Direktor wrote:Come again...
Brick Top: 'In the quiet words of the Virgin Mary... come again'

:lol:
Got it in one... I always do his "I'm sweet enough already" quote when people at work ask me if I'd like sugar in my coffee! :lol:
ADD_Boy
like a tiger

Post by ADD_Boy »

Guyno wrote:I think Gnat is saying you're the sheep that has lost his way (Luke 15:1-10)
I didn't say that fucken !! :P
PUCK YOU MISS ~~!
Guyno

Post by Guyno »

ADD_Boy wrote:
Guyno wrote:I think Gnat is saying you're the sheep that has lost his way (Luke 15:1-10)
I didn't say that fucken !! :P
Who invited you fucken?
ADD_Boy
like a tiger

Post by ADD_Boy »

:(

PUCK YOU MISS ~~!
Guyno

Post by Guyno »

Gnatty, have you been logging in under your boys alias causing trouble again?

:teef:
drew

Re: David Gray last night - AWESOME!!

Post by drew »

Little Evil wrote: I was blown away, and it aint easy to impress me musically, that's for sure. 8)
yeah, i know how u feel....last time i was at rod laver i was seeing NIN....me and my friend were just sitting in her car for the preceding half hour in awe of what we had just seen...
Little Evil

Post by Little Evil »

What, because I play underground, hard breaks that's all I listen to? :D
I played guitar for 12 years beforehand, and my knowledge of other genre's is pretty good. I listen to everything.
Except for Jazz. Don't know anything about it - never grew up with it.
Sure it's great, but not my cup of tea.
I just like to listen to good music, everything from Elvis Costello, to old Metallica, Annie D'franco, The Sugar Hill Gang, The Melvins, or even Bach - I have very varied taste.
I'm all over the shop :D
I have every AC/DC album ever made, on vinyl, and am a signed up member of the official Beatles fan club.
If it's good, there's a good chance it's in my collection. :D

David Gray is God though.
By far my favourite performer of all time, and 'white ladder' being my fave album ever.
You should get in to it Direktor. 8)

(No need for him to get his coat - he didn't know :lol: )
Little Evil

Post by Little Evil »

Guyno wrote:
Little Evil wrote: 9 out of 10 for 'New Day at Midnight' (Only took one point off because of that 'kangaroo' song)
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I hear ya. What the fuck was up with that?
I have no idea. Worst song he ever wrote IMO.
I think it's because he married an Australian girl. He just had his second kid too.
He keeps his private life well under wraps, and barely says a word in between songs while performing. He's a bit of a mystery man.
Very interesting character though.
I fucken love the dude. 8)