The Nerd Thread

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
Little Evil

The Nerd Thread

Post by Little Evil »

Hey, yes, like many of you out there, I am a closet nerd.
I have read just about every fantasy novel ever written, and am into sci-fi, comics, and anything to do with Starwars a bit too much for some of my rougher peers liking. :lol:
(Never liked Star Trek though :lol: )

Post your nerd news here.
Or have nerdy debates here.

Eg - Who kicks more arse? Darth Vader or Sauron?
Why did they make that fucked up sequel to interview with the Vampire, and skip a whole book to do so?
Who do you think will be killed off in the new, and last, Harry Potter book? My guess is Hagrid, but I may be mistaken.
George Lucas - should he be killed? And brutally?
Exorcist - Part 3 is really part 2, because the original writer and director had nothing to do with part 2. How BAD was part 4!! And did you know they originally made part 4 with a different director and script, but it wasn't 'Hollywood' enough - so they scrapped it and re-made it???
I just spent a whole day putting all my protools regions in order of sound type. Arrrrghh!!
What is the greatest fantasy novel written?
What is the best Sci-Fi film ever made?
Nerd!!

There you go! 8)

Nerd News - Chronicles of Riddick 3 (Return to Furia) being made as we type. (Fucking YES!!!)
George R.R Martin's new book - 'A dance of Dragons' out early next year!!
And he has also done the rough drafts for the final two books in the 'song of Ice and Fire' series. Recently just changing the title of the last book from 'A time for Wolves' to 'A time for Spring.' - thoughts?
(I can't bloody wait! This guy makes Tolkien look like the guy who wrote the Tom & Jane books 8) )
Peter Jackson does a re-make of one of my fave old war movies - 'The Damn Busters' - Thoughts?
Talk of William Gibsons 'Neuromancer' being made intoa film, with the dude who does Aphex Twins film clips directing. Yay!!

Continue...

NERD!!
Last edited by Little Evil on Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
almax

Re: The Nerd Thread

Post by almax »

closet.....i'd say it was pretty fucking apparent

:teef:
deviant

Post by deviant »

Little Evil wrote:Dark Vader
FAKE!!!!! :teef:
Little Evil wrote: with the dude who does Aphex Twins film clips directing. Yay!!
Chris Cunningham. Any discernable nerd would know that..... tsk tsk

:P
Last edited by deviant on Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Who's Dark Vader?

Can't wait for Peter Jackson to direct "The Hobbit" - my favourite of Tolkien's Middle Earth novels.

PS: Sauron would kick Darth Vaders ass IMO.
almax

Post by almax »

When i was a kid i read most of the Dragon lance series and Raymond E Feist Magician series, used to play D&D and talisman the board game, Collected comics, played chess since i was 3, used to have glasses till i was 8. That is all
ADD_Boy
like a tiger

Post by ADD_Boy »

almax wrote: used to play D&D
Me too :oops:
PUCK YOU MISS ~~!
Little Evil

Post by Little Evil »

deviant wrote:[
I'll out-nerd you any day son. :lol:
We should have a comp for the greatest Nerd on MB.
Did I really write Dark Vader instead of Darth? I haven't done that since I was 6. :lol:
FoundationStepper

Post by FoundationStepper »

yesterday i learnt how to convert sound power to sound pressure

does that make me a nerd or a geek?
cj the taniwha

Post by cj the taniwha »

Direktor wrote:Who's Dark Vader?

Can't wait for Peter Jackson to direct "The Hobbit" - my favourite of Tolkien's Middle Earth novels.

the no good lousy cheap skate film company is not letting jackson do the hobbit because he refused to start until they had paid him all the money owing from the LOTR films. this is terrible news, another jackson tolkein film would have been awesome.
Back from the desert to stir things up a little :)
mizuhodai

Post by mizuhodai »

the George R R Martin books are pretty amazing, infact they are probably the best set of books i have ever read, re define the genre of fantisy writing, and his writing about characters in the book from a non bias perspective makes it that much more intriguing and exciting. even though his books are like 3.2 zillion pages long, you can go through them pretty quickly. a clash of kigs and a game of thrones and the one after that took me like 1 month to read pretty quick considering im an extremely slow reader.....

here's a question who would win in a fight Jamie Lannister or Jimmy the Hand from the Raymon E Fiest books??
"Are we there yet"?
"Soon enough!"
"That's not soon enough"
C.I.A.

Post by C.I.A. »

ADD_Boy wrote:
Aye. I can trump you all; I had all the D&D books, monster manuals etc and even a Dr Who D&D set, but no-one to play D&D with, so I used to play D&D by myself.

