MIDI questions

Tips, hints, help, tech support, setups, systems and all things related to making phat beats. Post your latest production for all to hear & review. Or quiz the resident nerds about that tech problem you just can't figure out.
djboganofbeatz

MIDI questions

Post by djboganofbeatz »

Hey Guys,
I picked up a pretty old keyboard today and it just happens to have midi in/out
i was wondering if this would work with programs like ableton etc.
itd be awesome if it did but i will need a cable right?
Does anyone have a spare one of these cables lying around they would be willing to give to me for a cheap price cause seeing as i got the keyboard for free it seems pretty pointless spending 100 bux on a cable etc.
cheers,
ben
djboganofbeatz

Post by djboganofbeatz »

sweet dude thanks for the info,
i spose buying it from u.s might be an alright idea seeing as its only u.s.b powered... it sucks to be me only having 2 usb ports tho...hmmm i'll see wat i can find
djboganofbeatz

Post by djboganofbeatz »

ahh really?? ive got a laptop soo that wont ...fit in
just for questions sake... is tht game port the same as a vga output?? i doubt it wood be but eyy
LuKo

Post by LuKo »

just buy a soundcard!, they are so cheap these days theres no exscuse for anyone to not be running at least a 2 in 2 out
djboganofbeatz

Post by djboganofbeatz »

well i went into allans and they had a x2 mini in/out box ceeeppt i dont really need it atm but it may be good when the time comes...altho buy then i will have saved enough money to buy a decent soundcard
LuKo

Post by LuKo »

yes smiffy! i was talking 2 channels of audio

ie a soundcard with 2 audio ins and 2 audio outs, and 1 midi in and 1 midi out

^ that is as basic as a soundcard can get, get an m-cheapio, for an extra 50 it'll last you thru your first two synthws or samplers before you start even thinking of upgrading..eventhen you rarely need to run them together

all soundcards only have 1 midi in/out port, thats sorta standard

:wink:
Spherix

Post by Spherix »

and then if u wanna runnem together get a mixer innit.
lowercase//Immerse//Tube10//BareDubs//Sub Continental Dub//On The Edge//Camino Blue