:oops: :oops: :oops:

:casts level 15 Nerd of the Infinite:
I wanted to be a hero. I wanted to be the center of attention. I wanted the glory, I wanted the fame. I wanted the pretty girls to come up and say, "Hi, I see that you're good at Centipede."
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

cj the taniwha wrote:
Direktor wrote:Who's Dark Vader?

the no good lousy cheap skate film company is not letting jackson do the hobbit because he refused to start until they had paid him all the money owing from the LOTR films. this is terrible news, another jackson tolkein film would have been awesome.
Pretty sure that's old news bud. I read that too. Then the next day I heard a different film production house had the rights to The Hobbit (or will have in a years time) and they're getting Jackson on board. Here's hoping!
Little Evil

Post by Little Evil »

almax wrote:When i was a kid i read most of the Dragon lance series and Raymond E Feist Magician series, used to play D&D and talisman the board game, Collected comics, played chess since i was 3, used to have glasses till i was 8. That is all
I started with Raymond E Feist - and have even been to a book signing. :lol:
Got my rare hard cover version of Magicain signed. :lol:

As far as I'm concerened there was Only the first three Riftwar books, and the 'Mistress' books he wrote with Janny Wurts that were any good.
When he killed off Arutha - I finished with him (But I still read all the books! Arrrrrgggghh!)
:lol:
mizuhodai

Post by mizuhodai »

did anyone play the 1991 pc game by raymond e fiest and dynamix

The Betrayal at Krondor???!!!! best game ever!!!!
"Are we there yet"?
"Soon enough!"
"That's not soon enough"
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

PS: Al, Chess isn't for nerds IMO - it's an awesome game.

We should play some time.
Little Evil

Post by Little Evil »

movingshadow wrote:the George R R Martin books are pretty amazing, infact they are probably the best set of books i have ever read, re define the genre of fantisy writing, and his writing about characters in the book from a non bias perspective makes it that much more intriguing and exciting. even though his books are like 3.2 zillion pages long, you can go through them pretty quickly. a clash of kigs and a game of thrones and the one after that took me like 1 month to read pretty quick considering im an extremely slow reader.....

here's a question who would win in a fight Jamie Lannister or Jimmy the Hand from the Raymon E Fiest books??
Jamie Lannister (Before he got his hand chopped) would WOOP Jimmy the Hands arse. :lol:
The Hand is a pussy. 8)
FoundationStepper

i used to love quest for glory by sierra

had a character who went through all the games...
almax

Post by almax »

C.I.A. wrote:
ADD_Boy wrote:
Aye. I can trump you all; I had all the D&D books, monster manuals etc and even a Dr Who D&D set, but no-one to play D&D with, so I used to play D&D by myself.

Scot no friends.....
C.I.A.

Post by C.I.A. »

I love the Sandman comics. A bit goth-nerd, but ace storylines.

I also used to collect Cerebus... the early ones are a pisser, constant nerd references with Elrond the Albino, The Cockroach and Red Sophia.
I wanted to be a hero. I wanted to be the center of attention. I wanted the glory, I wanted the fame. I wanted the pretty girls to come up and say, "Hi, I see that you're good at Centipede."
Brain

Post by Brain »

Brain

Post by Brain »

C.I.A. wrote:I love the Sandman comics. A bit goth-nerd, but ace storylines.

I also used to collect Cerebus... the early ones are a pisser, constant nerd references with Elrond the Albino, The Cockroach and Red Sophia.

Word word word and more word.

Neil Gaiman rules. Dave Sim ruled before he went mad.
C.I.A.

Post by C.I.A. »

almax wrote:
C.I.A. wrote:
ADD_Boy wrote: Me too :oops:

Scot no friends.....
yeah, well I have, like, charisma of 18... :blowsNose:...
mizuhodai

Post by mizuhodai »

Little Evil wrote:
movingshadow wrote:the George R R Martin books are pretty amazing, infact they are probably the best set of books i have ever read, re define the genre of fantisy writing, and his writing about characters in the book from a non bias perspective makes it that much more intriguing and exciting. even though his books are like 3.2 zillion pages long, you can go through them pretty quickly. a clash of kigs and a game of thrones and the one after that took me like 1 month to read pretty quick considering im an extremely slow reader.....

Jamie Lannister (Before he got his hand chopped) would WOOP Jimmy the Hands arse. :lol:
The Hand is a pussy. 8)
thats a big call jimmy was a crafty little bad ass through all the riftwar saga, and he took on a few demons all by himself with only a few scratches in Krondor The Assasains.......my money is on Jimmy , lannister is the kingslayer but too much of a daddies boy :D

Also quest for glory games....2nd best games ever...i had the same character for all the games too, but the 5th game was so lame !!!
"Are we there yet"?
"Soon enough!"
"That's not soon enough"
almax

Post by almax »

lolage @ charisma, i think you need to roll another 36 sided dice to get a boost. So when you played against yourself, did you just cheat so you could boost your character up big time?
Little Evil

Post by Little Evil »

Brain wrote:Image
That fat little nerdy fuck is the GOD of fantasy.
What a stereotype he is. :lol: :lol:
But boy, can he write.
Do I really look like him Brain? :lol:

Tad Williams is the only Fantasy Writer who looks semi-cool.
Only because he shaves his rough head though. :lol:

I guess looking like a total poindexter would be better than looking like H.P Lovecaraft though? Apparently that dude had some serious issues cosmetically. :lol:
Last edited by Little Evil on Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C.I.A.

Post by C.I.A. »

almax wrote:lolage @ charisma, i think you need to roll another 36 sided dice to get a boost. So when you played against yourself, did you just cheat so you could boost your character up big time?
maybe
FoundationStepper

Quest for glory... which was the fifth... let me test my memory

1: in the forest town with baba yaga
2: in the desert with the whole arabic theme?
3: ?
4: ?
5: ?

there was one in the savanna, with african girls

there was one in another slavic place with baba yaga again, and vampires etc...
Little Evil

Post by Little Evil »

movingshadow wrote:
Little Evil wrote:

The Hand is a pussy. 8)
thats a big call jimmy was a crafty little bad ass through all the riftwar saga, and he took on a few demons all by himself with only a few scratches in Krondor The Assasains.......my money is on Jimmy , lannister is the kingslayer but too much of a daddies boy :D

Also quest for glory games....2nd best games ever...i had the same character for all the games too, but the 5th game was so lame !!!
Jamie is as hard as fuck.
Yeah, but Jimmy got all the glory after Ray E had fallen from grace.
Who do you reckon would win out of him and Camaris from Tad Williams 'Memory, Sorrow and Thorn' books?
I reckon it would be very close.
But, I still reckon Jamie would nail it. :lol:

(Evil wipes sweat off brow, and finally comes to terms with what a nerd he is :lol: )
Last edited by Little Evil on Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brain

Post by Brain »

H. P. Lovecraft - mega-nerd!
mizuhodai

Post by mizuhodai »

FoundationStepper wrote:Quest for glory... which was the fifth... let me test my memory

1: in the forest town with baba yaga
2: in the desert with the whole arabic theme?
3: ?
4: ?
5: ?

there was one in the savanna, with african girls

there was one in another slavic place with baba yaga again, and vampires etc...
3 WAS IN tarna, the african jungle setting...the land of those lion people, rakeesh..
4 was in the forrest kinda of a europen setting with vampires and warewolves and the naked rasalki chick that lures you into her pond
and

5. cant remember was shit, just remember doing a bunch of quests for coins or something and there was a dragon in the game too
"Are we there yet"?
"Soon enough!"
"That's not soon enough"
Little Evil

Post by Little Evil »

He looks like a cross between Herman Munster and Quincy M.E. :lol:

The dude was disturbed.
One weird-assed motherfucker. :lol:
mizuhodai

Post by mizuhodai »

Who do you reckon would win out of him and Camaris from Tad Williams 'Memory, Sorrow and Thorn' books?

im not sure coz i havent read those books.....your nerdyness may even surpass mine!!!

but the jimmy v jamie, we lll have to agree to disagree on this one for the time being.

did you read the new ray e books, the conclave of shadows.....??
"Are we there yet"?
"Soon enough!"
"That's not soon enough"
mizuhodai

Post by mizuhodai »

Little Evil wrote:

He looks like a cross between Herman Munster and Quincy M.E. :lol:

The dude was disturbed.
One weird-assed motherfucker. :lol:
he looks like Timmothy McVeigh(sp) the Oaklahoma bombing guy :shock:
"Are we there yet"?
"Soon enough!"
"That's not soon enough"
Little Evil

Post by Little Evil »

movingshadow wrote:Who do you reckon would win out of him and Camaris from Tad Williams 'Memory, Sorrow and Thorn' books?

im not sure coz i havent read those books.....your nerdyness may even surpass mine!!!

but the jimmy v jamie, we lll have to agree to disagree on this one for the time being.

8)
No, I haven't read anything new of his for about 5 years.
He lost me after 'A darkness at Sethanon' - but I still read all the demon stuff he wrote - even though it shat me.
I heard he has written prequels though? Would be interested to have a read.
I just read a short story of his - 'The Messenger' - which is set in the heat of the Riftwar. Very good. 8)
Haven't read a 'real' novel of his for a long time though.
Give us the info. What's best? Need something to keep me going until George RR's new one in Feb. 8)
Last edited by Little Evil on Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brain

Post by Brain »

Little Evil wrote:

(Evil wipes sweat off brow, and finally comes to terms with what a nerd he is :lol: )
Jamie would say 'Camaris, behind you!' Then Jamie would kill him when Camaris turned around to look. Camaris, good fighter, not too bright.
Little Evil

Post by Little Evil »

Brain wrote:
Little Evil wrote:

Jamie would say 'Camaris, behind you!' Then Jamie would kill him when Camaris turned around to look. Camaris, good fighter, not too bright.
Tell Camaris that. :lol:
mizuhodai

Post by mizuhodai »

Little Evil wrote:
movingshadow wrote:Who do you reckon would win out of him and Camaris from Tad Williams 'Memory, Sorrow and Thorn' books?

8)
No, I haven't read anything new of his for about 5 years.
He lost me after 'A darkness at Sethanon' - but I still read all the demon stuff he wrote - even though it shat me.
I heard he has written prequels though? Would be interested to have a read.
I just read a short story of his - 'The Messenger' - which is set in the heat of the Riftwar. Very good. 8)
Haven't read a 'real' novel of his for a long time though.
Give us the info. What's best? Need something to keep me going until George RR's new one in Feb. 8)
highly recommend the new books. very good, closer feeling to the original ones...

1. Talon of the silver hawk
2. king of foxes
3 the exile returns

4. flight of the night hawks.

and The new character Talon, he would DESTROY jimmy and jamie at the same time, such a cool new hero!!!
"Are we there yet"?
"Soon enough!"
"That's not soon enough"
Little Evil

Post by Little Evil »

Allright, I'm off down the gym to do some hittin. :lol:
Yes, that's right, a nerd who can beat the shit out of people. :lol:
(Hey, when I worked out 'the Force' was bullshit, I had to find some other way to kick ass :smt003 )

Good thread. :D
Anyone got any really good nerdy goss?
Would love to hear it.
See ya's. 8)
C.I.A.

Post by C.I.A. »

Brain, one for you...

Who would win out of the following??

and

HotChipps

Post by HotChipps »

ADD_Boy wrote:
Me too, i still have my monster manuals.

And Sauron would definatley kick Darths Ass.
"Do you want to spend your life just in order to function? Or do you want to stand up and FIGHT for it?" - NIc Endo
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

C.I.A. wrote:Who would win out of the following??

and

The Master - every time! Servalan would be too busy fighting her way out of all the silk cushions.
DRS wrote:It’s uplifting while we drift through time,
‘cause we keep pushing the vibe.
C.I.A.

Post by C.I.A. »

:lol:

I'd call it a draw and split the pot.

Way too much gloating combined with overly-complicated traps. Add Servalan's raging wide-on to the mix and they would probably end up in the (silk-cushion festooned) sack together.
Little Evil

Post by Little Evil »

C.I.A. wrote::lol:

I'd call it a draw and split the pot.

Way too much gloating combined with overly-complicated traps. Add Servalan's raging wide-on to the mix and they would probably end up in the (silk-cushion festooned) sack together.
Holy Fuck!
A two hearted evil time-lord from Galafrey combined with an evil nympette with a wide-on!

Fuck baby-sitting for those fuckers! :lol:
Last edited by Little Evil on Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

C.I.A. wrote:Servalan's raging wide-on

:hahaha: :thumbup:
DRS wrote:It’s uplifting while we drift through time,
‘cause we keep pushing the vibe.
bananaman

Post by bananaman »

Nerds.

Keep it Yellow

B-Man
Brain

Post by Brain »

C.I.A. wrote:Brain, one for you...

Who would win out of the following??

and

I think this freak would kick both their asses (if he had legs).

C.I.A.

Post by C.I.A. »

w3rd, Brain. Davros is a bad-ass.

Lolz at all the D&D nerds on this forum (why am I suprised??? :smt017).
ADD_Boy
like a tiger

Post by ADD_Boy »

I want a "DnD or STFU" t-shirt !!!!
PUCK YOU MISS ~~!
C.I.A.

Post by C.I.A. »

ADD_Boy wrote:I want a "DnD or STFU" t-shirt !!!!
:smt044 :smt044 :smt044 :smt044 :smt044 :smt044

dude!!

too funny!! I want one too!!
almax

Post by almax »

just get yer marker out and colour in the B to make it a D